1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD "true" CAI vs. Volant with scoop

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ClipperBill, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Aug 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM
    ClipperBill

ClipperBill [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Clayton, NC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4
    None Yet
    I have recently been trying to find the optimum CAI for my set-up...I am looking at doing the CAI and Exhaust now and eventually a S/C. I cannot seem to find anyone who has used or tested the URD true CAI with the filter in front of the radiator verses the Volant set up with the scoop. I have read the the URD requires some cutting to get the intake to lead in front of the radiator whereas the scoop goes right on top of the Radiator. I would prefer not to start hacking at my truck just yet. Any opinions? Thanks

2. Aug 28, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    Shooter808

Shooter808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mel
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, Volant CAI and Ram Air Scoop, Coverking Tactical seat covers, HID fog and headlights, tailgate anti-theft mod, LED reverse, dome, maps, corner, and amber/white DTRL, Bilstein 5100 set at 2.5" for the front, Bilstein 5100 with 1.5" blocks in rear, fog light mod
    I chose to go with the Volant CAI and Ram Air Scoop for 2 reasons: 1) I did not want to cut a hole to route the air cleaner in front of the radiator. 2) Since I plan to do a Satoshi Grill in the future, I had heard that the URD CAI was prone to taking in water if you don't have the stock grill to protect it.

I am currently running the Volant with a TRD catback system and am very happy with the setup.

3. Aug 28, 2013 at 4:22 PM
    ClipperBill

ClipperBill [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Clayton, NC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4
    None Yet
    That is good...I was considering running the same set-up...The Volant with scoop and TRD cat-back...possibly throwing in a y-pipe to cut out a couple cats and adding the URD O2 sensor after losing the 2 cats...does this sound right? If you are no S/C'd then how much throttle response did you notice?

4. Aug 28, 2013 at 5:05 PM
    Shooter808

Shooter808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mel
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, Volant CAI and Ram Air Scoop, Coverking Tactical seat covers, HID fog and headlights, tailgate anti-theft mod, LED reverse, dome, maps, corner, and amber/white DTRL, Bilstein 5100 set at 2.5" for the front, Bilstein 5100 with 1.5" blocks in rear, fog light mod
    I don't have a s/c. Just by my "seat-of-the-pants" feel, there was a very noticeable difference in the throttle response. My next project is hooking up the URD MAF Calibrator.

5. Aug 29, 2013 at 6:46 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    If I were to seriously consider the Volant, I would include a MAF Cali to ensure that the induced MAF error is fixed. As far as the URD, I have it, along with the MAF Cali and like it. I've run an AFE, a Volant scoop tied into the stock airbox and the URD. The URD is my favorite.

Yes, cutting the metal from the inner grill takes some effort, but a $25 sheet metal saw, and a bit of paint to seal the cut and it's good to go. Biggest annoyance for me was that the template was not good at giving a where-to-place-me, so I had to cut at it a couple of times. Then cutting the MAF sensor and splicing the extensions in is not necessarily easy on the mind.

Products Discussed in

To Top