1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Warranty Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rwpage, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Aug 28, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    rwpage

rwpage [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport
    Hey guys (not sure if this is the right category) but I had a question regarding the the dealer warranty. I was considering doing a simple map/dome light change to LEDs.. this might be a silly question but would this void my warranty? I don't have any experience with new cars since this is my first one, and I come from the computer world -- most of the time with any computer any time you open it up to change anything (video card, etc.) there's documentation that states most parts are not "user serviceable" meaning that if you tamper with ANY of them it voids your ENTIRE limited warranty (even on things you haven't tampered with). I was curious if this is the same case with the truck.

I haven't asked the dealership because I'm sure I'll get the "let us do it and you're covered" response.

2. Aug 28, 2013 at 8:44 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Dealer must be able to prove that the part caused the failure...for example you changing LED's could not give them an excuse to not replace your leaf springs under warranty...however, if you kill the ECU because of an electrical short directly caused by the LED's, then you are not going to get covered...

3. Aug 28, 2013 at 8:54 PM
    rwpage

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport
    That makes sense, I figured with a car warranty it would have to be more lenient, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

4. Aug 28, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
  5. Aug 30, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    rwpage

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport
    I called the dealership as anonymous caller and asked if someone were to modify the interior lighting would this void my entire warranty -- the finance guy said "yes that would void any coverage on any part anywhere in the truck." I said whoa whoa so you're telling me that if my air conditioner starts leaking freon and the only mod was an LED dome light, I wouldn't be covered? And he responded "correct, you would not be covered under your warranty -- don't change anything to your truck at all."

I'm getting the feeling this is just a standard stonewall that they use to get out of doing work, but where exactly in the Magnuson-Moss act does it say they have to prove that something I did was faulty?

EDIT: Never mind, I should've used google first before running my mouth. Found the FTC government website and it states everything right here: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  6. Aug 31, 2013 at 10:35 PM
    Richc2048

Richc2048 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Aurora, Co
    Vehicle:
    O'13 DCSB TRD O/R
    It's a pain getting them to work on a truck regardless of mods or if its bone stock. You just hear "I cannot replicate the problem", "that's at a normal tolerance level, keep an eye on it, if it gets worse we will do something." The. If it gets worse, they give you reply #1 lol.
    Few tricks I learned is make sure when you bring it in and they don't do anything, keep describing the problem in the exact same words everytime. If they write down the word rattle in one claim and a "clank" in the other they consider that as 2 separate unresolved problems. It's a joke.

7. Aug 31, 2013 at 11:34 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Get that in writing and forward it to your state's attorney general.
    They are VERY interested in hearing about car dealerships that are pushing this bullshit on their customers.

8. Sep 1, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    If you modded your wiring to make the LED to work. If your wiring had caused something in the OEM equipment to fail it wouldn't be covered. The dealership has to prove that it was your modification that caused it. If they found out it would only void that part of the warranty. Just because you put in an LED light doesn't mean they can avoid your engine warranty because of it.

I've heard of this happening. Never heard of it actually happening to someone.

Dealers say this because they don't want to deal with the mods. Plus if there is stuff that you wanted modded they'd want you to pay them to do it. It's a fear tactic they use. This is why a lot of people are afraid to work on their own vehicles. They're scared in losing their warranty if they work on the vehicles(oil changes, air filters, LED lights). If everyone learned how to work on their vehicles we wouldn't have people going to dealerships for everything. If that was the case, the dealerships wouldn't make any money.

If you use the TW board for example. Look at how many members have mods on their vehicles. If it was the case that the dealership could void their warranty if a customer touched their vehicle, a lot of these mods wouldn't be done. There are so many experienced people here who can do these things, they're going to do so. Dealerships are not gods to when it comes to automotive, they just think they are. They try and make people scared to do anything to their vehicles. I'm sure some of you members remember working in the garage with your parent(s) on your vehicles? They did it because it was a labour of love, people loved working on their vehicles. They could do the work the dealer does. Till this day people still do like doing those things. The dealerships are trying to get people away from that so they can do the work and make the money.

I'm going to be honest. I use to be like this. I would take my vehicle to the dealership for everything. That's what I was taught growing up. Yeah! I know it's wrong now. In the last few years I have been doing my own work. I found by working on my own vehicle that I learn things about it. I can fix things when they go wrong. Also, if I need help, I have the people of TW to guide me. May I add, the balls busting too at times. I take my truck apart, I change things, I also break things. I know I can put them back together. I also don't go out of my knowledge either. So never be afraid to work on your vehicle. It's yours, you pay for it. Go nuts! Have fun! You might learn something! Taking it to the dealer only makes you learn how to bend over and get screwed everytime they go into your vehicle. Especially if it somethings minor that you can do on your own.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  9. Sep 1, 2013 at 12:30 PM
    rwpage

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport
    SO eloquently put, you have me wanting to take the thing apart and put it back together! :goingcrazy:

Haha yea I totally hear you on the "doing your own work" thing. I was always taught you always take it to the dealer but I am coming to the conclusion I need to educate myself on my truck -- if I'm paying $35,000 for a piece of machinery and I don't learn everything about it, I'd cringe to think of what my platoon sergeant would do to me if I pulled something like that in the Army.

10. Sep 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    rwpage

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll call them on their bluff and say to point this out in writing.

Products Discussed in

To Top