1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cutting overload leaf to reduce lean

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Calboyincal, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Sep 20, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    Calboyincal

Calboyincal [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garth
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Access Cab Sport 4x4
    TRD shifter, Alpine 940bt, Leer 100R, Nitto Terra Grappler P265/70r17
    I just got my lift installed (icon extended front, icon progressive rear leaf pack) and got rid of the lean in front. However the rear is still cocked about 1/2" to the drivers side... trying to figure out how to get rid of the lean in the rear I guess other than refurbishing or a new leaf pack I was thinking of cutting the overload leaf down to essentially the size of a block ( :-o) to level it out... thoughts? Has anyone tried this? I couldn't find anything on rear shims, although I know there are fronts...

2. Sep 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    It doesn't sound like that would work, or I don't understand what your talking about (Is your overload still installed?). Just get some 1/2 metal and make your own block, drill a center hole and bolt it in.

3. Sep 20, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    Calboyincal

Calboyincal [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garth
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Access Cab Sport 4x4
    TRD shifter, Alpine 940bt, Leer 100R, Nitto Terra Grappler P265/70r17
    The overload leafs were removed when the lift was installed... I was thinking that it would be close to the right height to have just the width of the leaf in there, essentially the same as you are suggesting. Just didn't know if its been done before.

4. Sep 20, 2013 at 12:09 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    I've heard messing with the rear in that way would screw up the geometry of the suspension. I've read (and did) the best way to fix the rear driver side lean is to put the .25" spacer on top of the driver side spring coil up front. I had the rear driver side lean by about .5". After adding the Toytec 1/4" top plate spacer. I'm all level on all 4 corners. I'd reccomend that route before messing with the rear.

1 question for you.
    When you measured how much gas was in the tank? It's usually worse when there is a full tank of gas because that adds roughly 120#'s to the rear driver side.

5. Sep 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Give it a week....New suspensions need to settle. You won't have the same amount of lift when you first install it as you will after it settles.

Gas tank full or empty?

Are the lift coils side specific?? Swap coil assemblies from side to side and see what happens.

Are your shackles moving freely?

Just because it 'appears' like the rear is sagging....It could be the front sagging.

I WOULD NOT install a mini-block on only one side of the rear suspension. You can get top plate spacers that will install easily on your front suspension if you really and truly need it. But personally, I'd give it some time to settle out first.

Products Discussed in

To Top