Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cheap shelves in bed mod

Old 09-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
FirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud of

Name: Marc
FirstTracks's Tacoma Gallery
Cheap shelves in bed mod

I spend a lot of time camping in the bed of my Tacoma and a wanted simple shelves back there to put stuff.

I took a 2'x4' piece of MDF project board, cut it with a jigsaw to fit next to the Leer cap clamps and end caps of the track, painted it and simply slipped it into the bed track. Total cost: approx. $14.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
tomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: E-4
Name: Tom
tomwilson74's Tacoma Gallery
I like!
Old 09-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Hey that's pretty smart!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
BLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Veteran
Name: Keith
BLOODYMARY's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I need a topper!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
beach bum
Nicko is a splendid one to beholdNicko is a splendid one to beholdNicko is a splendid one to beholdNicko is a splendid one to beholdNicko is a splendid one to beholdNicko is a splendid one to behold

Name: Nicolas
Nicko's Tacoma Gallery
Dam that's a great idea you had there. And it looks nicely flush. Nice work buddy
Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
Colt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
Colt562's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!!
Old 09-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
FirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud of

Thanks folks. It'll just be nice to get some things up off the floor while sleeping or while hanging out on a rainy evening. I've also got a trip permitted in early November for the White Rim in Canyonlands NP near Moab and I needed some place to put a small catalytic heater in case it gets particularly cold.

I'm also not much of a fabricator, so I was pretty damned pleased that it turned out just like I envisioned it.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
I am not much of a fabricator if any at all and I applaude your work. Did you think about maybe putting a lip around the edge of it to keep things from sliding off? I know you won't be moving the truck when you use them but we all know how things tend to slide around.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
Also, care to share your measurements for the rest of us to copy, lol????
Old 09-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #11

The lip is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I suppose if I wanted to glue a furring strip for a lip edge I should have done that before painting. Small screws or finish nails could be an option now that they're already painted.

I wanted the shelves to occupy 20" of track on each side so they're 28.3" on the long side to preserve a right triangle. I therefore took the 24" by 48" MDF panel and cut it to 28.3" long. I thereafter split it right up the middle to create two pieces 12" x 28.3" each. I then measured 12" from each end to draw and then cut each 45 degree angle. I then put it in place to mark, measure and thereafter cut each cutout, first for the bolts and blocks that attach the shell to the truck, and then for the ends of the side tracks. Finally I used a palm sander to smooth the edges and make up for my lousy saw cuts before spray painting them with Rustoleum's combo primer/enamel, 3 coats.

It took about an hour total, not including paint dry time.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
That's a great mod,

Good job man,