Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rust on Automatic Transmission Dipstick

Old 09-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #21
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be worried, it really shouldn't be rusty at all. My '07 was in humid South Florida, got short tripped a lot, and even rode out a hurricane. There's body rust, but none on the dipsticks. I would immediately pull a fluid sample and send it in for analysis. It may be wasted money, but compared to a failed tranny right after warrantee expires-?- $30 now vs. $3000 later. If there's excess moisture at least an immediate flush will mitigate damage and get it documented just in case.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #22
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeTaco View Post
Toyota doesnt have a automatic trans dipstick on the tacoma, unless they changed it for 2013. What color is the top of the dipstick and where is it located? I think you might have mistaken the oil dipstick for a trans one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

Wait.... You actually have a transmission dipstick? Did Toyota finally come to their senses and add one??

I'm having transmission dipstick envy.....
2.7 4spd auto has a dipstick and uses Toyota T-IV.
4.0 5spd auto has plugs and uses Toyota-WS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoFMS View Post
he has a 4cyl auto and from what i can rem they have always had the trans dipstick. it was the v6 autos that didnt, or am i mistaken???
Bingo.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #23
Gage05 is a jewel in the roughGage05 is a jewel in the roughGage05 is a jewel in the roughGage05 is a jewel in the rough
Gage05's Tacoma Gallery
PSU Taco85, a manual would certainly solve my rusted dipstick problems. .

I was actually considering a 5 speed, but I like the center arm rest/storage console and the separate bucket seats that you get with the automatic. I sat in a 5 speed, but the bench seat just wasn't for me.

I went to the dealer on Saturday and asked about getting a new dipstick. The service advisor took the dipstick to the service manager. He was gone for a while, but when he came back he said that it couldn't be covered under warranty and that I was out of luck.

I then called Toyota directly and have a case with them. The customer representative took my information, as well as the name of the dealership I went to, and said she would get back with me. I have yet to hear anything. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #24
ONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud of

Name: Frank
ONALL4's Tacoma Gallery
you bought a new truck from them and they won't give you new $20 dipstick I guess we found a winning dealership there
Old 09-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #25
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONALL4 View Post
you bought a new truck from them and they won't give you new $20 dipstick I guess we found a winning dealership there
Yeah! Holly shit! You'd think they give you a deal of $19.99 with taxes in. High five for that dealership.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:11 AM   #26
Gage05 is a jewel in the roughGage05 is a jewel in the roughGage05 is a jewel in the roughGage05 is a jewel in the rough
Gage05's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I didn't actually buy the truck from that dealership. The truth is I really don't like that dealership and would never buy a new vehicle from them, but they are the closest dealership to me. I thought they might be willing to help them out since I've had some service done with them in the past, but no.

I did wind up texting the salesman at the dealership, where I bought the truck, about the issue and he said they would replace the dipstick at no charge, but I would need to drive there for docentation purposes. The dealership is 1.5 hours away from me, but it's actually going to work out nicely though because we are taking a trip out of town and will be driving right past the dealership.

To be honest when I had my Honda Accord I never had problems getting stuff replaced even when I went to a dealership that I did not buy the car from. Maybe I just made a mistake going to that particular dealership.

I will say though that the initial quality of my Tacoma is leaps and bounds above the initial quality of my Accord. I was always taking the Accord to the dealership, at least initially, because of all the interior squeeks and rattles. My Tacoma however is dead silent. You would think a 4x4 truck would be more prone to that sort of thing, but no. I'm amazed at how well this truck is built.

I'm really loving my new truck! .
Old 09-14-2013, 06:10 AM   #27
Ecip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ecip's Tacoma Gallery
Really? The accord rattled? I had the same bs happening to the evo x I had.. It annoyed the shit out of me so much, a brand new car rattling and squeaking, that I sold it to get a Tacoma lol. Like u said, it's dead silent.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #28
PhatTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Jerry
PhatTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to PhatTaco
Regardless of what type of dipstick you were looking at youshould be concerned when you see rust on anything internal to the engine.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #29
Gage05's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. The Accord interior did rattle, and it was annoying. I took it to the dealership many times for those issues and others. I had a lot of problems with that Accord when I first bought it. For the first 3 years under warranty something would go wrong with it once a month. It was like clockwork, and it was never the same issue.

One of the issues was an intermittent heat shield that would rattle like crazy for the first 10+ minutes the car was running until it warmed up. I finally got that fixed 300 miles before the factory warranty expired.

I had a laundry list of issues with that car when it was new, but after the warranty was up most of the problems were fixed and it became a really reliable car with no further issues. I hated to get rid of it in the end because it ran and looked like new with 93,500+ miles on the odometer the day I traded it in, but I haven't regretted the trade. I'm having a blast in my new Tacoma.

I was able to go to the Toyota dealership where I purchased the truck. The salesman greeted me when I came in and asked me to pull the truck around to the serivce bay. When I pulled into the bay the service manager told the saleman to go grab a dipstick off another 4 cylinder Tacoma. After he did the service manager handed it to me and said: "Here you go. Sorry for the problem. Let us know if you have anymore problems." It was a clean an rust free dipstick. He then took the rusted one to the service counter to process it under warranty. This confirmed what I knew before I drove back to this dealership for the dipstick issue and that is I bought the truck from a decent dealership that believes in doing what they can to take care of their customers.

Now why couldn't the other dealership do this. The case manager from Toyota also told me there was nothing they could do when she returned my call even after she spoke to her supervisior. I don't understand why they would want to aggravate a customer who paid good money for a new truck over a part that probably cost no more than $5.00 for them to make. It doesn't make any sense to me, but I got a dipstick that isn't rusted so everything is taken care of in the end I guess. .