1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hard Folding Tonneau Cover

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by SAXD Taco, Sep 18, 2013.

?

Which hard Folding Tonneau Cover

Poll closed Dec 27, 2013.
  1. Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite

16 vote(s)
    48.5%
  2. BakFlip Fibermax

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Other (Please specify)

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Sep 19, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    sandjunkie

sandjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
    Here is the tailgate molding on the G4 that others have referenced. I don't have any gap and the seal is watertight.

[​IMG]

2. Sep 19, 2013 at 4:58 PM
    SAXD Taco

SAXD Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 4X4, MGM
    N-Fab Steps, BakFlip F1, TRD Accessory Skid Plate, Toyota Bed Mat, Husky Liner Floormats
    Unfortunately, Toyota did away with the front storage pockets/cubbies for 2012 (I think) and I would be unable to route the drain hoses there. But the drain hoses would be much more out of the way there.

3. Sep 19, 2013 at 5:01 PM
    SAXD Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 4X4, MGM
    N-Fab Steps, BakFlip F1, TRD Accessory Skid Plate, Toyota Bed Mat, Husky Liner Floormats
    Yeah, that looks pretty good definitely no gap there. By the way checked out your build & your truck looks awesome! :drool:

4. Sep 20, 2013 at 6:35 AM
    SAXD Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 4X4, MGM
    Question for all the Bakflip owners. Are the hinges that connects the panels actually made out of rubber? Or is the rubber covering some inner structure that allows the panels to fold?

5. Sep 20, 2013 at 8:09 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    It's a seamless "hinge" but without the typical metal hinge you are thinking of. The panels are attached with seamless EPDM synthetic rubber that's suppose to prevent leaks, durable, weather/corrosion resistant. So far it's holding up with no issues or leaks. I think the newer version HD are tougher than the earlier models. The main advantage for me is that I do use my LB for hauling(bikes/furniture/home depot) quite a bit and it's nice to be able to have full bed space for large items without having to remove the bed cover:

BAKFLIP HD TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
    Panel exterior: Aluminum
    Panel core: EPS (Expanded Polystyrene - The same core that is in most surfboards)
    Panel frames: Aircraft grade aluminum
    Finish: Black powder coat on Aluminum Frames
    Surface Panels: Haircell Textured Aluminum
    Finish: Double coat baked on epoxy primer / Industrial grade polyester based coating
    Thickness: 5/8 inch (OD)
    Hinge: Corrosion proof EPDM rubber.
    Weight rating: 400 LBS. - evenly distributed.
    Size of box: 68x23x8 (inches) - This is for cover only. Rails may ship in a separate box.
    Weight of box: 60 LBS.
    Install tools: 1 x 15mm or 9/16" wrench (to attach clamps for rails – Typical Installation)
    Maintenance: Wash normally with soap and water. Should you wax the cover, we recommend using clear spray on wax (i.e., Turtle Wax Express), Spray onto rag, and wipe and then polish all metal surfaces. 303 Protectant is also an excellent chield for the cover against UV
    Warranty: 2 years

KEY FEATURES:

· Intermittent locking positions.
    · Drive with the BakFlip HD fully open or in intermittent positions.
    · Integrated drainage system.
    · No drill installation.
    · Removes in seconds without tools!
    · Allows full access to stake pockets.
    · Works with Most 5th wheels hitches.
    · Works with all sprayed on bedliners and bed extenders.
    · Works with all "Under the side Rail" Plastic Bedliners.
    · Works with all factory installed plastic side rail covers and tail gate protectors
    · Panels Latch automatically.
    · With your locking tailgate, simply close cover for and you have a secure truck bed!

6. Sep 20, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    SAXD Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 4X4, MGM
    Thanks for the response. That is good to hear that the rubber hinge is holding up well and does not leak. I use my LB very similarly to yours and having the ability to use your entire bed without having to remove the cover is a pretty big plus.

7. Sep 25, 2013 at 6:56 AM
    Mingecutter

Mingecutter Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Central Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB MGM
    WeatherTech DigitalFit FloorLiners Toyota OEM Bed Mat K&N Drop-In Air Filter Center Console Organizer UltraGauge Pop & Lock Tailgate Undercover Flex Tonneau WickedFlow 13" Muffler WickedFlow Exhaust Tip AntennaX Euro-style shorty antenna Bilstein 5100s, front & rear OME 884x coils Progressive 3-Leaf AAL
    I voted "Other," as I went with the Undercover Flex along with a Pop and Lock tailgate. Total cost of roughly $750ish, as I did the installs myself.

No leaking on my Flex through several car washes and some thunderstorms here in Illinois. I really like the low-profile look and built in buckles/straps system for securing it when folded.

I installed the 6 D-rings on all of my rail brackets (3 per side), as you do lose the side rail cleats when you install this cover. One of the MANY great ideas I've gotten off this site. I also used brass hose barbs, another idea from here, and drilled small holes through my bed mat to run the smaller ends of the barb down through the drainage holes in the box. Looks super clean. I'm able to open and close my tailgate without having to lift/open the rear folding panel on mine, so I like that also.

Good luck with your choice.

8. Sep 25, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    SAXD Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 4X4, MGM

Thanks for the suggestions! If I do decide to go with the Bak/Flex type cover I definitely will be adding D-Rings to where the cover connect to the Toyota Rail system so that I don't lose tie down points.

9. Sep 25, 2013 at 6:30 PM
    SAXD Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 4X4, MGM
    I am still having a difficult time deciding which cover to go with. I just keep going back & forth between the 2 covers. I think that I have it figured out & research more & then I just seem to end up flip flopping. Really indecisive. There are features that i like & dislike about both and it is making it really difficult to choose which one to purchase. I swear it's 10 times more difficult making a decision on a cover than picking the truck I wanted to buy.

10. Sep 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM
    MetallicTaco

MetallicTaco Taco Driver Since '07

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC SB
    TRD Supercharger Alpine INE-Z928HD, TT Image Dynamics Components, TT 10" sub, JL Audio 4/600, Alpine Front and Rear facing camera lic plates
    Went with a solid fold and pop n lock combo, works great. Drove from Portland to San Diego over 2 days. Everything stayed dried through the rainy NW and Northern CA.

11. Oct 3, 2013 at 1:56 PM
    SAXD Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 4X4, MGM
    How's the longevity on these 2 covers? Any one have them for 3 or so years? How are they holding up? I'm still having a difficult time deciding which one to purchase.

12. Oct 14, 2013 at 9:14 PM
    Mobilemech

Mobilemech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    TACOMA!!! Washington
    Vehicle:
    '13 SSM PreRunner TRDSport AC
    +1 I'm leaning towards the G4 for the added security, and if I cant take a few minutes to undo the last panel to use the full bed then fuck the person who is making me do so right? I would like to see feedback as to the longevity of it... and the bakflip so as to not hijack the thread:D

13. Oct 20, 2013 at 9:22 AM
    Mobilemech

Mobilemech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    TACOMA!!! Washington
    Vehicle:
    '13 SSM PreRunner TRDSport AC
    Hey SAXD Taco I just got the fold a cover last night. They have a deal right now were they give a free 2 year factory warranty (should come free anyhow) and a free tailgate seal (again, should come with it...) plus $140 off MSRP and they still accept the TacomaWorld25 discount to give you an additional $25 off bringing the shipped cost down to $795. Nothing seemed to come quite as close as the G4 elite to being secure and weather tight unless you go with a hard clamshell style tonneau. Also have seen a ton of people bitch about how the BakFlip does not hold up and how the only real drawback to the elite is how the installation instructions aren't the greatest

14. Oct 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM
    SAXD Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 4X4, MGM
    I ended up getting the Bakflip F1. It ended up being a more comparable product to the G4 ( I bought my F1 for the same price as the G4). The thing that sold me on the F1 was the fact that it has a longer warranty, the entire bed can be used without removing the cover, the panels on the top side of the cover can't dent & the color is impregnated into the fiber composite, so there's no paint/powder coat to chip or peel off.

I actually received the cover & installed it yesterday. I think that it turned out great &looks fantastic. Pretty easy to install that took about an hour. After I installed it i ran the hose on it for 5 to 10 minutes and there was not a drop of water in the bed.

It took me almost a month to decide which cover to buy. I kept going back & forth on which cover to buy & I finally settled on the Bakflip. I really don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Products Discussed in

To Top