11-13mpg 45 3.87%
14-16mpg 268 23.04%
17-19mpg 554 47.64%
20-22mpg 220 18.92%
22+ 71 6.10%
Voters: 1163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #441
Now my Taco is bloody Red, ewww
"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed

"OldManTan"'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Communistwookie View Post
20 mpg in town
24 mpg highway @ 55-65mph
22 mpg highway @ 65-80mph

2007 Toyota Tacoma V6/Automatic PreRunner - Borla Intake/Exhaust, 35psi in Michelin LTX M/S2, 87 Ethanol free gas
If you have done the math correctly, ethanol free gas is the key. I could have pushed 21+ in my 4wd with ethanol free a few times. Unfortunately it is $.50 more per gallon, and not worth it imo.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #442
Communistwookie is on a distinguished road
Communistwookie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by "OldManTan" View Post
If you have done the math correctly, ethanol free gas is the key. I could have pushed 21+ in my 4wd with ethanol free a few times. Unfortunately it is $.50 more per gallon, and not worth it imo.
Yeah, math is correct. I get significantly lower mpg when I don't run it, however it is cheaper according to this: http://www.roadtripamerica.com/fuel-cost-calculator.php not even considering the damage that ethanol does to your engine over time.

Topic was discussed here in a older thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...s-2-weeks.html

Luckily the price difference here isn't as drastic, last fill up I believe it was only a twenty nine cent difference

Running regular gas I was getting closer to 17mpg around town and 20mpg was the best highway pull I was able to manage usually right around 19
Old 01-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #443
"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OldManTan" is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yeah, math is correct. I get significantly lower mpg when I don't run it, however it is cheaper according to this: http://www.roadtripamerica.com/fuel-cost-calculator.php not even considering the damage that ethanol does to your engine over time.

Topic was discussed here in a older thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...s-2-weeks.html

Luckily the price difference here isn't as drastic, last fill up I believe it was only a twenty nine cent difference

Running regular gas I was getting closer to 17mpg around town and 20mpg was the best highway pull I was able to manage usually right around 19
I can't justify the price. Ours is 91 octane too, so they get you on that also. I have faithfully started running it in all my tools and toys though.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #444
Solve et Coagula
Silence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilence9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Silence9's Tacoma Gallery
19.1 MPG in summer.
16.2 MPG in winter.

Combined, roughly 60% highway and 40% city.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #446
Pete838 will become famous soon enough
Name: Pete
Pete838's Tacoma Gallery
I've read the last couple pages of this thread and haven't noticed anyone mention speedometer correction when calculating fuel mileage. If someone already did I'm going to reiterate.

For anyone running over or undersized wheels/tires, remember unless you've had your speedos corrected either by calibration or with a module it is wrong, and that affects your odometer, and your odometer affects your fuel mileage calculations.

Under sized tires or wheels have to turn more rotations to get you the same distance and will give you an overly rosey reading on mpg. Oversized tires travel farther with each rotation and will give you an incorrectly low reading. There are correction multipliers you can use if you know your original tire size and new size.

My mostly stock Prerunner Tacoma with stock tire outside diameter and mostly highway driving 65-75 mph with a little bit of city driving gets 18.5-19.2 mpg reliably. If I idle a lot or push it it drops to no less than 17. I currently have 180,000k miles on her.

Pulling trailers it drops like a stone. 400 miles pulling a 6x12 enclosed uhaul trailer netted 11.2 mpg, and I average about the same pulling a pontoon boat or my company's Bobcat on a tandem axle trailer.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:36 PM   #447
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete838 View Post
I've read the last couple pages of this thread and haven't noticed anyone mention speedometer correction when calculating fuel mileage. If someone already did I'm going to reiterate.

For anyone running over or undersized wheels/tires, remember unless you've had your speedos corrected either by calibration or with a module it is wrong, and that affects your odometer, and your odometer affects your fuel mileage calculations.

Under sized tires or wheels have to turn more rotations to get you the same distance and will give you an overly rosey reading on mpg. Oversized tires travel farther with each rotation and will give you an incorrectly low reading. There are correction multipliers you can use if you know your original tire size and new size.

My mostly stock Prerunner Tacoma with stock tire outside diameter and mostly highway driving 65-75 mph with a little bit of city driving gets 18.5-19.2 mpg reliably. If I idle a lot or push it it drops to no less than 17. I currently have 180,000k miles on her.

Pulling trailers it drops like a stone. 400 miles pulling a 6x12 enclosed uhaul trailer netted 11.2 mpg, and I average about the same pulling a pontoon boat or my company's Bobcat on a tandem axle trailer.
Garmin GPS used for miles actually driven, input gallons used = magic number.
makes life easy for me
Old 01-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #448
edm3rd will become famous soon enoughedm3rd will become famous soon enough
Name: Duke
edm3rd's Tacoma Gallery
To add to what Pete said - it even happens with oem tires. As they wear, they become undersized, and give less accurate mpg. My dunlops were a full inch less in diameter when replaced at 37,000. If you don't use GPS, check your odometer against 50 miles by mile marker at least every 10k miles to determine odometer error.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #449
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Against conventional wisdom, higher altitude can mean better mpg. Thinner air means lower air resistance, and thinner air means less power which requires less fuel.
Most of Florida has high humidity which, like high altitude, reduces the amount of available oxygen per cubic foot of air. The humid air is denser than high altitude air so there would be some extra aerodynamic drag. The barometric pressure sensor knows there's less air pressure at high altitude, there's no humidity sensor so adjustments rely on the O2 sampling. In the warm humid climate most people will run their A/C all the time, not so much in the mountains. When my Taco was in Miami it averaged 18MPG, in L.A. I'm getting 20+. If I didn't drive 80+MPH every time I get on the highway I'm sure it'd do better. In Miami it was my dad's truck so different driver, but he didn't hot-rod it or haul cargo. The only things he did that would negatively impact the mileage is running the A/C and running the tires at lower pressure for the softer ride. I run the tires high and the A/C only when it's stupid hot. We both ran the cheapest gas available and I probably average 5-10 MPH faster average driving than he did and have more hilly terrain. His traffic on average was probably only a little shittier than mine. His cold starts were usually 80+ degrees, mine much lower, and I've seen a big mileage difference in driving a cold engine vs. warm.

Living in Florida as well as mountains are two extremes compared to most of the country. I'm guessing that if someone took the time to analyze MPG differences across the country we'd find that driving in either extreme reduces fuel efficiency.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #450
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by edm3rd View Post
To add to what Pete said - it even happens with oem tires. As they wear, they become undersized, and give less accurate mpg. My dunlops were a full inch less in diameter when replaced at 37,000. If you don't use GPS, check your odometer against 50 miles by mile marker at least every 10k miles to determine odometer error.
And speedos are rarely accurate at any point within a tire's life. Around here we have a few radar speed indicators that show your speed as you drive by and none of my speedos have been right. Most read on the high side and some by up to about 10% on completely stock vehicles.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #451
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
20 mpg in town
24 mpg highway @ 55-65mph
22 mpg highway @ 65-80mph

2007 Toyota Tacoma V6/Automatic PreRunner - Borla Intake/Exhaust, 35psi in Michelin LTX M/S2, 87 Ethanol free gas
here is the key - ethanol free gas - it's pretty much impossibly to find that around here, would be great.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #452
edm3rd will become famous soon enoughedm3rd will become famous soon enough
Name: Duke
edm3rd's Tacoma Gallery
pure-gas.org has listings for most states plus Canada including marinas and airports
Old 01-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #453

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzr2 View Post
here is the key - ethanol free gas - it's pretty much impossibly to find that around here, would be great.
No location listed so don't know where "here" is.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #454
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonziGT230 View Post
And speedos are rarely accurate at any point within a tire's life. Around here we have a few radar speed indicators
A lot of those are wrong too.

The set coming back from the Barstow area on I-15 read 5+ higher than actual.

Likely intentional, trying to slow down the Vegas traffic returning. I've never seen a Caltrans speed sign THAT far off before.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #455
Pulled 21.23 mpg highway 70mph like this . Guess its the ethanol free gas that does the trick
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel Milage for your 2nd Gen Taco..-uploadfromtaptalk1389760292816.jpg  
Old 01-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #456
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pulled 21.23 mpg highway 70mph like this . Guess its the ethanol free gas that does the trick
Or the communists passing down free mileage per your screen name.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
Or the communists passing down free mileage per your screen name.
Haha, I wish.. Maybe then my supra would do better than 18mpg.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #458
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Haha, I wish.. Maybe then my supra would do better than 18mpg.
And maybe my LT4 would get more than 4mpg.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #459
robm7 is on a distinguished road

robm7's Tacoma Gallery
I get 16ish on Blizzaks
Old 01-24-2014, 07:12 AM   #460
6172crew is on a distinguished road
Marines: 6172/6112
6172crew's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone should mention if its a 2WD or 4WD, I think thats the huge difference. No way my 4wd double cab can see 20mpg