LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rust on Automatic Transmission Dipstick

Old 09-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Gage05 is a jewel in the roughGage05 is a jewel in the roughGage05 is a jewel in the roughGage05 is a jewel in the rough
Gage05's Tacoma Gallery
Rust on Automatic Transmission Dipstick

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the forum. I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a question.

I just bought a new 2013 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4 a few weeks ago from a Toyota dealership in a nearby city. This is my first truck ever and I have to say I love the it!!!!!

The question I have is that a few days ago I was checking the automatic transmission fluid level using the dipstick and I noticed some slight surface rust higher up on the stick towards the plastic handle. I didn't see any rust lower down where the transmission fluid covers the stick. I was kind of surprised by this because I never saw anything like this on the 2005 Honda Accord V6 I traded in, but it used a cable for the dip stick. I've also never seen this on my wifes 2004 Toyota Corolla that we bought used several years ago with 60,690 Miles on the odometer.

I took the truck to the dealership today to have it checked out. The service manager looked at the dipstick and said it was normal for it to happen. When the dipstick is removed air is introduced into the dipstcik guide and condensation can form on the dipstick.

What he said makes sense so I'm going to clean the rust off of the dipstick when I get home and moitor it regularly. I figured that the truck may have been setting for a little while before I bought it and that is the issue, but I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this issue just to make sure it isn't a sign of something more serious.

Thanks! .
Old 09-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
BlazeTaco is on a distinguished road

BlazeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota doesnt have a automatic trans dipstick on the tacoma, unless they changed it for 2013. What color is the top of the dipstick and where is it located? I think you might have mistaken the oil dipstick for a trans one.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
he has a 4cyl auto and from what i can rem they have always had the trans dipstick. it was the v6 autos that didnt, or am i mistaken???
Old 09-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
My 1st Gen 4cyl had a tranny dipstick.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
The forgetful dumbass
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
idk, but i know there is a kit you can install that adds one, but i dont think the stealership would do it. OP, can you take a few photos of the dipstick and post them up for us to see?
Old 09-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
Gage05 is a jewel in the roughGage05 is a jewel in the roughGage05 is a jewel in the roughGage05 is a jewel in the rough
Gage05's Tacoma Gallery
TacoFMS is correct. It's a 4 cylinder auto and has a dipstick. It's back towards the firewall. It's just like the dipstick on my wifes automatic Corolla only it's a lot longer. .
Old 09-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Gage05's Tacoma Gallery
It's orange in color and has a metal latch that fits over the top to keep it seated against the hole it is insert into. I'll see if I can get a pitcure of it to upload here. On my truck the engine dipstick is a yellowish color and says "Engine Oil" on both sides.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage05 View Post
TacoFMS is correct. It's a 4 cylinder auto and has a dipstick. It's back towards the firewall. It's just like the dipstick on my wifes automatic Corolla only it's a lot longer. .
Damn you!!

And actually.... On the 4.0L Auto - it's sealed and doesn't require maintenance for 100,000 miles (so they say).

Does that mean that your transmission IS NOT sealed and doesn't have the magical 100,000 mile maintenance interval?

I had to ask....
Old 09-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
Gage05's Tacoma Gallery
Okay. Here are some pictures of the dipstick as well as the rust on the sides of the stick. I took a picture of the yellow engine oil dipstick just for reference. I'm thinking it's not serious. I just need to clean it off, check it regularly, and everything will be okay. .
Attached Thumbnails
Rust on Automatic Transmission Dipstick-20130906_150002.jpg   Rust on Automatic Transmission Dipstick-20130906_150027.jpg   Rust on Automatic Transmission Dipstick-20130906_150058.jpg   Rust on Automatic Transmission Dipstick-20130906_150106.jpg   Rust on Automatic Transmission Dipstick-20130906_150111.jpg  

Old 09-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
Gage05's Tacoma Gallery
Janster,

From what I understand the 5 speed automatic on the V6 uses WS (World Service?) fluid and the 4 speed auto on my 4 cylinder uses the Type VI fluid because it's an older style transmission. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that because I very well could be.

It could well be that the automatic on the V6 has a much longer service interval I just don't know at this point.

I mean I am awesome, but I don't pretend to know everything. .
Old 09-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty sure my 4 banger auto trans scheduled service was at 50k miles.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
ONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud of

Name: Frank
ONALL4's Tacoma Gallery
04 Tacoma v6 has trans dipstick & ya I don't think it should be rusting though haven't seen any dipstick that's rusting...

Or maybe its just got poor coating so its rusting...if its a new truck couldn't you insist for the dealer to give you a new dipstick? if its my truck I'd want a new dipstick.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #14
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Just go to the dealership and shoe them and ask for a new dipstick since yours has rust
Old 09-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #15
mikebuyscars is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
mikebuyscars's Tacoma Gallery
If the dealership does not give you a new dip stick, spring for one yourself. A new dipstick may or may not be covered under warranty, but for a few dollars you can have peace of mind!
Old 09-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #16
Gage05's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, thanks guys.

I actually thought about asking them for a new dipstick and I really should have when I was there. I'll go back over there tomorrow, since I think thier service department is open then, and insist they give me a new dipstick.....considering that it's a brand new truck and all. .
Old 09-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #17
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage05 View Post
Yes, thanks guys.

I actually thought about asking them for a new dipstick and I really should have when I was there. I'll go back over there tomorrow, since I think thier service department is open then, and insist they give me a new dipstick.....considering that it's a brand new truck and all. .
No need wasting your time traveling. Just e-mail the service manager your pictures and ask him for a new one. When it comes in stock just got get it. I would be amazed if they had one of them in stock so I'm assuming you would just be wasting your time driving.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #18
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
I think the issue is not that the dipstick is rusty.. but what made the dipstick rusty.. correct?
Old 09-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #19
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
I think the issue is not that the dipstick is rusty.. but what made the dipstick rusty.. correct?

meh trucks sitting......... condensation will build.

not like everyone who takes short trips in cold weather running mobil 1 doesn't have a TON of moisture in their oil
Old 09-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #20
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
meh trucks sitting......... condensation will build.

not like everyone who takes short trips in cold weather running mobil 1 doesn't have a TON of moisture in their oil
Not necessarily in the oil itself but builds up at the oil fill spout. Looks like something they whip up at the local coffee house!

If it smelled like chocolate, it'd be tempting to lick it!! LOL

Rust on the dipstick, just means they used cheap metal. Cheap or unprotected metal + moisture = rust