Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Should I purchase the extended warranty?

Old 11-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #81
texascolt45 will become famous soon enough
Name: mike
texascolt45's Tacoma Gallery
funny thing is I bought the supposed Toyota extra care platinum when I got my 09.the daytime running lights melted the lenses as usual.after 36,000 miles.had a difficult time getting them to pay.its got Toyota in the name but its aftermarket at least here in texas.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:12 AM   #82
okmurph1 is on a distinguished road
EMS:
okmurph1's Tacoma Gallery
That's not real promising to hear. Unfortunately for us in the south central, we have to deal with Gulf States Toyota. They are official Toyota, but due to some agreement made in the 60's or 70's, can and do act like an independent company. Hope it doesn't play that way with the ESP.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #83
TR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
TR90125's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Enhance your calm.

There is no correct answer, just a range of comfort levels for the owner and risk factors for the vehicle. As was mentioned earlier, risk is at the heart of the decision. If you never leave pavement, drive conservatively, never tow, never carry a load, perform regular maintenance yourself, etc., an extended warranty makes less sense than for the owner that regularly carries a load, tows, drives aggressively, off-roads, and has all of their work performed by a shop. The price and coverage of the service contract/warranty are other important variables. I don't want an extended warranty, but I believe it can make sense for others.
There's no room on a forum like this for open minded individuals with a strong capacity for rational thought.

Good day sir!
Old 03-14-2014, 12:50 AM   #84
rtmerry is on a distinguished road
rtmerry's Tacoma Gallery
GST dealer offered nearly $1500 for a Platinum 7 yr/100k extended warranty. Which I now realize is crazy high. But he said something about "throwing in coverage for wheels which you didn't even ask about eh?" Is this BS - what's up with the wheel coverage??? i haven't taken delivery of the vehicle nor did I sign anything with finance guy. Can I back out of it and shop around?
Old 03-14-2014, 04:47 AM   #85
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB Voodoo View Post
Buy a vehicle known for its reliability and you won't need an extended warranty.

They are a scam.

And yes, insurance is a scam too.
+1, bamatoy is bringing a Chrsler mini van in to the conversation, WTF. Town & Country's are one of the highest maint. vehicles ever built.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:19 AM   #86
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmerry View Post
GST dealer offered nearly $1500 for a Platinum 7 yr/100k extended warranty. Which I now realize is crazy high. But he said something about "throwing in coverage for wheels which you didn't even ask about eh?" Is this BS - what's up with the wheel coverage??? i haven't taken delivery of the vehicle nor did I sign anything with finance guy. Can I back out of it and shop around?
Sounds like you had a conversation, not a contract.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:34 AM   #87
tony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtony2018 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tony2018's Tacoma Gallery
I would say it depends on the dealership. There are those that want to help you get the most out of your auto and there are those who want to rape you because they don't care and that volume will still be rolling in even if you don't come there. Don't they give you the paperwork to read over before you purchase this warranty.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #88
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony2018 View Post
I would say it depends on the dealership. There are those that want to help you get the most out of your auto and there are those who want to rape you because they don't care and that volume will still be rolling in even if you don't come there. Don't they give you the paperwork to read over before you purchase this warranty.
I have never met a dealer finance guy that did not try to sell the crap. Last time I told the dude to start talking and I will just turn my head and look out the door. I made the mistake of turning back around when he said he could add for $8/month. The $8 turned out to be some hocus pocus with the financing and was really $20. I told the sales director that his finance guy almost killed a good deal. Next time I am just stating that if they even mention "Extended Warranty" then I am walking.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #89
Poodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud ofPoodle Head Mikey has much to be proud of
Poodle Head Mikey's Tacoma Gallery
this is the business-like answer

Insurance is paying someone to assume risk for you.

This makes sense if the cost of the risk would place a large or devastating financial burden on you. In that case you have little choice: you should pay the insurance company to take the risk.

But don't forget - they are taking only the risks that they have assessed as being justified. That is: their bet is that you will pay them more than they will pay you. They are no fools and know their business Very well. So they have already done the work for you - the risk of them paying out more than you pay them is small.

On the other hand; if the worst-case payout cost is manageable to you - then paying someone else to take what they have already told you is a small risk doesn't make good sense. You are better off taking the risk yourself - and gaining the benefit of not paying them.

Only you can weigh that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp223 View Post
I just bought a 2011 sr5 4 cyl. 5 spd. Its just about to top 60 000 km and I've been thinking about purchasing the extended warranty. I drive 100 000 km/yr on lots of gravel. Basically I bounce it down washboard roads at 60 mph for hours a day.

The package will get me another 100 000 or 140 000 for $2500+ (Canada money). Is this a no-brainer? Am I going to wear out the suspension, steering, etc before another hundred thou?

Also, any opinions on the gold or platinum package?