Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is my truck a lemon?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Taco89 [OP] Taco89 is online now
Senior Member
Taco89 is on a distinguished road
 
Taco89's Avatar
Name: Nik
Joined: Jan 2009, #12462
Location: Charlotte, NC
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 393
Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
Is my truck a lemon?

So I bought a 2011 trd sport DC exactly two years ago today and have had some issues with it already. In May while I was driving, all of a sudden the engine sounded like it was going to explode and I had to pull over because I was losing power. I got it towed to Toyota and they told me they found a small piece of metal in the first piston. They replaced that and some other part I can't remember. Today I took my truck back to Toyota because I started to hear a cracking noise coming from under the hood a few weeks ago and my truck would vibrate here and there while driving and at idle, found out my a/c compressor was going bad so I'm waiting for them to replace that. I was thinking about trading it in for a newer truck because I feel like I'm going to run into more problems with it. Has anyone else had these types of problems that early with your truck??
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
KenLyns's Avatar
Joined: May 2010, #37674
Location: Belly of the Beast
Age: 31
Gender: Guy
Posts: 17,462
KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
What did they replace when the dealer "found a small piece of metal in the first piston"? Head? Long block? An extra piece of metal in the combustion chamber is typically quite catastrophic.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Senior Member
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
MGMTacolover55's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2013, #96545
Location: Orygun
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,272
MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
You should take your truck to a mechanic and them look at it thoroughly
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
Senior Member
Yotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant future
 
Yotamac's Avatar
Name: Ze
Joined: Mar 2013, #100909
Location: 562
Gender: Male
Posts: 537
Yotamac's Tacoma Gallery
Contact a Lemon Law Lawyer. They will answer any questions and tell you if you have a case. The process is usually pretty fast however laws vary from state to state. I had a lemon (in CA) and after dealing with Nissan and the dealer over and over again it was the best thing I did. I didn't even have to pay a dime for the Lawyer. Toyota is still a quality product so get your money back and buy another one. I hope you get it worked out. Good Luck
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #5
Member
10splaya22 is on a distinguished road
 
10splaya22's Avatar
Name: Drew
Joined: Sep 2012, #87592
Location: Blacksburg, Va
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 85
10splaya22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotamac View Post
Contact a Lemon Law Lawyer. They will answer any questions and tell you if you have a case. The process is usually pretty fast however laws vary from state to state. I had a lemon (in CA) and after dealing with Nissan and the dealer over and over again it was the best thing I did. I didn't even have to pay a dime for the Lawyer. Toyota is still a quality product so get your money back and buy another one. I hope you get it worked out. Good Luck
I don't see how he would have a case, he has had 2 problems and they are either fixed or in the process of fixing. The lemon law applies when there is a repetitive problem that the dealer can't fix and it has to keep going back to the shop.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
RearViewMirror's Avatar
Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
Joined: Apr 2013, #102010
Location: State of Love and Trust
Gender: Guy
Posts: 10,503
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10splaya22 View Post
I don't see how he would have a case, he has had 2 problems and they are either fixed or in the process of fixing. The lemon law applies when there is a repetitive problem that the dealer can't fix and it has to keep going back to the shop.
^^ This ^^

This Piece of Shit was returned with the Lemon Law




Lemon Laws vary from state to state but generally they have to be the same "recurring" problem that can not be resolved. In the case of the truck above the suspension was replaced 3 times with no luck. Still had a ungodly squeak / pop that you could actually feel. I towed a 27' travel trailer with it and did not feel safe at any time towing it. It took quite a while and had to go to arbitration but it was eventually bought back.

Good luck with your truck. Like was posted earlier... ANYTHING (other than fuel and air) in the combustion chamber is bad. VERY BAD!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
Taco89 [OP] Taco89 is online now
Senior Member
Taco89 is on a distinguished road
 
Taco89's Avatar
Name: Nik
Joined: Jan 2009, #12462
Location: Charlotte, NC
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 393
Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
My truck should be ready today..I'm just nervous now because a/c compressors should last at least 10 years.. maybe they screwed it up when they took the engine out in May to fix the "piece of metal" problem??
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
Senior Member
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
Joined: Sep 2011, #63738
Location: Alberta
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,048
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco89 View Post
So I bought a 2011 trd sport DC exactly two years ago today and have had some issues with it already. In May while I was driving, all of a sudden the engine sounded like it was going to explode and I had to pull over because I was losing power.
"In 10 seconds this message will self destruct(explode). I'll get you next time Gadget".
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
RearViewMirror's Avatar
Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
Joined: Apr 2013, #102010
Location: State of Love and Trust
Gender: Guy
Posts: 10,503
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco89 View Post
My truck should be ready today..I'm just nervous now because a/c compressors should last at least 10 years.. maybe they screwed it up when they took the engine out in May to fix the "piece of metal" problem??
A/C compressor I wouldn't worry about too much. Anything mechanical can (and will) eventually break. I would be most concerned about what got into the first combustion chamber myself. Your new compressor should be fine.

This is just "my" opinion. But if I had that much trouble with my truck and it is only 2 years old... I would trade it in for another one. That is just me though. I'm too OCD to worry about what might happen next to it. You may never have another problem out of it but it has given you 2 major issues and that would be enough for me. I realize that might not be feasible nor is it really your responsibility but it would be a concern to me like it is to you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
Taco89 [OP] Taco89 is online now
Senior Member
Taco89 is on a distinguished road
 
Taco89's Avatar
Name: Nik
Joined: Jan 2009, #12462
Location: Charlotte, NC
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 393
Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah that is what I am afraid of...Ima see how it runs after today and if I see ANY other problem then it's getting traded in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post
A/C compressor I wouldn't worry about too much. Anything mechanical can (and will) eventually break. I would be most concerned about what got into the first combustion chamber myself. Your new compressor should be fine.

This is just "my" opinion. But if I had that much trouble with my truck and it is only 2 years old... I would trade it in for another one. That is just me though. I'm too OCD to worry about what might happen next to it. You may never have another problem out of it but it has given you 2 major issues and that would be enough for me. I realize that might not be feasible nor is it really your responsibility but it would be a concern to me like it is to you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #11
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
RearViewMirror's Avatar
Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
Joined: Apr 2013, #102010
Location: State of Love and Trust
Gender: Guy
Posts: 10,503
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco89 View Post
Yeah that is what I am afraid of...Ima see how it runs after today and if I see ANY other problem then it's getting traded in.
I feel for you man... That sucks but I've been there. Hopefully everything is okay with it. It is unusual to have those problems out of a Toyota and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. You just got unlucky with this one it sounds like.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
Taco89 [OP] Taco89 is online now
Senior Member
Taco89 is on a distinguished road
 
Taco89's Avatar
Name: Nik
Joined: Jan 2009, #12462
Location: Charlotte, NC
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 393
Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
found the receipt and these are the parts that were replaced....
1. Head Sub-assy, Cy
2. Piston S/A W/Pin
3. Ring set, Piston
4. Gasket Kit, Engin
5. Valve, exhaust
6. valve, intake
7. Plug, spark
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #13
Taco89 [OP] Taco89 is online now
Senior Member
Taco89 is on a distinguished road
 
Taco89's Avatar
Name: Nik
Joined: Jan 2009, #12462
Location: Charlotte, NC
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 393
Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
I appreciate it man..hah it's annoying as hell. I had an 08' before this one (before someone totaled it) for 4 years and had no problems at all lol oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post
I feel for you man... That sucks but I've been there. Hopefully everything is okay with it. It is unusual to have those problems out of a Toyota and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. You just got unlucky with this one it sounds like.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #14
Senior Member
WV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the roughWV150 is a jewel in the rough
Joined: Apr 2011, #55600
Location: South Carolina
Gender: Male
Posts: 353
WV150's Tacoma Gallery
With a record of a major repair you can consider your truck devalued some when you get ready to trade. Would you buy one knowing it had a major engine problem?
The Tacoma should have been redesigned on a seven year cycle like the Tundra. I have had minor issues with my two year old 2012 Tacoma like the drive line vibration which was most likely caused when they shortened the wheel base in 2012. I had a 2006,2007 and a 2010 and they did not have that vibration.
You can keep it wondering what will happen next or trade for the same old thing or when a redesign gets here or get a Frontier like I did. In two years I will trade again and it will hopefully be a redesigned Tacoma or another Frontier. I find the trucks about equal except the Frontier has more features and appears to be build just as well as a Tacoma.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #15
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
RearViewMirror's Avatar
Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
Joined: Apr 2013, #102010
Location: State of Love and Trust
Gender: Guy
Posts: 10,503
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco89 View Post
found the receipt and these are the parts that were replaced....
1. Head Sub-assy, Cy
2. Piston S/A W/Pin
3. Ring set, Piston
4. Gasket Kit, Engin
5. Valve, exhaust
6. valve, intake
7. Plug, spark
Goddamn!

Did they ever say what got into the combustion chamber? If it did that much damage you would think it would have "scored" the cylinder wall also. It's hard to tell with #1 but it looks like they didn't replace the head since they only replaced (looks like) 1 intake and 1 exhaust valve.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #16
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
RearViewMirror's Avatar
Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
Joined: Apr 2013, #102010
Location: State of Love and Trust
Gender: Guy
Posts: 10,503
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV150 View Post
With a record of a major repair you can consider your truck devalued some when you get ready to trade. Would you buy one knowing it had a major engine problem?
The Tacoma should have been redesigned on a seven year cycle like the Tundra. I have had minor issues with my two year old 2012 Tacoma like the drive line vibration which was most likely caused when they shortened the wheel base in 2012. I had a 2006,2007 and a 2010 and they did not have that vibration.
You can keep it wondering what will happen next or trade for the same old thing or when a redesign gets here or get a Frontier like I did. In two years I will trade again and it will hopefully be a redesigned Tacoma or another Frontier. I find the trucks about equal except the Frontier has more features and appears to be build just as well as a Tacoma.

I agree with part of your post. The Tacoma might be devalued with a Carfax report. Which is why I would trade it in at a Toyota dealer that did the work and buy another one. And I do agree that the Tacoma is due for a re-design (though I still like how it looks). The 4.0 in these trucks has been around a long time though and are basically bullet proof. The OP just got unlucky.

As far as the Frontier goes.... Well... that's a matter of personal opinion. I personally wouldn't even consider one but that's neither here nor there. If your happy with it that's all that matters.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #17
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
JdevTac's Avatar
Army:
Name: Josh
Joined: Jan 2012, #70234
Location: GA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,352
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV150 View Post
With a record of a major repair you can consider your truck devalued some when you get ready to trade. Would you buy one knowing it had a major engine problem?
The Tacoma should have been redesigned on a seven year cycle like the Tundra. I have had minor issues with my two year old 2012 Tacoma like the drive line vibration which was most likely caused when they shortened the wheel base in 2012. I had a 2006,2007 and a 2010 and they did not have that vibration.
You can keep it wondering what will happen next or trade for the same old thing or when a redesign gets here or get a Frontier like I did. In two years I will trade again and it will hopefully be a redesigned Tacoma or another Frontier. I find the trucks about equal except the Frontier has more features and appears to be build just as well as a Tacoma.
Is this true?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #18
Taco89 [OP] Taco89 is online now
Senior Member
Taco89 is on a distinguished road
 
Taco89's Avatar
Name: Nik
Joined: Jan 2009, #12462
Location: Charlotte, NC
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 393
Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
They told me they found a piece of metal in the first piston? Looking at the invoice it says Found 4 pieces of metal on top of the piston and damaged piston, 4 valves, cylinder head and piston rings.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #19
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
RearViewMirror's Avatar
Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
Joined: Apr 2013, #102010
Location: State of Love and Trust
Gender: Guy
Posts: 10,503
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco89 View Post
They told me they found a piece of metal in the first piston? Looking at the invoice it says Found 4 pieces of metal on top of the piston and damaged piston, 4 valves, cylinder head and piston rings.
Yeah... I'm just trying to figure out "what" and "how". I'm just wondering how a piece (4 pieces) of metal could go through the intake into the chamber and what it was in the first place? Strange.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #20
Senior Member
Yotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant future
 
Yotamac's Avatar
Name: Ze
Joined: Mar 2013, #100909
Location: 562
Gender: Male
Posts: 537
Yotamac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10splaya22 View Post
I don't see how he would have a case, he has had 2 problems and they are either fixed or in the process of fixing. The lemon law applies when there is a repetitive problem that the dealer can't fix and it has to keep going back to the shop.
The title of the thread is "Is my truck a lemon"?
I didn't state he had a case, I stated to contact a lawyer to see if he has one. You can have the position that consecutive failures in the vehicle, whether its the same issue or different can make you loose confidence is the vehicles overall safety and performance. This has stood up in court.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lemon Law rogerkamp8817 2nd Gen. Tacomas 11 10-30-2011 11:00 PM
My Truck Sounds Like Its Getting MURDERED. A Lemon? WTF WhiteWiddow 2nd Gen. Tacomas 5 07-14-2011 02:21 PM
Did I get a Lemon? ShiftGear 2nd Gen. Tacomas 23 01-14-2011 02:52 PM
Did I get a lemon? wolf13 2nd Gen. Tacomas 21 09-13-2009 08:36 PM
want a lemon? evile 2nd Gen. Tacomas 8 04-14-2007 04:02 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.