Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Baja shocks rusting

Old 09-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
tacoma steve is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
tacoma steve's Tacoma Gallery
Baja shocks rusting

How many with baja's have thier rear shocks rusting? Is there anything I can do to remove it?
Old 09-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
jaymac10 is a glorious beacon of lightjaymac10 is a glorious beacon of lightjaymac10 is a glorious beacon of lightjaymac10 is a glorious beacon of lightjaymac10 is a glorious beacon of lightjaymac10 is a glorious beacon of light

jaymac10's Tacoma Gallery
Wire brush then some type of spray on protectant?
Old 09-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Since you are in NH, I'd research Fluid Film or other spray on anti corrosive treatments. That's the only way you are going to stop rust, period. I'm approaching final phase of my project to scrape, brush, wash and paint my frame. After 8 years, it's bad, but not as bad as I first thought.

My yellow Bilsteins are only yellow under the stickers, every other spot on my shocks is crusty and rusty.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
NH problems
Old 09-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al Tonter
jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Did toyota give you a mismatched spare from the factory? That looks like a bfg rugged trail under the bed, i thought they came with bfg at/ko...like you have on the ground?

Bummer about the rust...maybe try naval jelly?
Old 09-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
CorrosionX does a good job protecting without looking bad. CRC heavy duty rust inhibitor works great but leaves a brown tacky film like cosmoline. If you can imagine wax mixed with grease, that's about what it is. I like the stuff and don't mind it's industrial look at all, but most would likely find it ugly.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I totally spaced removal. Hydrocloric (muriatic) acid, but of course with extreme care and neutralize afterwords. Strangely I've found that castrol super clean does well at helping remove rust. Spray, wait, scrub with a brush. Rinse well and rewash everything with soap to prevent it leaving a residue.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:14 AM   #8
Ok cool looks like I got some reasearching to do. Thanks for the replies. I thought when it was new the connections on the line were posished. Doubt I can ever get it back to looking like that.

[QUOTE=jmg256;7400053]Did toyota give you a mismatched spare from the factory? That looks like a bfg rugged trail under the bed, i thought they came with bfg at/ko...like you have on the ground?

Ya it is I think the Baja's start as tx pro's then get converted. That's all that come with those tires I think.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #9
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg256 View Post
Did toyota give you a mismatched spare from the factory? That looks like a bfg rugged trail under the bed, i thought they came with bfg at/ko...like you have on the ground?

Bummer about the rust...maybe try naval jelly?
My Texas Edition didn't come with a matching spare. Came with BFG Rugged Terrains on the truck and a cheapo spare.

Op, if those fittings are stainless it might clean off fairly easily, have you tried anything to get it off yet?
Old 09-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #10
I havent tried anything yet. Didn't even thing they might be stainless.

Steve
Old 09-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #12
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Bronze phosphorus brush and some break- free CLP. Then wash and protect with this. http://www.fluid-film.com/ Regardless even if theyvare stainless there probaly a cheaper grade which still contains carbon and is going to rust even more.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
I think steel wool will shine them up. I had some very fine steel wool iand it worked a little. I think if I get some a little more aggressive it might work then put somethibg on it to protect them
Anyone see anything wrong with using the steel wool?.

Steve
Old 09-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #14
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
the shocks are zinc plated steel. once you get some of the rust off, you could try a cold galvanizing spray. it will look close to the factory coating but will not last forever. it will require occasional re-coats and you will have to figure out how to deal with overspray.

a small stainless "toothbrush" will knock the rust down enough to coat. knock the big stuff off and wipe down with acetone or lacquer thinner before spraying
Old 09-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I found this Krud Kutter stuff and it does take rust off.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
Maybe I'll try the krud cutter and some steel wool.

Steve
Old 09-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #17
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma steve View Post
Maybe I'll try the krud cutter and some steel wool.

Steve
just remember, they are ZINC plated. it will scratch off. be sure whatever cleaner you use to remove rust is ok on zinc. someone mentioned acid above. . . acid is no bueno on zinc
Old 09-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #18
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al Tonter
jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
just remember, they are ZINC plated. it will scratch off. be sure whatever cleaner you use to remove rust is ok on zinc. someone mentioned acid above. . . acid is no bueno on zinc
Niether is naval jelly, a it is phosphoric acid, disregard Than
Old 09-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #19
Gearhead
Tooth brush and rubbing compound. Then wash well and paint or apply a protectant. Cold galvanize paint AKA zinc rich primer. I've used this on lots of stuff including a trailer that goes into salt water. It's great stuff and will last a LONG time. Shake well and often throughout the job as the zinc is heavy and separates. Test spray it on something first as you'll find this stuff flows hard and fast and has extremely good coverage compared to most spray paints. It dries super fast too. Good masking is a must! I've actually used it right over crusty rusty metal and it stops the rust so prep is kinda optional. It not only creates a barrier like paint, it's applying a sacrificial anode which is why it works so well. Even a scratch won't rust like scratched regular paint. CRC is the best I've used, but the krylon works well too.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #20
So I'm thinking I might swing by the dealer see if this might be covered. If there is a anti rust coating on it and it's rusting then maybe. I doubt they'll cover it under warranty but worth it to try before I really start trying things on it. Thanks for all the replies.

Steve