1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

painted my wheels

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by astartech, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Mar 6, 2009 at 1:59 PM
    astartech

astartech [OP] Member

Member:
    southern california
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner TRD sport
    Bilstien adjustable height front struts
    I was inspired by some of the members that had painted their wheels black. I love my new $25 wheels!

IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0992.jpg

2. Mar 6, 2009 at 2:00 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
  3. Mar 6, 2009 at 2:00 PM
    bradu81

bradu81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    Silver Dbl Cab 4x4
    Looks Good !!:cheers:

4. Mar 6, 2009 at 2:02 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    saweeet!

5. Mar 6, 2009 at 2:07 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Makes me jealous-It's cheap to paint rims....Buying new rubber is expensive...and your tires look AMAZING with those blacked out rims...

6. Mar 6, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock
    looks like were starting a trend, niiiice

7. Mar 6, 2009 at 2:36 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah those look sweet!!! Good job!!:D

8. Mar 6, 2009 at 3:45 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    they look good!

9. Mar 6, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    choptop

choptop Molōn labe!

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner TEP
    Very nice! What paint product did you use?

10. Mar 6, 2009 at 3:57 PM
    KMADA

KMADA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner trd sport
    15% tint, 6k HIDs, K&N intake
    Lemme know how they keep up like if it chips or anything. Because I was thinking about getting it powdercoated or just paintin them also.

11. Mar 6, 2009 at 4:01 PM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    Excellent nice work.

12. Mar 6, 2009 at 9:07 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I've had mine painted since August and the only issues I've had is some light rash after a day of moderate to hard wheeling.

I used Duplicolor regular Satin paint with Duplicolor Sandable Primer. Total...about 25 bucks and about 3-4 hours work over a weekend.

Powdercoat will prolly run you in the neighborhood of 300-500 for all 4 rims. It might last better- but if you do damage it-The whole wheel has to be redone as opposed to just touching it up with a spray can.

TONS of threads about how to prep, prime, and paint- totally worth it-The satisfaction is awesome and the look is great too!!

13. Mar 6, 2009 at 9:07 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
  14. Mar 6, 2009 at 9:19 PM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    Good job

15. Mar 6, 2009 at 9:46 PM
    KMADA

KMADA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner trd sport
    15% tint, 6k HIDs, K&N intake

Yea I might as well spray can it. Because I'm not gonna wheel hard enough for and chips or anything. I just needa make sure I find the proper thread to teach me step by step

16. Mar 6, 2009 at 9:50 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I sent this to another member via PM a while back but here goes:

I've posted tid-bits all over the place- but here is the summary:

Jacked the rear end of the truck up- Removed both wheels. Used Maquire's Wheel Cleaner and some good car soap to scrub off brake dust.
    Dried them and sanded with 800 grit until all of the finish was roughed up....It'll turn white and you'll see the scoring. Wiped it down with alcohol. Then taped off the rubber.
    I used Duplicolor Sandable primer to fill some light scratches from where they removed the wheel weights. 2 coats- Front and inside the wheel. I spot sanded between. When you use spray paint you want the solvent to "flash off" before you add another coat- Depending on the weather and what not...takes about 15-20 mins.
    Then I used Duplicolor Satin Black paint (the wheel paint didn't come in satin). I did 2 coats of that as well...No sanding between. I let them dry in the house overnight...Put them back on the truck and took the front end apart and did the same thing. I had about 4 cans of each primer and paint- But I was working on the wheels and my grill at the same time...so you might not need that much.

Cleaning them well and sanding well is important..
    The whole process will take you a whole weekend, but it's totally worth it. If you don't clean or sand well the paint won't adhere. If you rush the separate coats- The paint can bubble after it dries. Duplicolor is great paint. I've had those since March and I had no scratches on them any worse than normal wear-until I took it off roading- and even then there was only minor rash.

If you are thinking about painting your brake calipers, or drums or doing any other suspension type work-This is a great time to do it while the wheels are drying.

Good luck with it-If you've got any other questions- Hit me up!!!

17. Mar 7, 2009 at 6:35 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Thanks for the write-up. I may do this as well.

18. Mar 7, 2009 at 8:16 AM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    yeap just did mine last night.i think they look sweet.same with the grill surround.

19. Mar 7, 2009 at 10:40 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Brunes, good job. I'm assuming the process will work with steelies, too? It's going to be a while before I get new rims (unless I find a deal I cannot pass on) and I am de-chroming as much as I can and going black (and I'll never go back). I'm also getting the Westin tubes LineX'd and possibly the rear bumper so black wheels will go well, I think.

20. Mar 7, 2009 at 10:45 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I don't see what it wouldn't work with steelies- I don't know that those are coated or anything- So you might be able to wash, alcohol rub, and prime them. Sand them if the paint beads or bubbles and then re-alcohol wipe them and try again.

Products Discussed in

To Top