1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Creaking Clutch Pedal in 2013 - Not Squeaky - Creaky

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kiteboarder, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Sep 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    kiteboarder

kiteboarder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I drive stick. Only.
    To come.
    I did my homework and found these somewhat related threads:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/284946-clutch-pedal-binding-creaking-noise.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/12837-squeaky-clutch-pedal.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...aking-clutch-pedal-chirping-blower-motor.html

However, they're mostly old threads and I'm wondering how they, and their respective TSB's apply to 2013+ Tacomas.

I have a 2013 Tacoma V6 4x4 6-Speed. And, like all Toyota clutches, I expected mine to start squeaking at some point. However, at 8,000 miles it didn't start squeaking, it started creaking. Much worse.

Much worse, because the "Toyota squeak" is easily fixable with a loud stereo. But, the creaking not only makes faint fart noises, but you can feel the farts in your foot. So, no matter how ear-piercing-loud Metallica is playing in my stereo, the creak, which feels like tiny stepped increments as the pedal is let out, can be felt all the way up my leg. And it pretty much ruins the ride of this otherwise magnificent truck. Mine doesn't even have much of the common shudder under acceleration - only a tad bit. It's pretty smooth. But the dang clutch creak ruins it all.

So... What I'd like to know is, how do those old TSB's apply to new 2013+ trucks? Does Toyota simply put the old parts from the parts bin in the new trucks in hopes that only a few of them will have to be replaced - which they then replace with newer upgraded parts from the TSBs? Or is it going to be like Ford where no matter how many times the parts are replaced with supposedly better parts, the issue will always come back?

I know, I can easily just take the truck to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty. But I want to learn more about the situation for future planning as I would like a permanent fix and not something that will bring the creak back next year.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sep 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    luvium

luvium Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB 4x4 TRD Offroad M.G
    Trimmed front flaps Extra D rings
    My 96 taco 4x4 did the same thing for 17 yrs. I just turned up the radio like you said.

3. Sep 12, 2013 at 1:43 PM
    speedydave

speedydave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hickory, Nc
    Vehicle:
    Mustang GT
    My other one did it. Take it in to the dealer.

4. Sep 29, 2013 at 9:01 PM
    Taco Pete626

Taco Pete626 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 5-spd (Sold )
    - Undercover Flex tonneau cover - Pop N Lock tailgate lock - Weathertech DigitalFit floor liner - Sick Speed Ol' Skool white shift knob - Bench seat mod - Wiper mod - Cruise control mod
    My tacoma started doing this the other day. The creaking was really starting to annoy me so I just squirted some lithium grease at the hinge point for the spring and clutch pedal and it solved the problem. In fact, the grease made it felt like I had a brand new clutch! My clutch engagement is so much smoother now. I recommend giving a shot of lube cause a little bit of lube solves most of life's problems. Footwell is really cramped so panels may have to be removed (luckily I had a straw for my grease spray so I was able to maneuver it in there w/o removing panels).

5. Sep 29, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    Skeeter Skeetin

Skeeter Skeetin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Daphne, AL
    Vehicle:
    MGM 4x4 V6 6 speed
    5100's all around w/ 1.75" front. 1.5" Toytec AAL ARE shell with roof rack. Weathertech vent-visors and floormats 20% tint on front. Black and charcol wet okole's VLED V3 Triton DTRL's/turn signals. ECGS bushing
    Talk to the dealer. They replaced the pedal and other parts of the assembly on my 2012 and it fixed it.

tcam27 likes this.
  6. Sep 30, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    kiteboarder

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I drive stick. Only.
    To come.
    Hey guys, after a week of procrastinating the clutch creak simply went away. I'm going to go ahead a lube it with lithium grease just in case, but as of right now it's simply not doing it anymore. Might have been the hot weather during that last bit of summer.

7. Sep 30, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Mine did it for 2 years one day it didn't and has never done it again. My "97" did it for 285,000 miles nothing ever broke.

8. Nov 1, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    MetallicTaco

MetallicTaco Taco Driver Since '07

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC SB
    TRD Supercharger Alpine INE-Z928HD, TT Image Dynamics Components, TT 10" sub, JL Audio 4/600, Alpine Front and Rear facing camera lic plates
    I'm experiencing this exact same thing. The creaking is really pronounced in first gear, and like the OP I can feel it through my foot and all the way up my leg. My truck has 8k miles on it. I recently moved to San Diego where driving a stick in morning traffic can be brutal. I think all the use of the pedal has accelerated the wear on it and is causing the creak. Its going to the dealer tomorrow, will update with the outcome.

9. Nov 1, 2013 at 2:32 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    i sprayed mine with some lithium grease, went away but is now back

10. Nov 1, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    reece13

reece13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport, 6spd, 4wd
    Toytec Coilovers, Total Chaos uca's, Wheelers aal+Bilstein 5160's. 285/70/17's, Method Double Standards. Magnaflow exhaust, GrilleCraft grille, Allpro bumper,diff breather relocate, yellow wire mod, oil catch can, weathertechs.
    Lithium grease. Spray some up under the pedal, you will see point of "creek"
    when you get under there and mess with it. Don't waste your time with a dealership. Just spray it once a month and be done. its a common, non fatal issue with tacomas

11. Nov 1, 2013 at 3:24 PM
    MetallicTaco

MetallicTaco Taco Driver Since '07

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC SB
    TRD Supercharger Alpine INE-Z928HD, TT Image Dynamics Components, TT 10" sub, JL Audio 4/600, Alpine Front and Rear facing camera lic plates
    I'll spray the bastard and see how it goes, thnx for the advice.

12. Nov 1, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    If you don't have grease handy you can just twist the plastic part of the plunger back and forth a little bit to spread around the existing grease

13. Nov 2, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    Taco Pete626

Taco Pete626 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 5-spd (Sold )
    - Undercover Flex tonneau cover - Pop N Lock tailgate lock - Weathertech DigitalFit floor liner - Sick Speed Ol' Skool white shift knob - Bench seat mod - Wiper mod - Cruise control mod
    My creaking noise has returned. I brought it to the dealer in hopes of them finding a fix, but the tech stated that he could not "replicate" the problem. When I got the truck back, it stopped making the noise, but by next morning the noise was back again. If I have time, I will take it to another dealer and see what happens. For now, I will grease it with some synthetic grease that I have and see if it lasts any longer. As soon as it starts making noise, back to the dealership it goes. I will do this until my warranty runs out. Small issue? Maybe, but for premium price I paid for a Toyota truck over others, I believe that Toyota could have done a better job in designing the pivot in such a way that it remains greased for more than a month.

14. Nov 2, 2013 at 10:08 PM
    sloshy

sloshy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport
    NONE
    I took my truck to the dealer, got the can not replicate problem thing too, so I walked the tech and service adviser to my truck and showed them what I was talking about. They order $400 worth of parts and I came back the following week to get it fixed noise is gone for me. Im not sure but i think they did the pedal assembly and the clutch master cylinder. so I don't think greasing it up will help much but i didn't try it.

I will look for my receipt to see exactly what they changed i think there were part numbers on there

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  15. Nov 17, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    floridaoccifer

floridaoccifer Civil Servant

Member:
    Well this will be the second time I bring my truck in for this. I have a 2012 and they replaced the ENTIRE assembly about 7-8 months back.... This afternoon the creak returned.

This sound drives me insane

...more to come

16. Feb 11, 2014 at 8:28 PM
    Taco5speed

Taco5speed Active Member

Member:
    Suffolk County, Long Island
    Vehicle:
    2014 AccessCab 2.7 5speed
    Stock
    my 2014 creaks like crazy. Only 5000 miles. what a shame corporate hasn't resolved this issue for two generations of tacomas. Its a cool truck but I'm missing my Subaru big time nowadays. Awesome product and class corporation. can't say the same for toyota. Never will I buy another Toyota.

17. Feb 11, 2014 at 10:43 PM
    kiteboarder

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I drive stick. Only.
    To come.
    Hmmm. Dunno if I would be so harsh on it. I think the squeak is minor and might be an easy fix. After all, don't we all go crazy modding cars to make then "better"? This fix could be a worthwhile mod.

Anyway, mine stopped squeaking when the temps dropped. So I even forgot about it until I saw this thread again. We'll see what happens this summer when the temps start climbing again.

18. Aug 7, 2014 at 6:36 PM
    Mtn Tacoma

Mtn Tacoma Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    MI
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM AC OR
    I just had the exact same thing as the OP happen to me this week. It used to only creak/squeak in 1st gear during the winter but now it does it all of the time!

I'm assuming this is a day fix at the dealership not an overnighter, right?

19. Aug 7, 2014 at 6:53 PM
    LocoTaco

LocoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD Sport
    My 09 did it when the truck was still under extended warranty, I took it in and they ended up replacing the entire clutch assembly.

20. Aug 8, 2014 at 10:17 AM
    kiteboarder

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I drive stick. Only.
    To come.
    By the way. Mine has been fine for months since I lubed it with spray white lithium grease. The other day, in very hot weather, it starting creaking again during a long stop and go traffic drive, but not much. It went away within the day.

It's been pretty good I feel.

Next time, when it needs lube again - and that should be soon... I'm going to lube it with Super Lube instead of the spray on white lithium grease. I felt the white lithium is way too thing and watery. It also stinks. I'll see if the Super Lube gives me the same results without the smelly mess.

Products Discussed in

To Top