Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is my truck a lemon?

Old 09-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Taco89 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nik
Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
Is my truck a lemon?

So I bought a 2011 trd sport DC exactly two years ago today and have had some issues with it already. In May while I was driving, all of a sudden the engine sounded like it was going to explode and I had to pull over because I was losing power. I got it towed to Toyota and they told me they found a small piece of metal in the first piston. They replaced that and some other part I can't remember. Today I took my truck back to Toyota because I started to hear a cracking noise coming from under the hood a few weeks ago and my truck would vibrate here and there while driving and at idle, found out my a/c compressor was going bad so I'm waiting for them to replace that. I was thinking about trading it in for a newer truck because I feel like I'm going to run into more problems with it. Has anyone else had these types of problems that early with your truck??
Old 09-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
What did they replace when the dealer "found a small piece of metal in the first piston"? Head? Long block? An extra piece of metal in the combustion chamber is typically quite catastrophic.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
You should take your truck to a mechanic and them look at it thoroughly
Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
Yotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant future

Name: Ze
Yotamac's Tacoma Gallery
Contact a Lemon Law Lawyer. They will answer any questions and tell you if you have a case. The process is usually pretty fast however laws vary from state to state. I had a lemon (in CA) and after dealing with Nissan and the dealer over and over again it was the best thing I did. I didn't even have to pay a dime for the Lawyer. Toyota is still a quality product so get your money back and buy another one. I hope you get it worked out. Good Luck
Old 09-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #5
10splaya22 is on a distinguished road

Name: Drew
10splaya22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotamac View Post
Contact a Lemon Law Lawyer. They will answer any questions and tell you if you have a case. The process is usually pretty fast however laws vary from state to state. I had a lemon (in CA) and after dealing with Nissan and the dealer over and over again it was the best thing I did. I didn't even have to pay a dime for the Lawyer. Toyota is still a quality product so get your money back and buy another one. I hope you get it worked out. Good Luck
I don't see how he would have a case, he has had 2 problems and they are either fixed or in the process of fixing. The lemon law applies when there is a repetitive problem that the dealer can't fix and it has to keep going back to the shop.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10splaya22 View Post
I don't see how he would have a case, he has had 2 problems and they are either fixed or in the process of fixing. The lemon law applies when there is a repetitive problem that the dealer can't fix and it has to keep going back to the shop.
^^ This ^^

This Piece of Shit was returned with the Lemon Law

Lemon Laws vary from state to state but generally they have to be the same "recurring" problem that can not be resolved. In the case of the truck above the suspension was replaced 3 times with no luck. Still had a ungodly squeak / pop that you could actually feel. I towed a 27' travel trailer with it and did not feel safe at any time towing it. It took quite a while and had to go to arbitration but it was eventually bought back.

Good luck with your truck. Like was posted earlier... ANYTHING (other than fuel and air) in the combustion chamber is bad. VERY BAD!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #7

Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
My truck should be ready today..I'm just nervous now because a/c compressors should last at least 10 years.. maybe they screwed it up when they took the engine out in May to fix the "piece of metal" problem??
Old 09-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco89 View Post
So I bought a 2011 trd sport DC exactly two years ago today and have had some issues with it already. In May while I was driving, all of a sudden the engine sounded like it was going to explode and I had to pull over because I was losing power.
"In 10 seconds this message will self destruct(explode). I'll get you next time Gadget".
Old 09-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
My truck should be ready today..I'm just nervous now because a/c compressors should last at least 10 years.. maybe they screwed it up when they took the engine out in May to fix the "piece of metal" problem??
A/C compressor I wouldn't worry about too much. Anything mechanical can (and will) eventually break. I would be most concerned about what got into the first combustion chamber myself. Your new compressor should be fine.

This is just "my" opinion. But if I had that much trouble with my truck and it is only 2 years old... I would trade it in for another one. That is just me though. I'm too OCD to worry about what might happen next to it. You may never have another problem out of it but it has given you 2 major issues and that would be enough for me. I realize that might not be feasible nor is it really your responsibility but it would be a concern to me like it is to you.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #10

Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah that is what I am afraid of...Ima see how it runs after today and if I see ANY other problem then it's getting traded in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post
A/C compressor I wouldn't worry about too much. Anything mechanical can (and will) eventually break. I would be most concerned about what got into the first combustion chamber myself. Your new compressor should be fine.

This is just "my" opinion. But if I had that much trouble with my truck and it is only 2 years old... I would trade it in for another one. That is just me though. I'm too OCD to worry about what might happen next to it. You may never have another problem out of it but it has given you 2 major issues and that would be enough for me. I realize that might not be feasible nor is it really your responsibility but it would be a concern to me like it is to you.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Yeah that is what I am afraid of...Ima see how it runs after today and if I see ANY other problem then it's getting traded in.
I feel for you man... That sucks but I've been there. Hopefully everything is okay with it. It is unusual to have those problems out of a Toyota and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. You just got unlucky with this one it sounds like.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #12

Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
found the receipt and these are the parts that were replaced....
1. Head Sub-assy, Cy
2. Piston S/A W/Pin
3. Ring set, Piston
4. Gasket Kit, Engin
5. Valve, exhaust
6. valve, intake
7. Plug, spark
Old 09-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #13

Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
I appreciate it man..hah it's annoying as hell. I had an 08' before this one (before someone totaled it) for 4 years and had no problems at all lol oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post
I feel for you man... That sucks but I've been there. Hopefully everything is okay with it. It is unusual to have those problems out of a Toyota and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. You just got unlucky with this one it sounds like.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #14
WV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the rough
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
With a record of a major repair you can consider your truck devalued some when you get ready to trade. Would you buy one knowing it had a major engine problem?
The Tacoma should have been redesigned on a seven year cycle like the Tundra. I have had minor issues with my two year old 2012 Tacoma like the drive line vibration which was most likely caused when they shortened the wheel base in 2012. I had a 2006,2007 and a 2010 and they did not have that vibration.
You can keep it wondering what will happen next or trade for the same old thing or when a redesign gets here or get a Frontier like I did. In two years I will trade again and it will hopefully be a redesigned Tacoma or another Frontier. I find the trucks about equal except the Frontier has more features and appears to be build just as well as a Tacoma.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #15

Quote:
found the receipt and these are the parts that were replaced....
1. Head Sub-assy, Cy
2. Piston S/A W/Pin
3. Ring set, Piston
4. Gasket Kit, Engin
5. Valve, exhaust
6. valve, intake
7. Plug, spark
Goddamn!

Did they ever say what got into the combustion chamber? If it did that much damage you would think it would have "scored" the cylinder wall also. It's hard to tell with #1 but it looks like they didn't replace the head since they only replaced (looks like) 1 intake and 1 exhaust valve.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV150 View Post
With a record of a major repair you can consider your truck devalued some when you get ready to trade. Would you buy one knowing it had a major engine problem?
The Tacoma should have been redesigned on a seven year cycle like the Tundra. I have had minor issues with my two year old 2012 Tacoma like the drive line vibration which was most likely caused when they shortened the wheel base in 2012. I had a 2006,2007 and a 2010 and they did not have that vibration.
You can keep it wondering what will happen next or trade for the same old thing or when a redesign gets here or get a Frontier like I did. In two years I will trade again and it will hopefully be a redesigned Tacoma or another Frontier. I find the trucks about equal except the Frontier has more features and appears to be build just as well as a Tacoma.

I agree with part of your post. The Tacoma might be devalued with a Carfax report. Which is why I would trade it in at a Toyota dealer that did the work and buy another one. And I do agree that the Tacoma is due for a re-design (though I still like how it looks). The 4.0 in these trucks has been around a long time though and are basically bullet proof. The OP just got unlucky.

As far as the Frontier goes.... Well... that's a matter of personal opinion. I personally wouldn't even consider one but that's neither here nor there. If your happy with it that's all that matters.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #17
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV150 View Post
Is this true?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #18

Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
They told me they found a piece of metal in the first piston? Looking at the invoice it says Found 4 pieces of metal on top of the piston and damaged piston, 4 valves, cylinder head and piston rings.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #19

Quote:
They told me they found a piece of metal in the first piston? Looking at the invoice it says Found 4 pieces of metal on top of the piston and damaged piston, 4 valves, cylinder head and piston rings.
Yeah... I'm just trying to figure out "what" and "how". I'm just wondering how a piece (4 pieces) of metal could go through the intake into the chamber and what it was in the first place? Strange.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #20
Yotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant future

Name: Ze
Yotamac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10splaya22 View Post
The title of the thread is "Is my truck a lemon"?
I didn't state he had a case, I stated to contact a lawyer to see if he has one. You can have the position that consecutive failures in the vehicle, whether its the same issue or different can make you loose confidence is the vehicles overall safety and performance. This has stood up in court.