Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is my truck a lemon?

Old 09-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #41
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post
^^ This ^^

This Piece of Shit was returned with the Lemon Law

Lemon Laws vary from state to state but generally they have to be the same "recurring" problem that can not be resolved. In the case of the truck above the suspension was replaced 3 times with no luck. Still had a ungodly squeak / pop that you could actually feel. I towed a 27' travel trailer with it and did not feel safe at any time towing it. It took quite a while and had to go to arbitration but it was eventually bought back.

Good luck with your truck. Like was posted earlier... ANYTHING (other than fuel and air) in the combustion chamber is bad. VERY BAD!
I currently own a (99) Dodge 2500 diesel--it is STILL a BEAST.
Tacoma is the daily driver.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #42
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdevTac View Post
Lol its funny he is talking about getting tired of the Tacoma design but turns around and bought a Nissan which follows design changes practically the same as the Tacoma.
After he said it a few times I got to thinking that the Frontier hasn't changed either so that part of his argument is moot. Hypocrisy FTW!

Google is fun!
Old 09-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #43
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by newertoy View Post
I currently own a (99) Dodge 2500 diesel--it is STILL a BEAST.
Tacoma is the daily driver.
When the Chevy was bought back I bought this....

That truck was epic for towing anything you could put behind it. I hated it was a Dodge but you can't deny the Cummins Engine.

*EDIT* By the way, that was the very first BHLM I ever did on a vehicle.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #44
WV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the rough
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Lol its funny he is talking about getting tired of the Tacoma design but turns around and bought a Nissan which follows design changes practically the same as the Tacoma.
You are quite right. They have looked the same for years but it is new and different for me. Not to mention that you do not see very many of them. I bet the Tacoma out sells them 20 to one. If I don't like what I have you can bet I will be setting in a Tacoma in two years. Even with the vibration issues they are still a very good truck. I just wanted to try something different. I even got a 07 Tundra and did not like the big beast size after six months and went back to a Tacoma.
Be sure to laugh out loud and say I told you so when you see me post that I traded back to the Tacoma in two years. I feel certain it will be a nice change.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #45
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a BEAST too.

Quote:

That truck was epic for towing anything you could put behind it. I hated it was a Dodge but you can't deny the Cummins Engine.

NICE!
Have the EDGE Juice w/Attitude(tuner)
UNBELIEVABLE the POWER it has.
My son has a Celica--Leave him in the DUST.
Or sholud I say Smoke!
Old 09-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #46

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV150 View Post
Be sure to laugh out loud and say I told you so when you see me post that I traded back to the Tacoma in two years. I feel certain it will be a nice change.

No lol here. You are more than welcome to buy what you want and fills your needs. If you come back to a Tacoma we'll still be here.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #47

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by newertoy View Post
NICE!
Have the EDGE Juice w/Attitude(tuner)
UNBELIEVABLE the POWER it has.
My son has a Celica--Leave him in the DUST.
Or sholud I say Smoke!
Yeah... I had a Edge Tuner on this one also. It was awesome up to 75 MPH lol but that's about where it maxed out with 4:10 Gears. Holy shit would it pull though. I still miss that truck.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #48
WV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the rough
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No lol here. You are more than welcome to buy what you want and fills your needs. If you come back to a Tacoma we'll still be here.
Thanks for the positive comment.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #49
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The Tacoma should have been redesigned on a seven year cycle like the Tundra. I have had minor issues with my two year old 2012 Tacoma like the drive line vibration which was most likely caused when they shortened the wheel base in 2012. They shortened it by .4 of an inch. I think they were going to have a redesign in 2012 but all the weather problems in Japan changed that.
As far as the Frontier goes.... Well... that's a matter of personal opinion. I personally wouldn't even consider one but that's neither here nor there. If your happy with it that's all that matters.
Six months ago I would not considered one but after taking a close look at one I thought I would give one a try. At least they have a one piece drive shaft which has no vibrations. I get tired of looking at the same design for the past nine years. Had the Tacoma had a redesign for 2014 I would not even looked at a Frontier. The Tacoma sure does have a good trade value.
As far as the 4.0 goes I think it is a bullet proof engine but sometimes things happen to the best.
Enjoy your frontier I will enjoy the better truck and one that has pretty much anything you could ever need in the aftermarket
Old 09-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #50
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You are quite right. They have looked the same for years but it is new and different for me. Not to mention that you do not see very many of them. I bet the Tacoma out sells them 20 to one. If I don't like what I have you can bet I will be setting in a Tacoma in two years. Even with the vibration issues they are still a very good truck. I just wanted to try something different. I even got a 07 Tundra and did not like the big beast size after six months and went back to a Tacoma.
I have always had a secondary liking to Frontiers. Nice truck alongside Tacomas. I'm not fond of the current styling as much as I liked the "hilux-esque" models when they debuted their first king cabs.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #51
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have always had a secondary liking to Frontiers. Nice truck alongside Tacomas. I'm not fond of the current styling as much as I liked the "hilux-esque" models when they debuted their first king cabs.
the old hard body nissans were damn good trucks!
Old 09-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #52
TheGRIZZ is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
TheGRIZZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is just "my" opinion. But if I had that much trouble with my truck and it is only 2 years old... I would trade it in for another one. That is just me though. I'm too OCD to worry about what might happen next to it. You may never have another problem out of it but it has given you 2 major issues and that would be enough for me. I realize that might not be feasible nor is it really your responsibility but it would be a concern to me like it is to you.
Yup...I just learned this lesson the hard way which is why I am now driving a beautiful new tacoma.

Had a F250 Stroker with only 47K on the ticker. Had a few issues in the $500 range that I fixed then issue with my Turbo, LUCKILY just before the warranty ran out and they rebuilt it, 6 months later, needed new turbo and injectors at $7,000 dollars (Up to $10,000) said I should be good. 2 months later again engine light came on = failing oil cooler and EGR quoted $4,500 and also notice I needed new upper and lower ball joints at $3,500. It only took me about 5 seconds to decide that I wasn't going to put $8000 more into a truck and then worry what's next.

The hidsight 20/20 part is I had a gut feeling that before I put ALL new injectors and a turbo in I should have had them to the failing 2 and clean the turbo for 3K and dump it. Oh well.

I love my new tacoma so it all worked out
Old 09-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #53

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGRIZZ View Post
Yup...I just learned this lesson the hard way which is why I am now driving a beautiful new tacoma.

Had a F250 Stroker with only 47K on the ticker. Had a few issues in the $500 range that I fixed then issue with my Turbo, LUCKILY just before the warranty ran out and they rebuilt it, 6 months later, needed new turbo and injectors at $7,000 dollars (Up to $10,000) said I should be good. 2 months later again engine light came on = failing oil cooler and EGR quoted $4,500 and also notice I needed new upper and lower ball joints at $3,500. It only took me about 5 seconds to decide that I wasn't going to put $8000 more into a truck and then worry what's next.

The hidsight 20/20 part is I had a gut feeling that before I put ALL new injectors and a turbo in I should have had them to the failing 2 and clean the turbo for 3K and dump it. Oh well.

I love my new tacoma so it all worked out

Oh man... that sucks!

That reminds me of the Chevy (pictured earlier) with the exception it was all warranty work. The suspension was replaced 3 times and when I say suspension I mean the ENTIRE suspension. At about 10k miles it developed a severe squeak / pop that would, no shit, rattle the entire truck. They never could isolate the problem and replaced the entire suspension. The third time I took it back I got the service manager in the truck and took him for a ride. We went over a curb that entered a driveway at about 2 MPH and his exact words were "HOLY SHIT!!!". I was like, yeah, that's what I'm dealing with. Long story short I have no idea what was wrong with the suspension as they could never isolate the problem. It went through arbitration and they ended up buying the truck back. I hated it because I really wanted that truck and was a fan of the Duramax / Allison combo. I bought the 1 Ton Dodge (also pictured) with the Cummins and it was unbelievable. It would tow most anything you could put behind it so in the end it worked out but it was a pita and a lot of sleepless nights until it was all sorted out.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #54
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
^ this. Loved mine. Only issue I ever had was a rear axle seal that blew out.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #55

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
I loved them because they were easy to lower. I grew up in the Mini Truck period and with the torsion bar suspension they were simple to lower. Should you? Fuck no but that didn't stop me. Looked cool as shit sitting on the ground with 2 Rockford Fosgate 15"s behind the seat. I was the shit back in the day

BTW: Also had a beautiful Mullet at that time. Those were the good ole days lol
Old 09-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #56
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
With a record of a major repair you can consider your truck devalued some when you get ready to trade. Would you buy one knowing it had a major engine problem?
The Tacoma should have been redesigned on a seven year cycle like the Tundra. I have had minor issues with my two year old 2012 Tacoma like the drive line vibration which was most likely caused when they shortened the wheel base in 2012. I had a 2006,2007 and a 2010 and they did not have that vibration.
You can keep it wondering what will happen next or trade for the same old thing or when a redesign gets here or get a Frontier like I did. In two years I will trade again and it will hopefully be a redesigned Tacoma or another Frontier. I find the trucks about equal except the Frontier has more features and appears to be build just as well as a Tacoma.
Personally I disagree, but then again, I look at vehicles differently than you do probably. If the work was done by an ASE certified tech, then I would have no problems at all buying a truck that had major engine work done to it. Hell, I have rebuilt dozens of engines on my own vehicles and have never blinked twice to keep them for as long as I wanted to. To be honest I would be more worried about a vehicle that I DIDN'T know what might have been repaired or where, than one that has documented proof of repair. But again, this is a matter of opinion, and we each have our own.

Quote:
Goddamn!

Did they ever say what got into the combustion chamber? If it did that much damage you would think it would have "scored" the cylinder wall also. It's hard to tell with #1 but it looks like they didn't replace the head since they only replaced (looks like) 1 intake and 1 exhaust valve.
Looking at the part list the very first line (#1) says it is a new cylinder head. When work is being done at the dealerships, and at independent shops like myself, when you buy a head from the factory it is bare. So you take the good valves from the old head and swap them over. Since only one cylinder had an issue, that is why only a couple of valves were replaced. My guess, from the description of the noise I would guess it dropped a valve.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #57

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Looking at the part list the very first line (#1) says it is a new cylinder head. When work is being done at the dealerships, and at independent shops like myself, when you buy a head from the factory it is bare. So you take the good valves from the old head and swap them over. Since only one cylinder had an issue, that is why only a couple of valves were replaced. My guess, from the description of the noise I would guess it dropped a valve.
I guess the sub-assy Cyl is what threw me. I was thinking they had to change the head also if something got into the cyl.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #58
deog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud of
Name: snicklefritz
deog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I had the exact same thing with a GMC truck, pile of junk from day one. It went back to the dealer 15 times before it had 10,000 miles on it. Then the dealer refused to work on it. started a file with GM corporate and started a lawsuit. Finally refunded my money and took the truck back and dropped it off at a different dealer. Then ran out and bought myself a dodge 2500 4x4 diesel with 6 speed. That dodge was the best truck i ever owned. Will never own a GM product again in my life.
I have a 2000 4runner with 285,000 miles that has been treated like a dirty hooker, and she still drives like the day i bought it.

To the OP, dump the truck, it will never get any better and will just cause you grief and a headache.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #59

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deog View Post
Then ran out and bought myself a dodge 2500 4x4 diesel with 6 speed. That dodge was the best truck i ever owned. Will never own a GM product again in my life.
Yeah... I miss my truck every day. But, life gets in the way. My daughter was born and we sold all our stuff we used to tow and then ended up with 2 mortgages for a while. But I agree, it was a good truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deog View Post
To the OP, dump the truck, it will never get any better and will just cause you grief and a headache.
I'm not sure I would dump it but I most certainaly would have my reservations about it.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #60
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I guess the sub-assy Cyl is what threw me. I was thinking they had to change the head also if something got into the cyl.
There are two different heads. You have a sub assembly, and you have a complete assembly. Complete assemblies come with everything, including valves and springs, etc. They are of course more expensive. Sub assembly is simply a plain head, right out of casting and machining.