Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Want to improve headlights, but can't do a full retro yet...Recommendations?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
DavisBladeWorks is on a distinguished road
Name: John
DavisBladeWorks's Tacoma Gallery
Want to improve headlights, but can't do a full retro yet...Recommendations?

Hey guys, I had nice HIDs on my car I had before I got this truck about a two weeks ago. (13 Nissan Maxima)

This truck obviously doesn't have HIDs which is ok, but I cannot stand the piss yellow beam that it throws out. Without doing a full retrofit which I can't do right now (starting a business, money is TIGHT!), what are my options for getting headlights which are a tad bit brighter, but also look much cleaner and whiter?

Hopefully there are some good plug and play options. Thanks in advance everyone!

John
Old 09-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
Blueitrgsr's Tacoma Gallery
I've been using the sylvania silverstar zxe. There are the whitest of headlight bulbs I've tried.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
PIAA Extreme White bulbs or Philips Xtreme Power bulbs will both do the trick.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Are you using either of those pugga?
Old 09-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
Eldowr will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Desk Sgt
Name: Donavon
Eldowr's Tacoma Gallery
Find a bulb without any blue coating. The blue bulbs will give off whiter light, but they will not produce the same lumens as a non-coated bulb in the +30 / +50 range.
Phillips / Osram / Sylvania, etc.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
JTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
JTS2014TACO's Tacoma Gallery
there might be some LED bulbs out for the headlights I know CSjumper has LED fog light bulbs he might have regular ones too.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...pers-leds.html
Old 09-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
"GO DUCKS" Edition
Oregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
Oregon TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I hated the pissy yellow beams too. I bought some awesome whiter light bulbs.

I didn't want blue light either or the crazy whitish blue that blinds other drivers.

I went out on a limb and ordered these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love them. Alot better than stock. And yes they have the blue "coating" but no blue light comes out.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS2013TACO View Post
there might be some LED bulbs out for the headlights I know CSjumper has LED fog light bulbs he might have regular ones too.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...pers-leds.html
LED headlights...i think not.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
JTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
JTS2014TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonlazer View Post
LED headlights...i think not.
I was just throwing it out there as an option I dont know if they exist or not but I know he has fog light bulbs because I got a quote from him just trying to throw it out there haha
Old 09-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
Eldowr will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Desk Sgt
Name: Donavon
Eldowr's Tacoma Gallery
Get This
Old 09-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
fyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud of

Firefighter: CFD
Name: Pat
fyremanpat's Tacoma Gallery
phillips xtreme are hands down the best ive used yet. check ebay, sometimes they have good deals on them.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
PIAA Extreme White bulbs or Philips Xtreme Power bulbs will both do the trick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueitrgsr View Post
I've been using the sylvania silverstar zxe. There are the whitest of headlight bulbs I've tried.
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions guys!

Are any of those available to pick up at your local auto parts stores?
Old 09-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are you using either of those pugga?
I went from stock to Philips Extreme bulbs and felt they were a nice upgrade. I then got hit and one blew so I replaced the Philips bulbs with the PIAAs. Having them back to back, I prefer the pattern and light output I got with the PIAA bulbs.

I actually had a full blown retrofit and yanked the projectors out and went back with the PIAA bulbs. Obviously, the retrofit was better but I was having solenoid problems that I got tired of dealing with and felt that the PIAA bulbs were plenty bright for dark backroad driving.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisBladeWorks View Post
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions guys!

Are any of those available to pick up at your local auto parts stores?
The Philips ones maybe but I haven't found them around me. I ordered all of mine off Amazon. The Sylvania ones you can usually find at Advanced or Autozone but I don't particularly like the color of those. The Philips and PIAAs are more like a 4300K HID bulb where as the Sylvania seem to be more like a 5000 or 6000K (more blueish).
Old 09-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #15

Quote:
I went from stock to Philips Extreme bulbs and felt they were a nice upgrade. I then got hit and one blew so I replaced the Philips bulbs with the PIAAs. Having them back to back, I prefer the pattern and light output I got with the PIAA bulbs.

I actually had a full blown retrofit and yanked the projectors out and went back with the PIAA bulbs. Obviously, the retrofit was better but I was having solenoid problems that I got tired of dealing with and felt that the PIAA bulbs were plenty bright for dark backroad driving.
I might have to give those a try. I'm due for a set of headlights.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I might have to give those a try. I'm due for a set of headlights.
Some people have complained about shorter bulb life with the PIAA bulbs but my first set lasted 1.5 years and I took them out to do my retrofit (both were working perfectly fine still) and my new set only has a couple months on them so far.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #17
Turn up the good, turn down the suck!
RPD STARS is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
RPD STARS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyremanpat View Post
phillips xtreme are hands down the best ive used yet. check ebay, sometimes they have good deals on them.
^ This... I used them until i retro'd.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #18
Well, my local auto parts store had the silverstar zxe bulbs so I picked them up and installed them a while ago. Just a tip, removing your battery and washer fluid reservoir makes it MUCH easier to change out the headlights.

Anyway, on to the bulbs. They are a marked improvement over the stock bulbs as far as color, but I can't tell if they are any brighter since I haven't driven with them at night.

The bulbs do have a slight blue coating on then, but they don't look blue when the lights are on. They are just a very neutral white color. Not blue, and not yellow. Right in the middle on the color spectrum. Overall I'm happy with them, but since I can change the bulbs so fast I may try the Phillips bulbs.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #19
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The Philips ones maybe but I haven't found them around me. I ordered all of mine off Amazon. The Sylvania ones you can usually find at Advanced or Autozone but I don't particularly like the color of those. The Philips and PIAAs are more like a 4300K HID bulb where as the Sylvania seem to be more like a 5000 or 6000K (more blueish).
The Sylvanias are also in WalMart..I've seen the Phillips in there sometimes but it's hit or miss.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #20
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
I've had Piaa bulbs in 2 vehicles I owned. The first car they lasted for a year and a half without issues. I sold the vehicle. My second car I had them in, they lasted 9 months and I got a replacement(warranty) set from Piaa. Sold the car shortly after.

Products Discussed in this Thread