Notices

Question about A/C condensation drain.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #21
Dizo is on a distinguished road
Name: Oliver
Dizo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Pete626 View Post
I used my A/C a lot this year (especially the last couple of weeks with 100+ degree days) and after being parked for awhile there's quite a huge puddle of water under my truck. I could only imagine how much of it sits in the frame!
Just today I was working on some freezing concerns that lead to shortening engine breather hoses on our haul trucks at work. In a colder climate long hoses tend to provide more opportunity for freeze up, especially when they are routed all the way to the base of the vehicle. Toyota has to design a truck for all climates and they must have decided that the risk of a little bit of cosmetic surface rust wasn't as much of a concern as freezing the line was.

If you'll never see cold temps then why not extend it , but i'm doubtful Toyota made the decision based purely on a few cents of hose. A frame rust issue because of a clear 'design fault' such as this would be an easy warranty sell at any rate.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #22
Taco Pete626 is on a distinguished road
Name: Peter
Taco Pete626's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizo View Post
Just today I was working on some freezing concerns that lead to shortening engine breather hoses on our haul trucks at work. In a colder climate long hoses tend to provide more opportunity for freeze up, especially when they are routed all the way to the base of the vehicle. Toyota has to design a truck for all climates and they must have decided that the risk of a little bit of cosmetic surface rust wasn't as much of a concern as freezing the line was.

If you'll never see cold temps then why not extend it , but i'm doubtful Toyota made the decision based purely on a few cents of hose. A frame rust issue because of a clear 'design fault' such as this would be an easy warranty sell at any rate.
That's a good point. Still, I think Toyota could have place the drain where it didn't drip onto anything
Old 09-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #23
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizo View Post
I can also confirm that extending the hose simply wouldn't work in a colder climate because of freezing concerns. Yes, you rarely use your A/C when its cold out, but left over condensation can build up and some situations require A/C even in the cold.
Defroster runs the AC compressor and will generate condensation.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #24
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Both settings
Old 09-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #25
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Unless you do the mod that disables automatic AC with defrost
Old 09-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #26
Factory Pilot
TxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Water Sprayer & naysayer
TxFireman's Tacoma Gallery
Freezing is a valid point for many, but not for me, where I live. I can almost hold my breath for as long as our temps drop below freezing. But, I can see where it could be a concern up north. I stopped in this morning and grabbed the hose and joint to do mine.

If I lived somewhere with cold winters and hot summers, I would likely just remove the addition during the really cold portion of the winter. But I think it's a valid option for those of us who don't want to live with it like it is.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #27
Factory Pilot
TxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

On second thought, wouldn't the engine compartment warmth keep the hose temps up, in most conditions? I would think so. In an extreme environment, with the addition, you could put it as close to engine/exhaust warmth as you felt comfortable. I certainly don't think a long hose is going to freeze up any more than the shorty.

So, engine running, probably warm enough to prevent freezing. Engine off, it's probably done dripping by the time the engine cools down enough to return the compartment to sub freezing temps. Just a thought.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #28
Dizo is on a distinguished road
Name: Oliver
Dizo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFireman View Post
On second thought, wouldn't the engine compartment warmth keep the hose temps up, in most conditions? I would think so. In an extreme environment, with the addition, you could put it as close to engine/exhaust warmth as you felt comfortable. I certainly don't think a long hose is going to freeze up any more than the shorty.

So, engine running, probably warm enough to prevent freezing. Engine off, it's probably done dripping by the time the engine cools down enough to return the compartment to sub freezing temps. Just a thought.
Depends where they're routed. Even the engine breathers on our haul trucks up here have freezing issues in winter. You have to route a hose pretty close to the engine to keep it above freezing even in -20C, which it's reasonable to say most vehicles need to be designed for. I think anyone concerned about rusting issues from the condensation drain isn't too concerned about freezing, so you're probably good to go with the extension
Old 09-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFireman View Post
Driving through the Vail area in a snowstorm, all leading and side surfaces of my '03 Tundra were covered in 1/4-1/2" of ice, including the hood, and the roof and windows of the (well heated) cab.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #30
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty sure my 06 drain tube is longer than that. I remember moving it out the way when installing my UCAs and later figured out what it was so I aimed it at the ground.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #31
Factory Pilot

Quote:
Driving through the Vail area in a snowstorm, all leading and side surfaces of my '03 Tundra were covered in 1/4-1/2" of ice, including the hood, and the roof and windows of the (well heated) cab.
Honestly, that's not a direct reflection of what was going under the hood. Cold under there? Probably. But sub freezing temps, possibly/possibly not. Some guys in the colder climates block off a portion of their grill to help with engine warm up etc. too, which will also aid in keeping the compartment that much warmer for operation.

In a nutshell there can be no end to the possibles and what ifs. In the end it boils down to each person known their environment. For those of us who hardly ever see freezing temps (in my case it's usually the wee hours of the morning when I'm warm in bed), and want to prevent the rust, it's a sound and easy option to just add the extension. Everyone else will have to weigh the possibilities. I can see the side of those who don't care about some surface rust building up, and I can side with those who feel it's worth limiting if you can. I'm comfortable with my choice, and everyone else should be too, no matter what they chose to do.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #33
What's all this, then?
atebit will become famous soon enoughatebit will become famous soon enough

Army: Defend and Serve
atebit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of clogging with gunk, not necessarily with ice. That was the issue on my Celica. Also at home infrequently I've had to perform a compressor angioplasty on my A/C condensate lines due to mineral or other gunk residue clogging the lines. The narrower & longer the hose the more likely it is to clog in this way.

If you examine the extension line once or twice a year for blockages prolly will be fine.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #34
Failure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailure2Comply is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: John
Failure2Comply's Tacoma Gallery
Between the dirt that gets by the air filter, and the biological growing, EVERY condensate pan has a science experiment that would panic the CDC. Well maybe not the CDC, these are the people that ship Ebola through the US Postal Service. So restricting the hose outlet can cause this gel/slime/dirt to back up and then you have a condensate leak. In commercial and residential a/c we clean the evaporator coils each spring with a cleaner/disinfectant to kill the biological and to flush the coil, pan, and drain lines. Even something like Formula 409, Fantastic, or any similar spray multipurpose cleaner will do the job if enough is applied and a garden type pump up sprayer works great for applying the chemical. You do not have to rinse it as the condensate makes the evaporator self-rinsing. Now your lady complaining about the smell, well that is another issue.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #35
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Lol at surface rust. Toyota only covers rust perforation for something like 8 years. Key word, perforation. Some water dripping on the frame and causing love rust will be laughed out of the dealer.

If it bothers you, spray that section of the frame with Fluid Film so that it beads up and rolls off the frame onto the ground.

I'd kill to have a frame that still looked like all of yours right now.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:11 AM   #36
InfernalTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Pedro
InfernalTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I work as a service advisor at my local Toyota dealership and this is a very common problem amongst many Toyotas, the water leaks all over the O2 sensor and causes them to short out. I replaced two in last two days alone for this issue.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernalTacoma View Post
I work as a service advisor at my local Toyota dealership and this is a very common problem amongst many Toyotas, the water leaks all over the O2 sensor and causes them to short out. I replaced two in last two days alone for this issue.
So how do you guys fix this at the dealership(talking about the hose, not the o2 sensor)? I wonder if faulty o2 sensors cause by this drain is responsible for some Taco owners out there with horrendous mpg?
Old 09-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #38
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
A section of garden hose works...

attached screen on drain hose to keep the critters out...
That looks like it didn't cost you anything! I do have some old garden hose lengths in garage. I may give this a try. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #39

Quote:
I wonder if faulty o2 sensors cause by this drain is responsible for some Taco owners out there with horrendous mpg?
It would generate a CEL.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #40
InfernalTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Pedro
InfernalTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So how do you guys fix this at the dealership(talking about the hose, not the o2 sensor)? I wonder if faulty o2 sensors cause by this drain is responsible for some Taco owners out there with horrendous mpg?
Honestly, on certain models we can modify the direction in which the drain will empty but judging by the pics of the Tacoma drain, adding a line extension would make most sense. Since that isn't an authorized Toyota modification (no TSB's, Tech Tips, etc) they wont normally do that for you. The other thing I thought of is maybe making a shield of some sort to direct the flow of water from the drain over the O2 sensor wire.