Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is your Taco 4wd or 2wd?

View Poll Results: Is your Tacoma 4wd or 2wd?
2wd 314 29.54%
4wd 749 70.46%
Voters: 1063. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #321
venomous_x is on a distinguished road

venomous_x's Tacoma Gallery
2wd, I don't wheel although after rejoining the site I wish I could go with the

4x4 instead, and it doesn't snow down here in New Orleans. I never thought I

could have buyers remorse with a taco but I should have went with my gut.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:31 AM   #322
oscolivar1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Oliver
oscolivar1's Tacoma Gallery
2WD prerunner base model DC And it's auto, not ashamed at all, I got it 20,000 out the door new. I drive 100% pavement...city and highway and hardly see snow here in VA, no hills or mountains to climb. I would waste my money on the TRD and SR5 package options. The way I saw it make it my own like I have done to all my vehicles.

Coming from the supra forums and being an owner of an 87 turbo mk3...The word "MANLY" is determine on if you have Forced induction. URD supcharger is coming once my warrenty has expired.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #323
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Deep sand and 2 wheel drive don't go together. Unless you have 850hp and 2 feet of suspension travel.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #324
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheadesw View Post
Deep sand and 2 wheel drive don't go together. Unless you have 850hp and 2 feet of suspension travel.
Pretty much! When I go play in the sand, if I stop in 2wd I am done, even with the rear locked. haha Just popping it in 4wd will get my moving again though. I do have skinny M/T tires and a lot of weight though. I would do better being lighter, with some wide A/T's.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #325
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
I chucked mine in the trash about 7 years ago, and painted over the airbag idiot light.
I assume that means your airbags won't work in a crash?

Is that correct?
Old 12-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #326
Paleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Paleus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I chucked mine in the trash about 7 years ago, and painted over the airbag idiot light.
You should remove your headrests too, to increase visibility.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #327
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post

Is that correct?
I'll bet he removed the airbags right along with the airbag control box. He doesn't even have the OEM dash in his rig anymore. It is practically a fully caged Race Truck.

He has that thing so stripped down that even with all the extra metal, it weighs less than it did when it came off the lot
Old 12-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #328
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post

Is that correct?
That assumption is correct. If airbags worked every racing organization in the world would require them. I'll stick to my five points and cage.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #329
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleus View Post
You should remove your headrests too, to increase visibility.
I gave my factory seats to some dude in the desert. He sits in them on his porch now.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #330
AdrenlineJunky is on a distinguished road

AdrenlineJunky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006TRDSPORT View Post
2wd here & don't need 4wd to be a man.
Actually, it takes more of man to drive a 2wd, especially in snow. Requires talent as well. When I was a kid my dad drove 2wd as in the early 70's 4wd were not common. Even my mom drove a rwd car and here in nh we get and got plenty of snow.....we always did fine. These days, 10 city plow trucks chase down the first snow flake and all roads are cleared quickly..... hell, they even plow rain these days. IMO, its foolish to run 4x4 gear for the very few times you think you need it when for real just smart driving will suit just fine. If you off-road or frequent conditions that merit AWD, well that's entirely different. I have owned several 4wd. My last 3 trucks have been 2wd, I aint going back.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #331
attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenlineJunky View Post
Actually, it takes more of man to drive a 2wd, especially in snow.
Hopefully you're not serious
Old 12-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #332
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Hopefully you're not serious
I think he meant to say, "more adventurous in an optimistic yet less capable way and willing to make routine 4x4 tasks more dramatic and hazardous."

It also takes more of a man to drive on icy roads with bald tires. more manly right?
Old 12-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #333
Fluffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
I think he meant to say, "more adventurous in an optimistic yet less capable way and willing to make routine 4x4 tasks more dramatic and hazardous."

It also takes more of a man to drive on icy roads with bald tires. more manly right?
Right. This dude must clank when he walks.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #334
BETTER BEAVIS
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Actually, it takes more of man to drive a 2wd, especially in snow.
You keep on telling yourself that.... and while we are on the topic, you would be more of a man if you got a full size truck. Your penis would get bigger to!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #336
Loco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Loco38SUP's Tacoma Gallery
4wd for me.

The 2wd trucks are a nice lower cost alternative.

I've noticed that its region dependent. When I was living in Texas the Pre-Runners out numbered the 4x4's by 10:1.

But up here in the Northwest Pre-Runners are not as abundant.

RJM
Old 12-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #337

Quote:
Right. This dude must clank when he walks.

WTF! Does that guard on the front tire have forks that rub on the front tire to clear the snow/ice out of the death spikes on there? haha
Old 12-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #338
BETTER BEAVIS
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
WTF! Does that guard on the front tire have forks that rub on the front tire to clear the snow/ice out of the death spikes on there? haha
When he hits snow buffalo, it keeps the carcasses away from the wheels
Old 12-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #339
AdrenlineJunky is on a distinguished road

AdrenlineJunky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post

That's quite an analogy bald tires to 2wd or 4wd. What are you 16 years old? I suppose you 4wd bigots think that stopping distance are better as well? Puuuulease. Many times its the nitwits in the ditch that are the ones that think their 4wd allows them to drive like the road is not slippery.

Only sissy's need 4wd to drive on snowy roads....period. Are you a sissy girlie man? Oh my what would do without that little button? LOL.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #340

Quote:
That's quite an analogy bald tires to 2wd or 4wd. What are you 16 years old? I suppose you 4wd bigots think that stopping distance are better as well? Puuuulease. Many times its the nitwits in the ditch that are the ones that think their 4wd allows them to drive like the road is not slippery.

Only sissy's need 4wd to drive on snowy roads....period. Are you a sissy girlie man? Oh my what would do without that little button? LOL.
I agree that 4wd does not make you invincible, there are many many threads on here about this same argument, but that doesn't mean that 4wd doesn't have it's advantages in the snow.

Personally once you break like 20-30 mph I don't feel like 4wd has any advantage over 2wd, unless you want to drive like an idiot or something I guess, but it sure is nice when driving in stop and go traffic on an icy road.

Realistically nowadays, unless you are trying to drive through a bad snow storm, most all paved roads are maintained well enough by the snowplows and salt/sand spray trucks that cars have no trouble getting where they are going. So can you get by without 4wd, of course, but that doesn't mean I don't want it. But I don't drive my Tacoma like a car either. I have a car for daily commuting, twice the fuel ecomony = half the cost. I use my Tacoma for offroading so 4wd is a must.