1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

12' Tacoma TRD Sport sitting for a year!?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Gillythekidd, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Sep 23, 2013 at 9:42 PM
    Gillythekidd

Gillythekidd [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    So, I recently recieved a short notice assignment to a remote area. I bought a 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 a couple months before. I currently only have 8,XXX miles on the truck right now. Problem I have is that I had to leave my truck in the garage. Right before I left I put Fuel Stabilizer in the tank and ran it down to almost empty, I'll be able to come home for a month in April, then leave again until September. I have nobody to crank or do anything with my truck. Just want to know if everything should be ok, I know I will probably have to replace the battery but I shouldn't have any more problems should I? Just wanted to ask and see some opinions. I am new to this Forum world.

2. Sep 23, 2013 at 10:08 PM
    TxFireman

TxFireman Factory Pilot

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC-SB TRD-OR, tow package, entune/nav
    I agree, disconnecting the battery would probably be better. Either add pressure to tires, or if you have the time and means, jack it up and set it on jack stands or blocks to keep the eight off them. Cover the truck as best you can.

This one is a little more extreme, but not bad.. but I have heard of folks filling the oil up really high and draining it when they get back. I guess the idea is to keep condensation down in the block? I've never had to leave a vehicle sitting this long, but have seen lists in other forums over the years of those who have. You might do a search on the net in general, as you're not the only one who's had to do this. Vehicle are vehicles, so the same ideas apply.

3. Sep 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM

169.254.255.201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Interwebs
  4. Sep 23, 2013 at 10:14 PM
    dsrtne1

dsrtne1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Southern CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    King 2.5" Coilovers, Total Chaos UCAs, Maxtrac Spindles, 2.5" King Rear Shocks with Compression Adjusters, Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 18" Magnaflow muffler, 30" LED Lightbar, Ultragauge, Tinted Windows
    What he said ^. Getting the truck on jack stands will prevent flat spots on the tires. Also, I would fill the tank all the way up and then stabilize the fuel. This prevents moisture from accumulating in the tank and keeps all the rubber seals from drying out and rotting.

5. Sep 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    kingofthecrate

kingofthecrate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NELA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4BYE IN YOUR MOUTH
    I would buy a battery tender cheap on Amazon, I wouldn't disconnect the battery, it will mostly likely die and wont be able to take a charge. A battery tender (if you have access to power) is the way to go. keeps everything fresh and I would find someone to come in and start the vehicle for you every 3 months to keep the seals lubed. thats the most important because they dry out and leak.

6. Sep 25, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I would not worry too much over it we have pulled things out of barns that have sat for 20 years or more and had them running with in a hour.

7. Sep 25, 2013 at 4:35 PM
    plurpimpin

plurpimpin Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    I would not run your tank down to near empty. It's better to store the truck with a full tank and fuel stabilizer, will prevent rust and condensation in the gas tank.

8. Sep 25, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    If I were you I would put fuel stabilizer and a battery management system.

9. Sep 25, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    2004TacomaNavy

2004TacomaNavy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Oak Harbor, WA.
    Vehicle:
    04 Extra Cab 4X4 SR5
    All Pro rock sliders, U-Bolt flip kit, Shock mount relocation tabs, All Pro Billy 3" lift front and back, 2014 Tundra Bed Rail tie down system, Fuel 17X8.5 Wheels on 32's, LED front light bar, Raptor style grill W/lights, Tinted Headlights w/LEDs, ARB Dual Air Compressor W/ 2 Gal. Tank, Smoked Tail Lights, Double Din Sat radio w/ back-up camera, Redline Hood Struts, ARB Dual air compressor W/ 20 Gal. air tank, Sig P320C Security System!
    I had my 2004 sit for two 7 month back to back deployments with no problems when I got back. I am getting ready to leave for another 10 months or maybe more.

1) Disconnect the battery and get a slow trickle charger from Auto Zone. It has a built in sensor that stops charging it when it's full. No need for a new battery.

2) Fuel stabilizer

3) Put it up on blocks. No flat spots on tires that way

4) Oil change on return before driving.

5) After you do the oil change and connect the battery, I would disconnect the coil wire and crank the motor over to pump the new oil through the engine before starting it up just to make sure all of the oil passages have fresh oil in them. Makes for less wear on the crank and internal parts.

Be safe!

10. Sep 25, 2013 at 5:01 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    x2

11. Sep 25, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    What everyone else is saying: full tank, premium, non-ethanol if you can find it, fuel stabilizer, leave tires at normal running pressure and get that sucker up on jack stands. Unplug the battery I think is the best option for that. You may have to charge it but you shouldn't have to replace it, I'd be surprised if you did.

If you get to come home in April and then back for good in September I think that will be more than enough.

Nice truck BTW. Enjoy it.

12. Sep 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    rustbus

rustbus Well-Known Member

Member:
    western Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TrailTeam Pro - white
    change the oil before you go as well. if the oil has 8000 on it it will also have contaminants built up. you don't want the sort of corrosive chemicals that build up in there sitting for so long. carbon, unspent fuel, water, etc.. cheap insurance.

I had a custom engine built by a pro for another vehicle type and its imperative that i change the oil before winter storage, or i'd risk warranty coverage. he's adamant the dirty oil shouldn't be left to sit in there.

its also recommended to change that new oil when you get back for 100% fresh before running it...but even i think that overkill...but im no engine builder either!

plan on keeping it forever? then an extra oil change is a minor cost.

13. Sep 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM
    A3umph

A3umph Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    outside of KCMO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma Access Cab TRD OR
    I would store it with less gas and a fuel stabilizer. A plastic gas tank can't rust. Then when you place it back in service fill the tank with fresh fuel.

14. Sep 26, 2013 at 5:35 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    i wouldnt put the truck on blocks or jack stands. just over inflate the tires a bit.

the suspension is not designed to be 'unloaded' at full extension for such a long time. (shocks, bushings, boots, ect ect) just for the sake of flat spotting tires which usually work themselves out after they heat back up anyways. id be more worried about mice and the risks of keeping the battery connected.

15. Sep 26, 2013 at 5:58 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If I were to leave my truck that long, I'd do the following:
    1. Full tank of fuel with Startron fuel enzyme treatment
    2. Disconnect the battery
    3. Moth balls around and under the engine compartment of the truck or something to keep mice away
    4. Jack stands, not full extension of the front suspension, but enough to unweight it a bit (not really necessary, but could help your tires), the rear I'd put the stands under the axle.
    5. Wash/wax and cover

On return, I'd run it, get it to temperature, then drain and refill the oil.

I'm not a mechanic by any means, these are just the steps I'd take if I were to leave my truck for that long.

16. Sep 26, 2013 at 6:34 AM
    bshack

bshack Active Member

Member:
    Olathe, KS
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5
    I wish I would have had a garage option when I went on deployment.. I had to put my car in a secure lot on base. I always came back to a running car after deployment. A new Tacoma will surely be OK in a nice garage! My car at the time was an Oldsmobile! If It started right up, then you are golden!!!!

17. Sep 26, 2013 at 7:37 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    I'm in NH and store 2 types of vehicles for 6-8 months at a time- snowmobiles in the summer and street bikes in the winter. Always a full tank of stabilized gas. It's not rusting of the tank that is bad (although it can happen with a metal tank) it's just water in the gas from condensation. Less air= less condensation= less water in your gas. In sleds and bikes it's a concern, but honestly most modern autos can handle a lot of crap gas, so I wouldn't worry.

18. Sep 28, 2013 at 1:28 PM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    Since the battery appears to be OEM battery over three years old, I would disconnect it and replace it with a fresh, fully charged battery that is the same BCI Type number when I returned. After a year, it will be sulfated and unreliable.

Good luck with your deployment and thanks for your service!

19. Sep 28, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    AaronArf

AaronArf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB
    There are a few of these threads floating around...I've done two deployments since I've had my tacoma.
    Full tank of fuel with stabilizer
    Use a battery tender. I disconnected mine and put it on a tender on the work bench b/c my truck lived in a storage unit.
    Over inflate tires by ~25% to minimize flat spotting.
    Steel wool in the exhaust so no critters can get in
    Moth balls/dryer sheets around the truck on the wheel wells etc. Mice don't like the smell.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top