LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Building a digital inclinometer

View Poll Results: What display color do you prefer?
White on black 27 23.48%
Yellow on blue 1 0.87%
Red on black 38 33.04%
Black on green 8 6.96%
OLED Blue on black 37 32.17%
OLED Yellow on black 4 3.48%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #41
Cannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
Cannikin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurotron View Post
BTW, is your LCD dimmable?
It is, but you have to dim it via software. However, I could pull that out to a physical knob so you can dim on the fly. What I can do is ship it at full brightness and then in the DIY kits you can choose to hook up the knob or not.

Thanks for the idea!
Old 09-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #42
obscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud of
obscurotron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannikin View Post
It is, but you have to dim it via software. However, I could pull that out to a physical knob so you can dim on the fly. What I can do is ship it at full brightness and then in the DIY kits you can choose to hook up the knob or not.

Thanks for the idea!
Just thinking of night driving. Coming back to camp in the dark, that blue light is no bueno for night vision. Pretty darn cool thing you got going on, though.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #43
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Building a digital inclinometer

Can you get power from the AC circuit so it is dimmable via the gauge dial similar to how Shannon does it with the illuminated 4x4 switch ?
Old 09-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #44
Dogs & cats, living together! Mass hysteria!
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Can you get power from the AC circuit so it is dimmable via the gauge dial similar to how Shannon does it with the illuminated 4x4 switch ?
Makes me think of another option. A dim LED shining down on the center console area would be a very nice addition to the Tacoma. It's another minor oversight by Toyota, but you might be able to incorporate it into the inclinometer design.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #45
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
I would be very interestend in the product!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I think this would be a great idea, so every light in the interior would dim at the same time!!!!
Old 09-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #47
Atomic47 is on a distinguished road

Name: Denis
Atomic47's Tacoma Gallery
Kudos to you! This is a cool idea.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #48
Cannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCannikin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Update for you guys! Here's a quick video walkthrough of what I've got so far. I'm planning on adding min/max altitude as well:

http://youtu.be/MsdPD9Y-qyw

Available functions:
  • Inclinometer (pitch and roll)
  • Current altitude
  • Track altitude (zero out and track total climb)
  • Min/max altitude (zero out and see how high/low you went during an entire trip
  • Calibrate altitude (to compensate for weather pressure effects)
  • Set brightness

Anything else you guys can think of? The barometric sensor I'm using for altitude will measure temperature as well...worth making a menu item for?

I've got a test run of the circuit boards out being fabricated right now:

Those should be back in a couple of weeks. In the meantime I'm working on the software and thinking about an enclosure. I'm thinking aluminum and wood...so far I'm inspired by the Tivoli line of radios. I'll add some mockups to the thread here soon.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #50
All right, it's getting closer! Getting a couple of the circuit boards back from the fabricator and the software is looking good.

So now the big question: would anyone like to beta test? I'm thinking of giving away a couple and getting some real world usage and feedback. Reply here or send me a PM!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #51
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannikin View Post
All right, it's getting closer! Getting a couple of the circuit boards back from the fabricator and the software is looking good.

So now the big question: would anyone like to beta test? I'm thinking of giving away a couple and getting some real world usage and feedback. Reply here or send me a PM!
Ill beta for you
Old 10-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #52
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
I will
Old 10-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #54
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
I'd get a DIY one, I got a question though, can you make the screen separate from the actual sensor? Or is there a way to Zero it to the mounting position? Some people might not be able to mount it to the specs that the unit requires perfectly.

Edit: It looks like from your video that the screen can be separate. Can you change the color of the display? I would like a red or orange one to match the interior lights.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #56
Andres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andres
Andres's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurotron View Post
Very bad idea. Picture this:

You add the feature.

Billy Bob McFuknut gets one of your gizmos and heads out to romp. Rolls his truck because the thing didn't beep to 'warn' him, and he dies.

Family/widow/inbred children sue you.

You wish you'd never been born.

Or, if you insist, incorporate or form a limited liability entity (LLC, LLP, etc.) and obtain some amount of insurance. See how a great idea suddenly doesn't seem so great? Thank the lawyers and the lack of tort reform.

I swear this world is getting ridiculous with lawsuits.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #58
obscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud of
obscurotron's Tacoma Gallery
I'll beta one. I'll even put it through some temperature extremes (not abuse, but sitting in truck in heat and sub-freezing temps), vibration testing (5-minus 'gravel' roads) and humidity exposure variations (arid Nevada to salt air CA coast).
Old 10-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #59
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
subbed! this is really cool.

do i need one?
no.

do i want one?
hell yeah!
Old 10-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #60
DHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to behold

DHwreckage's Tacoma Gallery
This is brilliant i was thinking of trying to hook up a unit like in the surf and hilux that goes into your review mirror/lights but this looks way more simple seeing that i just have to install it!

Products Discussed in this Thread