1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil drained after oil change :(

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mario2323, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Sep 20, 2013 at 2:56 AM
    mario2323

mario2323 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Winnemucca, NV
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma TX-Pro
    6000K HID Headlights Window Tint
    Hello amigos, I did my oil change earlier on my 2012 tx pro, and yes I drained the oil, I ended up putting a little over 5 quarts and the dipstick read about half way after letting it warm up. while I was cleaning up my junk I let it idle for about ten minutes and everything was fine. I was driving about ten miles into town and the oil light came on, I was in a one lane construction zone so I drove a couple miles to chevron. my taco had lost most oil and was all over the engine, tires and side of the truck. I refilled the oil and went to a car wash half a mile down the road, by the time I was done I drove to Wal-Mart, well, to get more oil. finally I put some in just to safely make it to my girlfriend's house a couple miles down the road, which it didn't make it. I was just wondering if the drain plug gasket could cause it to drain that much, that fast. or if you have any ideas on what it could be. I left my poor baby at some parking lot until the morning when stores are open, I live in a small town with no Toyota dealership so what size gasket should I buy? thanks in advance, I couldn't find anything by searching and I'm pretty effin paranoid right now.

2. Sep 20, 2013 at 3:10 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    I had a Toyota celica. I changed the oil one day and didn't realize the oil filter gasket from the old filter had "stuck" onto the flange ( or whatever it is called) anyhow I put the new filter on started it up within a little bit saw where most of the oil drained out because of the double seal. I doubt if leaving the washer off the oil plug would cause much more than a drip but I am by no means a mechanic.

3. Sep 20, 2013 at 3:15 AM
    00PowderSpecial

00PowderSpecial Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD DC
    Did the drain bolt come out?

4. Sep 20, 2013 at 3:19 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
  5. Sep 20, 2013 at 3:21 AM
    mario2323

mario2323 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Winnemucca, NV
    Vehicle:
    That would make sense, I think I caught it in, I haven't heard any knocking, the smoke I saw was still the oil sitting on the hot engine, I will definitely replace the filter and start from scratch, thank you for your reply!

6. Sep 20, 2013 at 3:22 AM
    mario2323

mario2323 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Winnemucca, NV
    Vehicle:
    The drain bolt is still in there, it was to dark to try again and see if I can spot where the leak is

7. Sep 20, 2013 at 3:29 AM
    fau8823

fau8823 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Tint-20%, Kenwood 2 meter radio, firestik 2 meter antenna on a BAMF tailgate mount, Extang Solid Fold , Pioneer bhs-3500 HU, clazzio leather seats, Scangauge II
    ^^^^this would be my guess. Especially if oil was sprayed all over your engine. That's right where the oil filter is located.

8. Sep 20, 2013 at 3:32 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    :popcorn: You try to do good and something like this happens.:facepalm:
    Loose filter, or missing fill cap. Only things I can think of. Probably would've noticed a missing fill cap by now.

9. Sep 20, 2013 at 3:32 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    obviously, no more driving or engine starting until you fix it...

10. Sep 20, 2013 at 3:44 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    No need to buy a new filter. Just loosen off to check for possible old gasket then hand tightened, then check if you put the oil filter cap back on. Those are the only 2 possibilities since it's spewing from the top of the engine.

11. Sep 20, 2013 at 3:44 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Had this very issue with a past car.

12. Sep 20, 2013 at 3:51 AM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
  13. Sep 20, 2013 at 3:57 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    Do the double gasket once and you will learn to check the old filter to make sure it still has a gasket on it.

14. Sep 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    When the oil light is on, you're under the shutoff pressure for the pressue switch (it's located near the oil filter housing). If you drove that truck for any distance at under 4PSI of oil pressure (which you just admitted to), that engine is toast.

Oh, it may sound OK and run OK for a while, but you've just managed to take years off the life of every main, rod and cam bearing in the motor. If it was *my* truck, I'd get oil in it, get it someplace where I could work on it, and do a few things.

First, I'd get a good oil pressure gauge, remove the oil pressure sender, install the gauge, and check the hot idle, cold idle and 3000 rpm oil pressures. See if you're anywhere near close to factory spec. They give you a big range in the manual, but at least see if you're close to the bottom end of the range. Next, I would pull the plugs and inspect each bore for scoring (you'll have to manually rotate the engine to get each piston at BDC for a good look.) Then I would pull the valve covers, timing cover and timing chain, pull the cams and mic them and plastigauge the bearings. If there's any excessive wear on the cam bearings, plan on a complete teardown and rebuild. If the bores are scored or badly scuffed, throw the block away - you can't bore these blocks - they're aluminum with cast iron (paper thin) sleeves. Or, you could try to find a decent motor out of a wrecking yard. Personally, I'd rather spend the time and $$ to rebuild my known junk than guess about someone else's possibly broken junk.

BTW, I'm surprised you had enough oil pressure for the VVT-i system to function. It's possible you may be the luckiest stiff in the world, but the "oil light" is basically the "pull over and buy a new engine light" on these trucks.

I'm guessing your nearest dealer is probably going to be Reno, if you need parts. The drain pan gasket isn't going to cause you to dump all your oil, though. It's either an issue with the filter, or something in that general area of the engine.

15. Sep 20, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    Or he could just put oil in it and drive it for another 150K miles with no issues. No need to speculate a worse case scenario for something that's probably a non-issue.

16. Sep 20, 2013 at 8:01 AM
    mario2323

mario2323 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Winnemucca, NV
    Vehicle:
    Thank you guys for your replies, I'll be going back to the truck in a while to see if it's just the filter . There is no putting " enough oil" to make it home anymore, I live ten miles out of town and I can't even make it 2 miles. I'll keep you guys posted, again thank you for the replies, I really appreciate it!

17. Sep 20, 2013 at 8:07 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Exactly. No need to fuck around.

If the engine is damaged, you'll hear it. Now or very soon.

If a Honda can run for thousands of miles with 500ml of oil, your Toyota can run low for a few minutes.

Find your leak, fix your leak, put oil in it, verify its not leaking and drive that bitch.

18. Sep 20, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    It's very, very likely the filter. If the drain plug loosened or was leaking, you wouldn't have ended up with oil high up on the engine. Either your filter backed off or the old filter gasket got stuck preventing a proper seal with the new filter. Do you put a little oil on the filter gasket when you install it?

19. Sep 20, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    mario2323

mario2323 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Winnemucca, NV
    Vehicle:
    Yes sir I did

20. Sep 20, 2013 at 8:37 AM