Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2nd gen brake upgrade

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
Dennis = sinneD
Mr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to all
Mr.Fahrenheit's Tacoma Gallery
2nd gen brake upgrade

hello tw,

got a question for you 2nd gen owners.....i have a friend that has a 06 4x4 with v6 and he really wants to do a brake upgrade....

now i've read up and saw that there is the obvious rotor and pad upgrade, but have you guys seen a complete upgrade as in rotor size, caliper upgrade, so on and so on....i am aware that if there is such a upgrade the wheels will have to be upgraded as well to fit the larger brakes......does anyone have any info....also prices on anything and everything???

focused more on the front but there is any info for the rear im all ears....

thanks guys/gals
Old 03-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Dennis = sinneD
Mr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to all
ah yes yes, thanks.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
Crazy Person.....
br217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nice
br217398's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to br217398
im gonna add on to the question.... is there a xrunner upgrade kit???? i cant really find one that is the entire kit if so.....
Old 03-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Dennis = sinneD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
Yeah....It's like 70 bucks for SS lines...Throw in another 20 for some good fluid. Maybe some dust-limiting pads. That'll stiffen up the brakes no problem.

Is your buddy trying to upgrade brakes for a reason (towing, racing, etc)...or just to have them feel a bit firmer??

i think he wants to upgrade brakes because he says when he tows he doesn't like the way the brakes feel......im not sure......maybe he is towing too much..
Old 03-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Crazy Person.....
br217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nicebr217398 is just really nice
Im not sure about the towing thing, but in my 4cyl 5 lug i would love better stoping power so i can slam on my breaks while being tailgated, and trade up to a 6 cyl

i didnt know where to find the conversion kit so thanks a ton
wolfpack!!!!!
(sorry for hijacking the thread)
Old 03-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #8
Dennis = sinneD
Quote:
Originally Posted by br217398 View Post
Im not sure about the towing thing, but in my 4cyl 5 lug i would love better stoping power so i can slam on my breaks while being tailgated, and trade up to a 6 cyl

i didnt know where to find the conversion kit so thanks a ton
wolfpack!!!!!
(sorry for hijacking the thread)

damn hijacker....j/k its cool

it gave the guy an option for rear disc conversion........if he wants to spend the money...

so it seems only different rotors and pads and lines are the only up grades for the front brakes????
Old 03-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Fahrenheit View Post
i think he wants to upgrade brakes because he says when he tows he doesn't like the way the brakes feel......im not sure......maybe he is towing too much..
There is a thread around here somewhere about swapping the rear brakes- The basic jist is-It doesn't help with stopping power.

Stainless steel lines and better fuild with better pads and maybe new front rotors is the way to go....It's not NEARLY as expensive as a full on conversion kit.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #10
Crazy Person.....
well the question i have, is with me having the stock brake fluid and ive got 60k miles on my truck, what fluid would be best????
Old 03-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #11
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
I think lots of the upgrade kits use Motul.

Motul 5.1 is a synthetic fluid with a higher boiling point then the DOT3 that I think the Taco comes with. It is compatible and should help with brake fade during heavy use. Make sure to completely and properly bleed the system after you drain and refill it.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #12
Dennis = sinneD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Your welcome!

Different meaning larger, and better calipers, rotors, SS lines, system flush, and good fluid would be a nice route but expensive.
Dont underestimate a simple rotor/pad change, you would be surprised.
Im going to try and save some money and have a set of SS lines on the way, then have the system flushed. I just had my pads/rotors checked and they are good.
I wanted to go with new rotors and pads but they are on backorder and I dont think I have the $$ right now.

yea i guess he wants larger......im sure he'll go to the route of rotor, pad, ss lines and fluid but i want to give him option since ill be getting paid to do the upgrade for him....

Quote:
True, I priced powerlsots (only ones in stock), hawk pads, SS lines, and fluid to about 500.00 first choice was brembo but had to special order.

Much better than 2k+

damn for sure better upgrade for the money, again up to this guy and i think he might be willing to drop any dollar amount. where did you get these prices?? im curious how much the brembos are. do you think the brembo are the best front rotor upgrade?
Old 03-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #13
Dennis = sinneD
Quote:
http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp $427.00 for 2 power slots, hawk pads, ss lines.

I have had Brembos before and they are my personal fav. YMMV Brembo blanks are 83.00. I drove the hell outta my maxima with em and never had an issue.
Im not knocking any other manufacturers by any means.

right on.... i see the brembos are just replacement rotors, do they have and cross drilled or slotted???
Old 03-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #14
Dennis = sinneD
ok guys i got the go ahead from this guy to installed new rotors, pads, lines, and flush i have 600 bucks to spend so i dont really know what stuff is out there for a 06 taco 4x4 v6. if you guys had 600 bucks to spend on brake upgrades what would you get????
Old 03-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #15
Dennis = sinneD
cools thanks for the advise wolf!
Old 03-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #16
tc2008 has a spectacular aura abouttc2008 has a spectacular aura about

tc2008's Tacoma Gallery
hey wolf, do these brembos fits the rear if we do the rear conversion dis brake?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #17
tc2008 has a spectacular aura abouttc2008 has a spectacular aura about

tc2008's Tacoma Gallery
really? so there no point for me to be upgrading my rear drum brakes to disc?
Old 03-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #18
Dennis = sinneD
Quote:
Honestly I wouldnt, if I had the $$ I would look into a BBK (big brake kit) instead. Unless u race or tow a lot, I would stick with the original plan of rotors/pads, flush, lines, and see how that fits your needs. Thats just my $0.02 tho
do they even have big brake kits i could find any....would the guys 600 cover a BBK??
Old 03-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #19
Dennis = sinneD
holy s***
Old 03-15-2009, 11:57 PM   #20
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc2008 View Post
really? so there no point for me to be upgrading my rear drum brakes to disc?
Putting disc brakes in the rear involves a lot more than just slapping them on. The master cylinder & proportioning are different for discs/drum setups to disc/disc setups. If you don't do everything right - you're not gonna get the proper braking. And that's not even including the ABS system and how its integrated with everything.

I wouldn't mess with putting discs on unless you really know what you're doing.

Products Discussed in this Thread