Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dealership is lost and wants me to buy fairy dust intake

Old 09-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #21
Banned
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurotron View Post
No, it hasn't left me stranded. When I'm out in the middle of Nevada later this month, 100+ miles from pavement, I'll keep hoping it doesn't leave me stranded. If it does...it's going to be a long, miserable walk.

No non-ethanol gasoline available in my area (according to the sites that track such things).

Sorry for 'too many words'. It was a rant. Someday, some poor sap with the same problem may come along and read it and figure something out. Or he might go "WTF?" and go to the next post.

yea, lol.. it was just too many words for me.. I was ranting too.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #22
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
I buy the cheap gas and my truck is starting to hate me for it.

I didn't want to start off too strong and then get cheap, so I started at the bottom and plan to work my way up as we grow old together. I figure this tactic has worked with my wife so why not do the same for my true love. I'll be switching to a higher octane gas here real soon and this will put some spark back into our relationship. Things get boring and more time passes I'll move on to 91 octane and rekindle the flame. Things get slow and boring again, out with the old in with the new and I'll abuse that one just the same.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #23
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Has any one actually had a failure due to "spark knock"? Please raze your hand.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #24
Tuctaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Todd
Tuctaco's Tacoma Gallery
I just started running 91 2 weeks ago, for the same reason. Hot outside, and A/C on gets me pinging when I put my foot into it.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #25
raskal is on a distinguished road
raskal's Tacoma Gallery
have we answered OP's rattle question? Seems everyone is talking gas.

I'm curious what his solution might be too. I have a rattle when I have the truck loaded (eg: half yard of dirt). Only happens on throttle, when coasting no noise
Old 09-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #26
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brandon###'s Tacoma Gallery
I switched to Iridium spark plugs and haven't pinged since.

I switched to iridium just because i happen to have a set laying around, not even thinking they would help with the pinging because it's usually caused by timing or gas octane issues.

for less than $50 and an hour of your time I highly recommend it

Like others have said, I would find a new dealership. The K&N intake is a waste of money and your truck will not benefit from the STP" Fuel Line cleaner".

You're better off having the air in your tires rotated.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #27
obscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud of
obscurotron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon### View Post
I switched to Iridium spark plugs and haven't pinged since.

I switched to iridium just because i happen to have a set laying around, not even thinking they would help with the pinging because it's usually caused by timing or gas octane issues.

for less than $50 and an hour of your time I highly recommend it

Like others have said, I would find a new dealership. The K&N intake is a waste of money and your truck will not benefit from the STP" Fuel Line cleaner".

You're better off having the air in your tires rotated.
After scouring the interwebs about fancy spark plugs, why would iridiums make a difference? A colder iridium? Maybe. Same heat-range iridium? Makes no sense (to me).

Hell if anyone can explain that, I'm all ears.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #28
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
After scouring the interwebs about fancy spark plugs, why would iridiums make a difference? A colder iridium? Maybe. Same heat-range iridium? Makes no sense (to me).

Hell if anyone can explain that, I'm all ears.

I'm not one to waste money on fancy gimmicky spark plugs. I never bought split fires, E3's, triple platinum nitrogen coated etc...

These plugs are used in the new dual vvt-i 4.0's found in the 4runners and FJ cruisers.

I had these laying around when it was time to change the plugs in my truck because I was going to put them in our FJ. I checked around to make sure they would work, which they do, then I installed them.

Ever since then, I haven't had a single ping.

I have had several supercharged and nitrous fed vehicles and have had my share of pinging issues. As others have stated, pinging is usually caused by timing or octane issues.

It just so happens that these plugs cured my pinging. For $50 and an hour of your time, I highly recommend it.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #29
Banned
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ Lol. You 2 are having a cross thread discussion about the same topic. Hahahah
Old 09-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
^^^ Lol. You 2 are having a cross thread discussion about the same topic. Hahahah
that is funny... i was feeling like a broken record. just trying to help everyone with this stupid pinging issue

keep calm and ping on
Old 09-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #31
obscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud of
obscurotron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon### View Post
that is funny... i was feeling like a broken record. just trying to help everyone with this stupid pinging issue

keep calm and ping on
I'm gonna bite. Which brand and p/n for the iridiums? Denso or NGKs F-it. I'll buy a set and toss them in.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #32

Quote:
I'm gonna bite. Which brand and p/n for the iridiums? Denso or NGKs F-it. I'll buy a set and toss them in.

I believe I used the NGK's.

part # LFR6AIX-11
Old 09-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #33
lightower is on a distinguished road
lightower's Tacoma Gallery
The front right rattle was finally solved after my 3rd visit. It was the retaining pins that hold the pads in place. They were worn down in the area where they go through the break pads/anti squeal shims. They replaced the pads, pins, and shims - 36 000 km, premature failure but I do carry allot of tools.

The other noise the mechanic calls the Toyota ping and he says there is nothing that can be done and is normal ?

Let me know how those NGK's work out.

Cheers.