1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration and clunk driving me CRAZY

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tbrackman84, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Sep 1, 2013 at 6:03 AM
    tbrackman84

tbrackman84 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma TRD Sport - Access Cab
    Hello all, I am a fairly new (3 week) Tacoma owner. Long story short, I was away for 6 months, came home and wanted to buy myself a new vehicle. Had very little time to make a purchase before I had to move, etc. I bought a 2007 tacoma trd sport access cab automatic truck at a dealer with 90000 miles for a good price. The truck was lifted with stock wheels and crap tires. Drove it around for the test drive and it seemed to run GREAT. well i finally get it home and after driving it around for a while, I noticed that while pulling out, the truck has a strange vibations around 10 mph and then again between 25-30. Also, while driving, if i let of the gas, then accelerate after the truck is drifting, it kind of clunks before starting to accelerate again (kind of feels like something in the driveline has to lock before it goes?) I am no mechanic by any means, so while I was away, my girl took it to a garage to have it looked over. It had the trans and diff fluid changed, among other things. Now I am driving the truck back and forth to work and everytime I get in it, I get irritated by the vibes and the clunk in driveline. I did quite a bit of research on here, even took it to a toyota dealer to ask about the TSB for it. It is of course out of warranty so i have to pay for it. I am just looking for any information on this or if any of you have been able to fix this problem. It's bothering me enough that I almost want to get rid of the truck! sorry this was so long-winded as well.

Thanks and any info/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a few picture's of it:

fdggfdgfs_zps282c444c_0aade09cc6a3b6065a0e0c34944f06d8ed9921c9.jpg

photo3214_zpsac8d8aaa_f0c415638bf8911e3f2e158000f0dac29b6e859a.jpg

photo_zpsd9a49cf4_d9011bf12c2e285208f53d813f8c1c6c4e014744.jpg

2. Sep 1, 2013 at 6:19 AM
    TheCookieMonster

TheCookieMonster cookies!!!!!!!!!!!

Member:
    North East
    Vehicle:
    1995 Hi Lux 22re 4x4 5speed
    Michelin MS2 K&N drop in filter
    Im not a fan of lifted or modified suspension trucks,the truck was designed by Engineers who made the the truck and all its components function effectively at a certain height. Now the height has been altered it has put more stress on CV joints,Universal joints any of which are now more prone to wear out or not operate as designed.

3. Sep 1, 2013 at 7:33 AM
    Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hiatt
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    4" Bodylift 20" Offroad shock spacers Turbo Encabulator
    Try looking into a carier bearing drop. Streetacos.com sells them. It will help get rid of your vibes. Also, you might want to look into getting all of your u-joints replaced. It only cost me around $114 bucks for the u-joints and installation

4. Sep 1, 2013 at 8:20 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Could you possibly get a video of it. Could help us diagnose it.

I totally agree. I love the looked of a slight lift and what not. But that's if I know everything was done right. I could never buy something lifted from someone else, unless I know them and how it was treated. In your case it's hard not to feel like your got taken for a ride and now it's something that you have to diagnosed and fix. This is how come people get inspections before they buy used vehicles. Especially with the mods on your truck. Keep us posted.

5. Sep 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    I would have a look at the carrier bearing itself too. I had to replace one on my old 96 last winter and it similar symptoms to yours. It helped quite a bit but I think the driveshaft on that truck was a little out of balance too. Couldn't complain much though considering it had over 250k miles on it.

Like someone else said I love the way a lifted truck looks. From the age of 17 until I was about 30 I always had a lifted Toyota truck as a DD. But with the exception of the solid axle rigs like the FJ40 I just sold and a few early minitrucks there were always issues with lifting them that snowballed into more parts and more money to make them right. I've had a few that I actually spent the dough to make "right"(proper suspension lifts, ring and pinion swaps, etc.) but whenever I went to sell one I absolutely lost my shirt. Not to mention the huge decrease in gas mileage the whole time while driving it. My last 4 Tacoma's I've left stock. And to be honest totally stock they'll take me the exact same places I used to take my lifted FJ40. But I'm not exactly a hardcore off roader any more either.

6. Sep 1, 2013 at 5:01 PM
    Cryous

Cryous New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2007 4Runner
    Hey there,

I own a Toyota 4Runner and we have these same issues with the 4x4 model of the rig. There have been extensive discussions about how to fix it over on T4R.org, the best solution would be to have the TSB done. However, there is another temporary solution.

Quoted directly from a thread on T4R.org

Source: http://tinyurl.com/psqa924 (Links to the thread)

I'm not 100% sure this works in the Tacoma 4x4, but I'm pretty sure the 4x4 system is the same in both rigs.

Cheers,

Ryan

7. Sep 1, 2013 at 5:20 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Lifted truck done by "no one knows" over sided tires unknown gearing and you wonder why it vibrates?

8. Sep 1, 2013 at 5:28 PM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    Howabout some post from people that have lifted trucks and may have had the same issues instead of people bashing him for buying a lifted truck that seems to have an issue.

9. Sep 1, 2013 at 5:58 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I would check wheels and tires. Make sure they're balanced and aligned. Then, I'd look at the carrier bearing-if there's no drop, I would add one. You can argue that the sway bar should be dropped too. idk. I relocated mine.

The clunk is a littler harder. If you have something like the Auburn Gear limited slip diff installed, that could be a part of what you're hearing. You could go find any area with a dirt surface and with the truck in gear, stab the gas. Let the wheels hook up then hop out and look at the marks left in the dirt-both wheels spinning indicate there's a limited slip diff in the truck. Whether you do or don't have a limited slip rear end, change the diff fluid. If you have a limited slip diff you will need to run regular gear oil with a friction modifier and *not* the LSD fluid you can buy.

Good luck.

10. Sep 1, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    ToyoTaco06

ToyoTaco06 Active Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Short box
    6" Lift, 35's
    the vibration and clunk is coming from your slip yoke. Try putting it in neutral and grab both sides of the shaft and give it a twist back and forth and watch ur slip for any play.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top