Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma 4.0L mileage

Old 09-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
I can resist everything except temptation
SamSin is just really niceSamSin is just really niceSamSin is just really niceSamSin is just really niceSamSin is just really nice

Air Force: Air Commando - 1st Air Commando Wing
Name: Jersey
SamSin's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma 4.0L mileage

I have a 2011 Tacoma DCLB 4x4 4.0L.

Prior to the Tacoma I had a 5.7L Silverado and a 3.0L Vulcan Ranger. Either one got better than 18 MPG on the highway if I was lucky.

I am surprised with the Tacoma that I have consistently been averaging a little over 18 mpg. just going back and forth to work which is about a 12 mile trip each way on secondary roads. My last fill up I averaged 18.78 mpg. For a midsize pickup I don't feel that is bad at all, especially for a 4x4.

I am looking forward to an 8 hour trip on the interstate to see if I will do even better with the Tacoma.

The only changes I have made are using synthetic oil and installing an AFE Pro Dry S air filter. I do have nitrogen in the tires, but I don't think that will make a drastic difference in mpg.

Just curious for those that say they aren’t getting great mpg. is it because of bigger tires, modifications for off road etc.? Or is it that the newer generation gets better mpg than the prior generation?

I'm just curious as to what others are getting as I have seen some posts where some say they are only getting 15 mpg. Possibly I'm lucky?
Old 09-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Too many variables to list. Lifts and bigger/heavier tires are the big killers of MPG.

I get between 18 and 19 MPG on average driving 75 mph on the interstate and mixing in city traffic (so 70/30 - highway/city). I don't tend to go easy on the pedal either, for example when the green light hits I am ready to roll. All in all I am happy with what I get. My best was 21-22 mpg on a 5-6 hour road trip going between 65-75 based on the posted speed limit. Otherwise I haven't hit that since.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
SamSin is just really niceSamSin is just really niceSamSin is just really niceSamSin is just really niceSamSin is just really nice

SamSin's Tacoma Gallery
I will post my mpg. after my return as an update to compare between highway and day to day drive to work. If I can average 21/22 Hwy. I'll be happy, that is still better than what I was getting on the previous vehicles.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
Gas mileage all depends on how you drive. Heavy on the pedal low on the mileage. On my 2006 Tacoma work truck V6 4x4 I got 21mpg best and normal city/hwy combined 15/16mpg. Which is similar to my 2004 GMC Z71 and my 2004 Tacoma V6 4x4. I do tend to drive about 5 to 10 mph above the speed limit on the hwy. Bigger tires reduce gas mileage too.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
metrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Firefighter/Paramedic
Name: Chris
metrick1215's Tacoma Gallery
My last tank was all highway miles.. 22.7... My usual tank is highway/city/mountain... and its 20-21ish.. yes mine is a prerunner but my next door neighbor has a 4cyl 4x4 and gets better than i do..so.... but it is all how you drive..
Old 09-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
I get 20.5 going back and forth to work. Mostly hwy.. I hear nitrogen improves tire wear not mpgs. My dealer adds it to sticker and I refuse. I am not paying $200 for air. I have green caps but sales guy did not think they put nitrogen in. I had them flip the tires and he said they did not have time. Either way I did not pay for it.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #7

SamSin's Tacoma Gallery
The only reason I have the nitrogen is I had gone for new tires at the local tire center. The kid backs my truck up right into a vehicle parked behind it smashing in the hood and bumper of the car.

I told the manager I don't want that kid working on my truck. ( I had no damage at all!) The manager saw I was upset and put in the nitrogen at no charge, even though I wish he would have asked me.

I found out later, the wrinkled car belonged to the manager.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #8

SamSin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrick1215 View Post
My last tank was all highway miles.. 22.7... My usual tank is highway/city/mountain... and its 20-21ish.. yes mine is a prerunner but my next door neighbor has a 4cyl 4x4 and gets better than i do..so.... but it is all how you drive..

Nice! I'd love to get 22.7 on mine.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
bearhuntermatt is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
bearhuntermatt's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 06 4.0 and am getting between 18.5 and 20 mpg. I have not done any long highway trips yet on cruise control. Just got the truck in mid-July. Most of my driving is some highway and back roads along with mountains.

As for nitrogen in your tires I believe its a huge gimmick to make extra money for dealers and tire shops. I work full time for a race team and am in charge of all tires for the four cars. The only reason that nitrogen is ran in race cars is because its dry and will not increase in pressure like air does. Another factor with race wheels is any moisture inside can create steam and excessive pressure causing a blowout. Street cars/trucks do not generate enough heat to see a difference between air and nitrogen.

If had to have nitrogen it would be way cheaper to do it yourself. Most expensive part would be a regulator. A 200 size bottle of nitrogen from Air Gas is around 50 bucks or so. A 200 size bottle will easily do 3 to 4 sets of tires depending on much your purge the tire to get all the air out.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks
Matt
Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
Over Drive is on a distinguished road

Army: 2nd/14th Armor Division
Over Drive's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearhuntermatt View Post
I have an 06 4.0 and am getting between 18.5 and 20 mpg. I have not done any long highway trips yet on cruise control. Just got the truck in mid-July. Most of my driving is some highway and back roads along with mountains.

As for nitrogen in your tires I believe its a huge gimmick to make extra money for dealers and tire shops. I work full time for a race team and am in charge of all tires for the four cars. The only reason that nitrogen is ran in race cars is because its dry and will not increase in pressure like air does. Another factor with race wheels is any moisture inside can create steam and excessive pressure causing a blowout. Street cars/trucks do not generate enough heat to see a difference between air and nitrogen.

If had to have nitrogen it would be way cheaper to do it yourself. Most expensive part would be a regulator. A 200 size bottle of nitrogen from Air Gas is around 50 bucks or so. A 200 size bottle will easily do 3 to 4 sets of tires depending on much your purge the tire to get all the air out.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks
Matt
Interesting info; thanks for sharing...
Old 09-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
My best ever was 24mpg, but I usually get 16 - 18. If you're into mileage tracking, sign up for a Fuelly account and record all of your fill ups with your smart phone.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearhuntermatt View Post
As for nitrogen in your tires I believe its a huge gimmick to make extra money for dealers and tire shops.
This. Regular air is already 78 percent nitrogen.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:46 AM   #13

SamSin's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the feedback. From what I'm reading, the synthetic oil and AFE filter haven't really added any significance to the increased mileage.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
AFZ is on a distinguished road
AFZ's Tacoma Gallery
16-17mpg

2005 AC 4x4
32" tires
Old 09-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #15
Motorshooter
Motorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: IC2 SS
Motorshooter's Tacoma Gallery
In my 07 double cab prerunner, short bed with an auto, I get around 22.4MPG on my commute to work, which is 31.2 one way.
-Not too bad for a truck
Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #16
Shanran71 has a spectacular aura aboutShanran71 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Shannon
Shanran71's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running a mild lift and 32" tires. Maybe it is the a) extra steel on my truck:ARB, sliders and All-Pro rear bumper, b) the hills and speeds, c) or the way I drive; but I have never hit 20+ mpg in my truck. My highway trips are on speed limit 70 (traffic cruises at 75-79). I run 35+ psi....I guess I'm just a lead foot
Old 09-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Searching will give you all the info you need.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #18
Pill it till you kill it!
DheadTaco is on a distinguished road

DheadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Get an average of 20.5 MPG in my 2007 DC 4.0 2WD

Removed secondary filter
AFE Pro dy S drop in filter
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic
Premium 93 octane gas
Old 09-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #19

SamSin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1983 View Post
Searching will give you all the info you need.

Searching will give mileage for stock vehicles, not necessarily for those who made modifications. If someone is getting 28 MPG (even though that is a stretch) I'd like to know what they did to get there because it sure didn't happen out of the factory.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #20
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSin View Post
Searching will give mileage for stock vehicles, not necessarily for those who made modifications. If someone is getting 28 MPG (even though that is a stretch) I'd like to know what they did to get there because it sure didn't happen out of the factory.
People getting great mpg are doing it by the way they drive, not some add on.

I get 35+ mpg in the summer with a 5-lug. I'm sure 28 would be possible with a v6 4x4 stick for me.

Tons of threads on here to search and find out what people are getting with modifications, mostly mods that make mpg worse, since there aren't many mods that improve mpg.