Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is my truck a lemon?

Old 09-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #21
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck with the a/c.

I had a 2006 2wd 4 banger.

I made the stupid mistake of turning on the a/c at about 5000 rpm.

End result they replaced $4,500 worth of a/c stuff under warranty.

It did not last more than 2 years. Went bad again and was on my dime so I never fixed.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #22
Banned
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
not a lemon.. but some shitty luck.. damn!
Old 09-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #23
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Is it not common for the AC compressors to crap themselves?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #24
Banned
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1983 View Post
Is it not common for the AC compressors to crap themselves?

yea, its common.. and like our lockers and 4wd systems, it is reccomended to turn them on often to keep the parts moving and lubricated.. something most people dont do..
Old 09-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #25
WV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the rough
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
The Tacoma should have been redesigned on a seven year cycle like the Tundra. I have had minor issues with my two year old 2012 Tacoma like the drive line vibration which was most likely caused when they shortened the wheel base in 2012. They shortened it by .4 of an inch. I think they were going to have a redesign in 2012 but all the weather problems in Japan changed that.
As far as the Frontier goes.... Well... that's a matter of personal opinion. I personally wouldn't even consider one but that's neither here nor there. If your happy with it that's all that matters.
Six months ago I would not considered one but after taking a close look at one I thought I would give one a try. At least they have a one piece drive shaft which has no vibrations. I get tired of looking at the same design for the past nine years. Had the Tacoma had a redesign for 2014 I would not even looked at a Frontier. The Tacoma sure does have a good trade value.
As far as the 4.0 goes I think it is a bullet proof engine but sometimes things happen to the best.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #26
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV150 View Post
Is far as the 4.0 goes I think it is a bullet proof engine but sometimes things happen to the best.
Exactly... That's why I feel sorry for the OP. It sucks that he got a bad one (usually that happens to me). I figure since they have been making it since... what?... 2006 they have most of the kinks worked out of it. When the new Tacoma comes out I won't buy the first model year. I'll let them work out the bugs first then get one. 2011 was a good year to buy one for me and it has (so far) been absolutely perfect!

I hope you have the same luck with your Frontier.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #27
Banned
Quote:
The Tacoma should have been redesigned on a seven year cycle like the Tundra. I have had minor issues with my two year old 2012 Tacoma like the drive line vibration which was most likely caused when they shortened the wheel base in 2012. They shortened it by .4 of an inch. I think they were going to have a redesign in 2012 but all the weather problems in Japan changed that.
As far as the Frontier goes.... Well... that's a matter of personal opinion. I personally wouldn't even consider one but that's neither here nor there. If your happy with it that's all that matters.
Six months ago I would not considered one but after taking a close look at one I thought I would give one a try. At least they have a one piece drive shaft which has no vibrations. I get tired of looking at the same design for the past nine years. Had the Tacoma had a redesign for 2014 I would not even looked at a Frontier. The Tacoma sure does have a good trade value.
As far as the 4.0 goes I think it is a bullet proof engine but sometimes things happen to the best.

where are you getting this info? ive seen you post this 2x..
Old 09-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #28
WV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the rough
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2009...ages=2&Vehicle[1].Make=Toyota|79&Vehicle[1].Model=Tacoma|1251&Vehicle[1].Year=2010&Vehicle[1].Trim=;_PK_XC;4WD;V6|1;29;2;14
It would appear the wheelbase change was made in 2011. This comparison tool was from Toyotas web site.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #29
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
+1 i'd like the link to the info or Toyota pdf that shows this. Sites with specs like edmunds, etc, still show the same wheelbase as far as Double-cab goes.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #30
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2009...ages=2&Vehicle[1].Make=Toyota|79&Vehicle[1].Model=Tacoma|1251&Vehicle[1].Year=2010&Vehicle[1].Trim=;_PK_XC;4WD;V6|1;29;2;14
It would appear the wheelbase change was made in 2011.
Interesting...does show .4 on automobile mag but i have seen conflicting info on other sites.

And it shows the DCLB as going from 140.9" for 2009 model to 140.6" for 2013 model;
Old 09-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #31
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdevTac View Post
Interesting...does show .4 on automobile mag but i have seen conflicting info on other sites.
I don't know if this is correct information but if it is that is about the time the vibration issues started and there may be some connection.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #32
Taco89 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nik
Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post
Exactly... That's why I feel sorry for the OP. It sucks that he got a bad one (usually that happens to me). I figure since they have been making it since... what?... 2006 they have most of the kinks worked out of it. When the new Tacoma comes out I won't buy the first model year. I'll let them work out the bugs first then get one. 2011 was a good year to buy one for me and it has (so far) been absolutely perfect!

I hope you have the same luck with your Frontier.
mines a 2011 haha
Old 09-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #33
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco89 View Post
mines a 2011 haha
Yeah I know... that's what sucks
Old 09-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #34
Negative Ghostrider

Army:
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't know if this is correct information but if it is that is about the time the vibration issues started and there may be some connection.
People have had "vibration" since before the 12/13 models.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #35
Banned
Quote:
It would appear the wheelbase change was made in 2011. This comparison tool was from Toyotas web site.

it looks like its comparing an access cab and a regular cab
Old 09-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #36
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
it looks like its comparing an access cab and a regular cab
Hit the pick list and you can compare different years , models and makes.
Compare the 4.0 Tacoma with the 4.0 4Runner and look at the difference in the engines.
Compare a 2010 Access cab with a 2012 Access cab.
Some guys want a new wife or girlfriend every seven years because they get tired of the same thing. When they get a new one I guess we could call it a redesign. The same goes for the Tacoma. It should redesign every seven years. I wonder if this is why the F150 is always a top seller because they redesign every six or seven years?
Old 09-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Some guys want a new wife or girlfriend every seven years because they get tired of the same thing. When they get a new one I guess we could call it a redesign. The same goes for the Tacoma. It should redesign every seven years. I wonder if this is why the F150 is always a top seller because they redesign every six or seven years?
Wait a sec... That makes the second or third time that you said Toyota should redesign the Tacoma. I don't disagree that it is due but you drive a Nissan Frontier and as far as I can tell.... It is due for one also.

I'm not trying to be nit picking but lets call it like we see it

2005 Nissan Frontier

2012 Nissan Frontier

2013 Nissan Frontier

I'm sorry... but that .04" you are talking about... wouldn't make me buy a truck that is in need of a redesign as much as a Tacoma.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #38
PCHearn has a spectacular aura aboutPCHearn has a spectacular aura aboutPCHearn has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: During Viet Nam
Name: Patrick
PCHearn's Tacoma Gallery
If you do NOT plan to get rid of your truck, you might think about getting a Toyota extended warranty for it. Do it prior to 36000 miles and it's not really very expensive. If you decide to do this, check with Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #39
Negative Ghostrider

Army:
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
I just took a look at some archived Tacoma brochures and the wheelbase change took place for the 2009 model, not 2012, by .4" for double-cabs if that even affects anything.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #40
Negative Ghostrider

Army:
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post
Wait a sec... That makes the second or third time that you said Toyota should redesign the Tacoma. I don't disagree that it is due but you drive a Nissan Frontier and as far as I can tell.... It is due for one also.

I'm sorry... but that .04" you are talking about... wouldn't make me buy a truck that is in need of a redesign as much as a Tacoma.
Lol its funny he is talking about getting tired of the Tacoma design but turns around and bought a Nissan which follows design changes practically the same as the Tacoma.