1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Change, Syth & Stock Filter 90915-YZZD3 Options?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ZebraTaco, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Sep 20, 2013 at 5:59 AM
    ZebraTaco

ZebraTaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I've been changing the oil myself in my 2011 Taco since I got it new (save myself time if nothing else) and I was thinking about doing two new things for the next oil change...

I want to try the synthetic oil and would appreciate brand and weight recommendations (I've HEARD that the weight is different when you use synthetic and that confuses the hell out of me)...

And...

I was going to try the OEM style 90915-YZZD3 filter for once -- I've always just used the cheapest thing at Walmart or Autozone but the truck is burning oil really fast and when I change it at 3k, it's coming out almost black.

When I look it up from the dealer, it's so cheap ($4.22 https://parts.olathetoyota.com/90915-yzzd3.html) and I'm wondering how these stock ones stack up against brands like WIX or K&N?

I know, it's a like of over thinking about an oil change, but I was looking at the prices of new trucks, and decided it's time to baby the hell out of the one I've got because I'm not getting a new one again EVER.

Thanks for the help!

2. Sep 20, 2013 at 6:11 AM
    WHPLSH3

WHPLSH3 Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Spruce Mica 6spd 4x4
    Build thread coming soon!
    Use a Toyota filter, and the black should stop... eventually. It may take a few changes to rinse all of it out.
    Synthetic oil is the same weight as conventional- 5W-30 is the same 5 weight for winter/30 weight for summer either way. The difference is, all the oil molecules in synthetic are the same size. Conventional, you get a mixed bag. That's why synthetic flows easier when cold.
    I'm troubled that your oil is black when you change it- even with a cheap filter, toyotas usually don't dirty their oil that much. Are you changing it often enough?

3. Sep 20, 2013 at 6:26 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Your owners manual will tell you what type / weight and quantity of oil to use.

You can't go wrong with a Toyota filter. Shop around online and you can get them cheaper buying a case.

Talking about oil filters & *which is best* - is probably the biggest 'heated' debate on any automotive forum. Just do your research, use your common sense, and make your own decisions of what filter you want to use based on what you've read.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  4. Sep 20, 2013 at 6:32 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Need more information......

How are you determining its burning oil? How often are you changing your oil? How much oil are you loosing (approx)?

If you have an internal enging problem - changing to synthetic isn't necessarily going to make things better. In fact.... using synthetic could possibly make it worse because synthetics tend to penetrate further than regular oils.

You own a 2011.... Are you still under warranty?? If Yes...take it back to the dealer!!!!

5. Sep 20, 2013 at 6:40 AM
    photonashville

photonashville Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Silver 4x4 long bed with Leer
    Next time you change your oil, swap 1 quart with Marvel Mystery Oil and let us know if that improves things by the following oil change, oil color, how the engine is running etc. You can buy it at Walmart, Amazon etc. It can't hurt and it just might help.

6. Sep 20, 2013 at 6:44 AM
    OldChuck

OldChuck Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Upstate SC
    If we talked about different oils then we could post volumes and start wars. Do your research and you will find what you want. Bobistheoilguy is a site if you want to know more then you ever thought about oils. Synthetic weights are listed the same as dino oil. I have read more on oil then I want to remember and for 98% of driving, most full synthetics will do the job for you. You can get into different tiers of oils but for most of us, any well known full synthetic will work for you. From what I have read, the Toyota filter is one of the best OEM filters out there. I just started to use a K&N and will report how it does. Will not list the specific oil I use as I don't want to start a war or a never ending thread. I may get some Blackstone oil analysis done just to keep track on what is going on in the 2013 I recently got. Don't stress, just read what is out there and make your own decisions about what you need...

7. Sep 20, 2013 at 7:18 AM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    The -D3 filter works well and it's not too expensive.

One word of caution. For the first 15k on my '12, I was using the more expensive -20004 filters (the ones that come on the truck from the factory). Either I got into a bad batch of them, or they are too restrictive. At cold start my oil light was taking a second to shut off when using the -20004. I pulled that filter, put a -D3 on, and the oil light would go off in <1 second.

I thought it was a bad drainback valve, but I tested it and it was fine.

8. Sep 20, 2013 at 7:28 AM
    N2DIVING

N2DIVING Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capistrano Beach Ca
    Vehicle:
    I got a case of 10 OEM oil filters delivered from a dealer on eBay for 38.40

Do the math

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Sep 27, 2013 at 9:01 PM
    Faryota

Faryota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mic
    Ridgefield, WA.
    Vehicle:
    13, 4x4, long bed, Sport, Debad
    6" BDS lift in front, warn winch, AFE cold air intake & exhaust, Body Armor Rear bumper, Tuffy in bed storage box, DZ bed mat, ARB front bumper & Warn winch w/light kit, Husky floor mats, dash mat,
    My question is how soon can I switch over to a full synthetic??? I have about 1500 miles on the v-6 now....

10. Sep 28, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    rickcrna

rickcrna Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 AC SR5 4WD I4 Auto MGM
    Now or at your first scheduled oil change.

11. Sep 30, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    Faryota

Faryota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mic
    Ridgefield, WA.
    Vehicle:
    13, 4x4, long bed, Sport, Debad
    6" BDS lift in front, warn winch, AFE cold air intake & exhaust, Body Armor Rear bumper, Tuffy in bed storage box, DZ bed mat, ARB front bumper & Warn winch w/light kit, Husky floor mats, dash mat,
    Thanks! I will change it over to Mobil 1 next week! I had heard you needed to wait till the engine had 5 or 6 thousand miles on it???

Products Discussed in

To Top