1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory/Dealer upgrades to TRD Sport? (skid plate, tires)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Komrade, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Sep 17, 2013 at 7:56 AM
    Komrade

Komrade [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 DBCB 4x4 MT
    I decided to give up on finding/waiting on TRD Off Road in manual (hopefully I'll never need the locker, I don't really off-road other than really bad roads in WV), and pick up one of the remaining 2013's in Sport package

There are two upgrades I would like to make
    * tires (Baja, as I don't like to stock rims at all.. although I prefer the TX|Pro look)
    * front skid plate

Should I get them at the dealership, or go "after market"

Other accessories I plan on getting
    * winter matts, bed matt, bed extender
    * roof rack, but I really plan on installing a ladder rack to be able to haul long objects (e.g. wood, kayaks)

I also plan to install a winch bumper, like those from ARB. Need deer protection (may effect your advice on skid plate)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  2. Sep 17, 2013 at 8:02 AM
    ziggynagy

ziggynagy All Glory To The Hypnotoad

Member:
    Stoughton, MA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Sport AC 4x4 V6 Auto Tow
    Westin step bars, led dome & map lights, tailgate hoseclamp, BluLogic, MetalMiller emblem, 35 tinted front windows, extra OEM d-rings, WeatherTech front/rear
  3. Sep 17, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Skid plate, definitely go aftermarket unless it's strictly for looks. The stock 'skid plate' is nothing more than thin metal and won't offer much in the way of protection.

As for the wheels, if you're set on the TX Pro wheels, you might have a hard time finding them used. Personally, if you don't like the stock wheels, I'd look for an aftermarket set that you do like and buy them. It will be much cheaper than buying TX Pro wheels through the dealership.

4. Sep 17, 2013 at 8:08 AM
    ChiveOn

ChiveOn City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet

Member:
    A BC Boy in Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 6spd
    Plasti-Dipped Emblems, Tonnopro Tri-fold toneau cover (for winter use only), AVS in-channel visors, Ultra Gauge, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Muteki Trail Hog 285/70/17, Pop N' Lock, Bilstein 5100's in the front set at .85 with Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100's in the rear with a Toytec AAL. Toytec drivers side spacers, Toytec diff drop kit. All Pro u-bolt flip kit, TJM Compressor (permanently mounted), Custom rack for the RTT over the bed, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Toyota Bed Mat, Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio, and a lot of gear behind the seats.

I have the TRD Sport DCSB manual and am impressed where it can go. I use to wheel my Dad's FJ Cruiser and rarely (if ever) used the rear locker. Lockers are nice but for what you do you will be fine.

As for the upgrades the TRD skid plate it garbage, I was going to get one but after seeing how thin they are I will get an aftermarket one. Check out MaTT123 10G Skid Plates, as they look stock but are pretty tough.

Definitely get the WeatherTech Digi Fit floormats for the winter.

5. Sep 17, 2013 at 8:09 AM
    ChiveOn

ChiveOn City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet

Member:
    A BC Boy in Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 6spd
    Plasti-Dipped Emblems, Tonnopro Tri-fold toneau cover (for winter use only), AVS in-channel visors, Ultra Gauge, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Muteki Trail Hog 285/70/17, Pop N' Lock, Bilstein 5100's in the front set at .85 with Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100's in the rear with a Toytec AAL. Toytec drivers side spacers, Toytec diff drop kit. All Pro u-bolt flip kit, TJM Compressor (permanently mounted), Custom rack for the RTT over the bed, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Toyota Bed Mat, Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio, and a lot of gear behind the seats.
    Additionally if you are looking for wheels check out SSC's Stealth 6 wheel. They look amazing on the Tacoma :drool:

Products Discussed in

To Top