Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Being honest with myself about Mods: Lift/Suspension

Old 09-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #21
03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold
Name: Bill
03f5sp's Tacoma Gallery
If your staying on pavement, Icon, Fox, King, etc are overkill and a waste of a lot of money. Get Bilstein 5100 shocks for the front and an aal. The 5100's are better than the 4300's you have now.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #22
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punintentional View Post
The stock ride is nice, and it feels firm and well controlled. I want to maintain, at a MINIMUM, that level of performance and paved-road comfort.

* Effects on the Reliability/Dependability of my truck, Performance of the lift as it relates to daily pavement driving (comfort and handling on the highway), and Aesthetics, in that order.

So whatever lift is least likely to cause problems with my truck, while giving me, at a minimum, the comfort and performance of the stock ride and the added benefit of the "cool" factor (neat red coils, shiny, slick UCAs, etc) is what I'm looking for.

Q: I'm planning on putting on an ARB front bumper (no winch), a steel rear bumper, and rock sliders. How does that change things with this lift?

!!

with all of the armor/ weight OP wants to add, and his discussion of wanting to maintain at least a stock comfort level.... all of you guys suggesting 5100's think that that is a good suggestion? preload springs, and add a shit ton of weight and it will give a comfortable like stock ride??? I must be missing something.. 5100's are not a good choice given OP's stated needs above..
Old 09-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #23
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of people here don't have a problem preloading with 5100s. I did it on my '09 with stock (not off road) springs set at 0.85" just to level it out (rear TSB springs done). I liked the ride, but I wouldn't want to go any stiffer. I probably wouldn't do this with the off road's progressive springs.

I have done some mild trails in Colorado with the stock setup. It worked just fine, and I don't anticipate doing anything much more gnarly.

Maybe I am anal, but I like my front CV axles level, and I don't want to ever do a diff drop (I saw those nasty pictures on here). My main issue is I would like to be able to carry more weight without overloading the rear springs. All the better rear springs I have found would raise the height of the rear. And I would hate the rake, more than I hate having my CV axles at an angle, so I would need to raise the front.

Anyway, I am going to hold out until I need new tires, but I think if I do anything I will do the OME kit with Dakars and carrier bearing drop. If the rear springs seem to be holding out and I don't do any off-roading between now and then that I think would benefit from a lift, I will probably just do better tires and 5100s set at 0.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #24
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
who says the op is gonna armor out his taco right away. hes obviously new at offroading and says he will "one day do it". we are simply saying that first comes the lift. for just looks as well as function, and affordability the 5100s are a better choice. i say op still needs to consider function over form and first wheel with the stock tacoma. if he buys all the armor, $2k+ of suspension, then doesnt get into wheeling, its a waste of money.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #25
City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet
ChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ChiveOn's Tacoma Gallery
OP, this is a great thread you started. I have been looking for a kit to do all this as well.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #26
Pearcem87 will become famous soon enough
Marines:
Pearcem87's Tacoma Gallery
OP, one other thing that might be worth looking at is the Ironman lift kit. I am not a suspension expert, but my understanding is that the Ironman guys had some ARB/OME work experience and started up their own company. All of the reviews I have read have been good, and they offer a couple different shock and spring choices depending on your preferences. It's approximately a 2 inch lift, so it might be a good option if you don't want to hit that 3 inch mark.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/vehicules/4x4/toyota-other-models/1180-ironman-releases-2-inch-lift-for-toyota-tacoma.html
Old 09-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #27
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old man elmo keeps jumping ahead of everyone else in line. On line, if you're a stickler. It was what I originally intended for my truck, and then I got lost in a sea of information. It's funny that dozens of pages and hundreds of opinions later, I'm feeling the force draw me back toward this fowl setup.

OME lifts the back, while Baja doesn't, right? That, and all the people who seem satisfied with their OME lifts, might be the deciding factor.
Nice puns.

Good luck with your purchase. You've been all through this and I'll just say your guess is as good as mine. There's lots of tradeoffs and compromises here there and everywhere. It's tough to pick the right package.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #28
Colt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
Colt562's Tacoma Gallery
OP Im new here as well, I have noticed you will get 100 different people saying what they have it the best option and everything else rides like crap. All those options are great options IMO.

OME was my first choice. However I figured if I was spending close to 2k for a new suspension set up...why not look into Icons/Camburg/Kings/Fox. Right now you are probably thinking that you wont be doing much off roading but once you get the kit you may have regrets....not to say you will but it may happen.

I was going crazy researching and reading reviews on different lifts.

Like said above by Monkey Face there is tradeoff's and compromises for every kit. Its up to you to figure out what will work for you and how much you want to spend.

Personally Im going with Coilovers from either Camburg or Icon. Please feel free to PM me with any questions about this post.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #29
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

no one is right but me. hahahahahahaha
Old 09-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #30
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Fanboy here.
I would say OME if you plan on adding armor. If you dont plan on adding armor, or at least not a bumper, I would say got the 5100 route. I dont have any experience with 5100s, but a lot of people have them and like them.
My OME set up(aal rear) ran me about $800 and gave me 2.5" of lift before my armor, and it rides great.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #31
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
you can start with 5100s and later add Eibach coils to beef it up.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #32
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I want to maintain, at a MINIMUM, that level of performance and paved-road comfort.

I work a lot of OT, so I can afford whatever I NEED to afford. I just want to figure out what that is. My big concerns are:

* Effects on the Reliability/Dependability of my truck, Performance of the lift as it relates to daily pavement driving (comfort and handling on the highway), and Aesthetics, in that order.

.....and the added benefit of the "cool" factor (neat red coils, shiny, slick UCAs, etc) is what I'm looking for.
This is why i think you need a ICON suspension. Do it once, do it right, you wont regret it. I have run OME and ICON, worth the extra money IMO if you are looking for superior ride quality and performance.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #33
TakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTakDwn is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
TakDwn's Tacoma Gallery
Well I'm gonna go totally against the grade here and recommend something CRAZY....ready?????

Leave the suspension stock.

Get a good set of tires, maybe with some new rims. If you're feeling you need protection cause you're getting off road more often and the area your wheeling is likely to cause damage, then consider skids and such. If your doing a lil bit of mud, snow, dirt roads, and light trails there really isn't a reason to 'build-up' your Tacoma.

Like you said, the Tacoma is already a bad ass offroading truck in its stock form. Having tires with good traction will improve its performance offroad and in the snow/mud.

I'm saying this cause you said you're really not that kind of guy. You don't really know what the Tacoma can do in its stock form. As you get out more often you'll begin to find out where the Tacoma needs help or protection. But you'll have to get out on the unbeaten path to find that out. Save your money. Enjoy the rig as is for abit.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #34
jaymac10 is on a distinguished road

jaymac10's Tacoma Gallery
How could you? I mean you recommending something like this? It's just so simple and makes too much sense!!!

OP: 265-75-16 or 265-70-17 will fit stock suspension. I just put Duratrac's on and they are bad ass tires! But, if you are going to be 99% road, probably not the best for you....

Something less agressive would be better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakDwn View Post
Well I'm gonna go totally against the grade here and recommend something CRAZY....ready?????

Leave the suspension stock.

Get a good set of tires, maybe with some new rims. If you're feeling you need protection cause you're getting off road more often and the area your wheeling is likely to cause damage, then consider skids and such. If you doing a lil bit of mud, snow, dirt roads, and light trails there really isn't a reason to 'build-up' your Tacoma.

Like you said, the Tacoma is already a bad ass offroading truck in its stock form. Having tires with good traction will improve its proformance offroad and in the snow/mud.

I'm saying this cause you said you're really not that kind of guy. You don't really know what the Tacoma can do in its stock form. As you get out more often you'll begin to find out where the Tacoma needs help or protection. But you'll have to get out on the unbeaten path to find that out. Save your money. Enjoy the rig as is for abit.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #35
Punintentional is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: USCGC Alex Haley, Kodiak Alaska
Name: Josh
Punintentional's Tacoma Gallery
Leave the suspension stock...now you sound like my wife.

Haha I'm kidding of course. She has an accent (not the Hyundai). I like that you made this suggestion. But that doesn't mean I LIKE it for me. It's a reasonable bit of advice, given my flat road tendencies, but I think I can get away with 2" of lift without any real hassle.

I don't know that I'd agree about the armor being "wasted" if I don't off road: it protects my truck's front, sides, and rear, and the sliders give my short wife easier access to her throne. Oh, and it looks great.

I was wondering about the stiffness of the 5100s when pre-loaded too. Seems like they might be significantly stiffer than stock. Add armor and set that all on stock coils, and I think it might get uncomfortable. Maybe Eibachs is the way to go if I'm gonna rock those bad boys. And I still think I'd sleep better knowing I had UCAs up der.

In the end though, even if I never never drive through a big mud puddle, I want the 2". My wife honestly agrees that 2" would make her a LOT happier. Seriously though, she commented the other day when she saw a lifted taco that it looked cooler than my stock height, and she's not even into that stuff (lifts, not tacos).

I love the people on this forum. You guys are awesome. Don't know what I would have done if I hadn't found TW!
Old 09-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #36
mkrespke is on a distinguished road
mkrespke's Tacoma Gallery
I have been debating the same options as you. Besides the lift you are after, I am after function also. I like the factory baja Bilsteins because they add travel to the front and rear. I'm assuming you will get increased travel with 5100's and eibach springs up front. I also prefer the Bilsteins because they can be revalved and seem to be a great upgrade for other vehicles besides the Tacoma. Does the OME kit increase travel front and rear? Plus I hate the idea of the AAL on my non TSB springs.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #37
Bad Spuller

I know that im awesome.. no need to state the obvious.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #38
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
What about an avid off road front bar and oem steps ad protection? They saved my bumpers more than once and don't add much weight. Just food for thought.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #39
Canazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
Canazes9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
This is why i think you need a ICON suspension. Do it once, do it right, you wont regret it. I have run OME and ICON, worth the extra money IMO if you are looking for superior ride quality and performance.
I've done 5100's, 5100's w/ Eibach coils on my Tacomas. Nice set-up, works pretty well.

After just having a new Icon set-up installed on my wife's 4-Runner I completely agree. Icon is worth the extra money. I won't jack w/ the budget lifts again. Icon is more comfortable on the street, drives better and the difference off-road is very noticeable!

David
Old 09-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #40
coheliview is on a distinguished road

Navy:
coheliview's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canazes9 View Post
I've done 5100's, 5100's w/ Eibach coils on my Tacomas. Nice set-up, works pretty well.

After just having a new Icon set-up installed on my wife's 4-Runner I completely agree. Icon is worth the extra money. I won't jack w/ the budget lifts again. Icon is more comfortable on the street, drives better and the difference off-road is very noticeable!

David
I did this same thing and agree 100% The Icons ride nice on and off road. I liked the 5100's but once I started putting armor on (arb front bumper, sliders, full set of budbuilt skids.... rear bumper coming soon ) the 5100's needed help. I tried adding ome 885's with them and they got better but you couldn't fine tune the height the ride wasn't as I was hoping for on or off road. Went with the Icons and I got the ride back and handles great. I have not tried the toytec ultimate lift but heard good things from them. They use the 5100 shock and your choice of a few different coils that you can change out as you grow. They are easily adjustable so you can fine tune your front height, also helps taking care of the "taco lean" without having to use spacers on one side.

For the rear I'm using ome shocks with the dakar pack and I am happy with them but things might change when I get the aftermarket rear bumper on.

Just my .02