Notices

Low Coolant Question

Old 09-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Mackoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Mack
Mackoma's Tacoma Gallery
Low Coolant Question

Hey all,

I've got a 2012 Tacoma 2.7 that i've had for 14 months. Today while checking my oil, I noticed that my coolant level was an inch or more below the full line. I checked it first thing this morning while cold after it had set overnight. Just wandering if anyone has experienced this and looking for a bit of advice. I have noticed since it was new, there is always a little residue surrounding the hose that fits on the top of the reservoir, I clean it up periodically when im under the hood and it keeps coming back. I have considered putting a hose clamp or twisting a piece of wire around it. Any suggestions or ideas why the level is low? Is this common?

Thanks, Mack
Old 09-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Boilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really nice

Name: Brian
Boilerman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackoma View Post
Hey all,

I've got a 2012 Tacoma 2.7 that i've had for 14 months. Today while checking my oil, I noticed that my coolant level was an inch or more below the full line. I checked it first thing this morning while cold after it had set overnight. Just wandering if anyone has experienced this and looking for a bit of advice. I have noticed since it was new, there is always a little residue surrounding the hose that fits on the top of the reservoir, I clean it up periodically when im under the hood and it keeps coming back. I have considered putting a hose clamp or twisting a piece of wire around it. Any suggestions or ideas why the level is low? Is this common?

Thanks, Mack
Add some coolant back in and you'll be fine. Just routine maintenance, my did the same thing.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Same thing happened to my 07. I twisted a piece of wire around it, and that stopped it from leaking there.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Krazie knows what to do
Old 09-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Mackoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Mack
Mackoma's Tacoma Gallery
thanks guys. i'll do both tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Krazie knows what to do
He'll never live that mistake down. He could cure cancer and everyone would still kick his bag in for his fluid fuckup

OP, if it's any consolation, I didn't know I was low on coolant until I heard gurgling from under my dash. Air bubbles were causing it, I finally figured it out, but originally I though I had water trapped in the trough under the wiper cowl.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Hehehe it's fun to bug him about it. He's a good dude
Old 09-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerman View Post
Add some coolant back in and you'll be fine. Just routine maintenance, my did the same thing.
x2
Old 09-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
It's probably about to blow a head gasket, sell it!

Kiddin. If it's the first time you've had to add any it's just normal evaporation and a little from the hose leak. You can add coolant or just some water for such a small amount, distilled if you can or at least purified with no minerals; tho a couple ounces hardly matters anyway.

Before trying to clamp the hose you should clean it and the nipple of any hardened residue or it'll probably keep seeping.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackoma View Post
Hey all,

Thanks, Mack
That would be normal with a cold engine. When warmed up it should be close to the full line, maybe even higher.

I have also experienced the small leak at the overflow hose. I ziptied mine. Minor leak though, takes a long time to cause a low level.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
esse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
coolant level

As long as your reservoir level is between the low and high marks you are okay. If it makes you feel better you can add a little distilled water or already mixed 50/50 coolant to bring the level up to the high. Adding coolant would be better but some folks don't want to buy a whole gallon of Toyota special long life coolant so the next best thing is adding a little distilled water which will eventually evaporate within time and you will be back to the low mark again, eventually.