Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

why is it that all of the camper shells with the cool features look crappy?

Old 08-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
ndub86 will become famous soon enoughndub86 will become famous soon enough
Name: Neal
ndub86's Tacoma Gallery
why is it that all of the camper shells with the cool features look crappy?

I'm in the market for a camper shell but I'm getting seriously frustrated that the ones with all the cool features (namely sliding or opening side windows - windoors on the ARE) look so bad compared to the ones that don't have any features (such as the snugtop xtr or sport). I've spent time scouring the pics of all the camper shell threads on here and still can't make up my mind. It's the age-old debate of form vs. function I guess. I still have 2 months to decide...just want it in time for winter! What do you guys think? Go with an ARE CX series or a LEER 100XR or go with something more sleek like a Snugtop Sport but without as much function?
Old 08-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
I have the ARE (CX?) with windoors that I got off craigslist...

Now that I have experienced windoors, I would never buy a cap without them. They make it Sooooooo much easier to get to stuff in the bed. I would also recommend the windoors with sliding screened windows. Much nicer for camping in it or having a pup riding around back there.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
5150 Taco is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Pete
5150 Taco's Tacoma Gallery
My brother is gonna get a shell for his Taco. I'm just not into them. I associate camper shells with the elderly for some reason.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
I think the leer looks good, not sure what you mean by looks, its a camper shell.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=33
Old 08-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
ndub86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
I think the leer looks good, not sure what you mean by looks, its a camper shell.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=33
I know...I guess the ones with larger side windows are sleeker and seem to follow the curves of the truck better. For example:

vs.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Blasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blasphemous's Tacoma Gallery
I like the red one a lot better than the silver one.

Have you considered going w/ a soft top? Out here in Cali our Winters aren't too bad, I imagine it is similar in Arizona.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
ndub86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
I like the red one a lot better than the silver one.
Even the looks? Not just for function?
Old 08-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
FATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Artillery! Boom
Name: Friends call me Ginger
FATaco's Tacoma Gallery
ARE with screened sliding windows. Best. Top. Ever.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
Blasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blasphemous's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndub86 View Post
Even the looks? Not just for function?
I think the red one looks better, not just function.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
ndub86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
I think the red one looks better, not just function.
I don't like how the tops of the bedrail show under the camper shell, I wonder if ARE has a version that can cover the bedrail but still has the windoors (that would be the only reason I would get an ARE vs. snugtop)

I haven't considered a soft top as I want this for security as well as for dry storage purposes during camping, etc. Also, I like the looks of a hardtop more
Old 08-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
ndub86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATaco View Post
ARE with screened sliding windows. Best. Top. Ever.
Your truck looks nice! How easy is it to remove and replace the screens? Also, when it's open, approx how wide would you say it is to have access to the bed for grabbing something?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
DESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DESRTRNNR's Tacoma Gallery
take a look at the SnugTop Rebel it is a nice looking shell that comes standard with screened sliding windows

Old 08-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
The109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of light
Navy:
Name: Joe
The109's Tacoma Gallery
+1 for the SnugTop Rebel. Sleek with the features I want. I ordered one about 4 weeks ago and can't wait for it to come in.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #14
ndub86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The109 View Post
+1 for the SnugTop Rebel. Sleek with the features I want. I ordered one about 4 weeks ago and can't wait for it to come in.
Mind me asking how much you paid for it?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #15
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Mine looks crappy??
SnugTop Rebel FTMFW!!!!!

Old 08-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
ndub86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
Mine looks crappy??
SnugTop Rebel FTMFW!!!!!
I didn't realize that snugtop offered something with opening side windows!

It doesn't look crappy, I just like the look of the larger side windows which aren't available if the windows open.

I'm kinda liking the look of the Snugtop XV with the sliding windows but not liking the price with all the features I would want I hear it's probably close to $3k
Old 08-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #17
ReBeLToY0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReBeLToY0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReBeLToY0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReBeLToY0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReBeLToY0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReBeLToY0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReBeLToY0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReBeLToY0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReBeLToY0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReBeLToY0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReBeLToY0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ReBeLToY0's Tacoma Gallery
Why do they not looks slick etc?o althought they don't look horrible, the old adage goes, function before fashion applies to most things in my opinion, if its looks amazing its probably crap, if it looks not so amazing its probably great.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #18
ndub86's Tacoma Gallery
By the way...definitely like the looks of the Snugtop rebel with vented windoors over ARE's version of the same thing. Probably a lot more pricey though
Old 08-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #19
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I didn't realize that snugtop offered something with opening side windows!

It doesn't look crappy, I just like the look of the larger side windows which aren't available if the windows open.

I'm kinda liking the look of the Snugtop XV with the sliding windows but not liking the price with all the features I would want I hear it's probably close to $3k
Is yours a longbed?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #20
I'm your huckleberry

Quote:
By the way...definitely like the looks of the Snugtop rebel with vented windoors over ARE's version of the same thing. Probably a lot more pricey though
My shell was $2,200.