1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Climate Control Pod - burnt connection FYI

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Janster, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Sep 20, 2013 at 10:27 PM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    For a month or so, the lights on the right side of my climate control unit has been out. I did brief searching and discovered if I tap on it, the lights will come back on. Loose connection, no big deal. I'll take the controls out someday and look at it.

Two night ago..... My truck won't start. Everything else is 'on' (per say) but a lot of clicking (and clicking in the dash too) - not enough high end power to start the truck. Today - I take the truck into the Toyota dealer to check the battery and the entire charging system. Everything is good.

Driving to work later today - I turn on the A/C....No cold air. Now what?
    I'm playing with the controls trying to get cold air. Nothing. And then I had this brain fart.....TAP on the climate control unit...and whalaaaa....I've got cold air!!!

This forced me to open up the climate control unit and this is what I see:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm almost willing to bet...the reason my truck wouldn't start the other night was due to this *short* .... My husband works with electronics & circuit boards...so I'm hoping he can open this thing up and take a look at what's under all that plastic.

Just wanted to give you guys an FYI. If the lights in your climate control aren't working..... you might get a similar experience I had.

I'll let you know what I find.....
    I did find a really nice PDF for diagnosing the climate controls
    http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41091131/2012 TACOMA CLIMATE CONTROL.pdf

JoshMcC and 2K_Taco like this.
  2. Sep 21, 2013 at 4:53 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I also work with electronics and this is the result of a loose connection ( resistance ) acting like a heater. If you could clean up the connector and get it to fit tighter on the pin or spade you should be OK.

3. Sep 23, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    My husband took some things apart, cleaned up the connections and greased 'em. The male connector looks fine - missing some of its shiny silvery coating (down to copper). The female connector, he can't extract without the right extracting tool. Anyone familiar with what he needs?

Wire extracting/insertion tool specific to Toyota? And or...what crimp end he needs to replace (if needed)?

4. Sep 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I'll have to check mine, same lights out on the right side of controls symptoms.

A paper clip or jewelers screwdriver or pick won't work?

5. Sep 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Maybe.... I'd rather buy the right tools if we can. Considering, this is the wire harness end. Don't want to take any chances of screwing something up.

My husband might actually have the tools/parts where he works, just need to know which kind. Apparently, there are tons of different types of extraction tools.

6. Sep 23, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I need to find a set of the flat finger style spark plug gap tools and modify those. I deal with all kinds of these connectors.

7. Sep 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    That is what I normally use ( carefully ).

8. Sep 25, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    My climate control 'lights' still aren't working - and with a little tap on the side, they come on again - same as before.

I felt adventurous today and decided to try and open this thing up. A bunch of screws & tabs..... I was able to see the backside of the circuit board, but that's as far as I dared to go. There's a ribbon connector from the board to the harnass and I didn't want to take any chances of pulling this thing apart. Afterall - it still works.

This is probably the same contract manufacturer who built the circuit board in the overhead console. Poor quality solder joints..... Unfortunately, I couldn't get in there enough to see it.

Looks like I'm gonna be shopping for a new/used Climate Control unit. The last thing I want/need is to keep 'wondering' when this will short out again.:rolleyes:
    Holy mother of god....Local Dealer quoted NEW: $730
    partznet NEW $561
    Ebay USED $150 and up

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    JoshMcC likes this.
  9. Sep 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I took a chance here - spur of the moment decision. I just ordered a Used climate control panel from this place:
    http://www.ranchotoyotatruckparts.com/

$100 for the part...$15 shipping with 90 day guarantee.

I hope this doesn't end up biting me in the ass later. I'll let you know how it goes. This is the cheapest I've found for a used panel.

10. Sep 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    Are you gonna open up your original further now? Could you post pictures if you do?

11. Sep 25, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    That's funny...I was actually thinking of that. If this replacement works, I might give it to my husband to take to work. They have a guy who does that kinda thing.

Dunno...depends on what kinda mood the husband is in. ;)
    We'd have to make a write-up (if possible) but I can't promise anything.

12. Sep 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    :thumbsup: :popcorn:

13. Sep 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    My left side lights were going out on my 09 that I just traded in, a little tap on the left side and they would light right back up. Never a problem with the air or any other climate related item that I noticed.

14. Oct 31, 2013 at 4:41 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Sorry so late on this.....

I actually tried opening things up....and got to a point where I couldn't go any further. There's a ribbon cable inside there that you can't 'see' the ends of it.

I talked to my husband and he mentioned that 'ribbon cables' (especially smaller thin ones) are extremely sensitive and impossible to repair or even take off. Because they have so many 'connection' points on the board that any little movement can break the leads. ??

Oh well...I'm happy with the used part I'm running. It's doing good so far.

15. Dec 28, 2016 at 6:50 PM
    2K_Taco

2K_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Campbell, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 4x4 TRD
    I had a similar incident with a 2000 TRD 4wd tacoma yesterday. I replaced the stock stereo a few months ago and the lights on the climate control did not work after I closed up everything.

So a few months later (yesterday), I open up the dash to see if anything is loose, check the bulbs and I did not see/find any issues... I button things up and the truck does not start...??? Just clicks from the starter. I charged the battery for a little while but the same thing.

Eventually got a jump to see if it was the battery and the truck started fine. Drove to get a new battery, no issues. (It was at least 4-5 years old) Then this morning I noticed that my left headlight went out...? Coincidence? (And the 2 climate control lights are still off).

I'm not sure what the connection is between the climate control and the battery? (If there is one) A short in the unit should not drain it.

16. Dec 29, 2016 at 6:56 PM
    THE CALICO

THE CALICO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    Black 2014 TRD SPORT ACCESS CAB
    What was the final solution for this? I have the exact same problem and also swapped out the AC control panel and it's still doing it.

Products Discussed in

To Top