Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2014 Auto Dimming Mirror

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2013, 01:28 AM   #41
Solo707 is a jewel in the roughSolo707 is a jewel in the roughSolo707 is a jewel in the roughSolo707 is a jewel in the rough

Law Enforcement:
Solo707's Tacoma Gallery
I've always wanted to use this so without further adieu...

:-)
Old 10-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #42
Domreis is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Domreis's Tacoma Gallery
So here are some pictures of the wiring that is in the 2014. Can anyone tell me if that is a similar harness to that in the 2013?

Also, for the guy who was asking. The Weathertechs from the 2013 fit perfectly in the 2014.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #43
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
That's the plug for the rear view mirror but there's some wires missin for the camera ifim not mistaken
Old 10-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #44
CWG is on a distinguished road

CWG's Tacoma Gallery
That only looks to have power and ground. If you have a tester, see if provides power when the ignition is in acc mode.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #45
2013TuRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Bruce
2013TuRD's Tacoma Gallery
My 2013 TRD off-road has homelink. Canadian model.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #46
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtr View Post
Does that mean they also do NOT come with temperature and/or compass (as stated in the brochure)?

If not can you push the dealer to 'fix' this at no cost since the it's stated in the brochure?

What about installing an aftermarket 'Gentex' - I think I saw where those are marketed with Toyota harnesses adapters (don't know about 2014 Tacos)?
I feel like once you purchase the vehicle they can rightfully say you knew what was included in the actual Tacoma you bought. Or maybe there is some law out there enforcing manufacturer brochures but I highly doubt it.

Toyota's idea of adding things in while taking things out is dumb. Especially since they really didn't do anything different for 2014 than redesign the HU.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #47
saread is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaread is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaread is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaread is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaread is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaread is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaread is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaread is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaread is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaread is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
saread's Tacoma Gallery
I picked up my 2014 last night and raised the issue with the dealer. They are scrambling to figure it out. Toyota marketing materials distinctly indicate that the auto dim mirror, compass and external temp guage is provided with the TRD packages. The build sheet that came with the truck does not have it. This is known as bait and switch; definitely a no-no. But, I should hasten to say that I don't think it's intentional on the part of Toyota. I think it's a disconnect between marketing and production - like that's never happened before. So, the dealer is scrambling trying to determine what the deal is. I don't expect much, but if I can hold them up for a new hat or something, that would be a good.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #48
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
Man, I'd be bummed not to have the auto dim. I never even knew these things existed before buying my truck, and now it's something I can't live without. I also back up to a trailer a lot and much prefer the camera to be in the rear view mirror. I'd hate to have to switch vision from the mirror to the head unit.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #49
Domreis is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Domreis's Tacoma Gallery
So I just tested the power on the harness up in the headliner and it is ground and 12v accessory.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #50
pbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
pbm317's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdevTac View Post
I feel like once you purchase the vehicle they can rightfully say you knew what was included in the actual Tacoma you bought. Or maybe there is some law out there enforcing manufacturer brochures but I highly doubt it.

Toyota's idea of adding things in while taking things out is dumb. Especially since they really didn't do anything different for 2014 than redesign the HU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saread View Post
Toyota marketing materials distinctly indicate that the auto dim mirror, compass and external temp guage is provided with the TRD packages. The build sheet that came with the truck does not have it. This is known as bait and switch; definitely a no-no. But, I should hasten to say that I don't think it's intentional on the part of Toyota. I think it's a disconnect between marketing and production - like that's never happened before

This is why Toyota, and every other product manufacturer out there has a similar statement on brochures, websites, everywhere similar to:

"All information presented herein is based on data available at the time of printing, is subject to change without notice and pertains specifically to mainland U.S.A. vehicles only. Prototypes shown. Actual production vehicles may vary."
Old 10-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #51
saread is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaread is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaread is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaread is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaread is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaread is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaread is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaread is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaread is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaread is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
saread's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbm317 View Post
This is why Toyota, and every other product manufacturer out there has a similar statement on brochures, websites, everywhere similar to:

"All information presented herein is based on data available at the time of printing, is subject to change without notice and pertains specifically to mainland U.S.A. vehicles only. Prototypes shown. Actual production vehicles may vary."
That sort of language is decidedly not present on the brochure I have. What it does say is this:

"Toyota strives to build vehicles to match customer interest and thus they typically are built with popular options and option packages. Not all options/packages are available separately and some may not be available in all regions of the country. See toyota.com for information about options/packages commonly available in your area. If you would prefer a vehicle without any or with different options, contact your dealer to check for current availablity or the possibility of placing a special order."

This disclaimer appear to be dealing with special orders. It doesn't look, or read, like an escape clause for not living up to promises made by marketing.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #52
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That sort of language is decidedly not present on the brochure I have. What it does say is this:

"Toyota strives to build vehicles to match customer interest and thus they typically are built with popular options and option packages. Not all options/packages are available separately and some may not be available in all regions of the country. See toyota.com for information about options/packages commonly available in your area. If you would prefer a vehicle without any or with different options, contact your dealer to check for current availablity or the possibility of placing a special order."

This disclaimer appear to be dealing with special orders. It doesn't look, or read, like an escape clause for not living up to promises made by marketing.
It says the ""All information presented herein is based on data available at the time of printing, is subject to change without notice and pertains specifically to mainland U.S.A. vehicles only. Prototypes shown. Actual production vehicles may vary." within the online brochure.

But if it doesn't say it on the paperwork you use to special order and where the package information is on similar paperwork/brochures then looks like it is on Toyota. But I am sure they would be resilient to accommodating anyone once the deal is done and the Tacoma gets handed off to the buyer. My dad bought his Tacoma and it was missing a little rubber piece on the center console and it took that dealership 3 months to finally get him a new rubber piece.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #53
Gerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeremy
Gerrrr's Tacoma Gallery
My 2013 DCLB TRD Sport has the auto dim and home link mirror but I got screwed on the SAT radio in the non JBL HU. I never even looked for the XM logo when test driving because who removes these sort of tech features year to year...... just plain confusing.

The four most important questions when buying a Tacoma. (Because nothing else has changed since 2005)

Where's the camera display?
Does it have SAT?
Does the mirror auto dim?
Does it have home link?

Ha Ha, distracting us with the bright object.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #54
pbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
pbm317's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Look lower, not in the main disclosures, bottom right above the Tread Lightly logo
Old 10-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #55

CWG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domreis View Post
So I just tested the power on the harness up in the headliner and it is ground and 12v accessory.

For those fighting dealers, that would at least run an autodim/homelink mirror. I would shoot for that.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #56
MX81 will become famous soon enoughMX81 will become famous soon enough
MX81's Tacoma Gallery
For the '14 owners that are wanting to add the auto-dimming mirror with temp and compass, will the plug be able to feed to temp readings ?
Old 10-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #57

CWG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX81 View Post
For the '14 owners that are wanting to add the auto-dimming mirror with temp and compass, will the plug be able to feed to temp readings ?

If would have to be custom if all the 14's have only the 2 wires in the plug like Domreis posted above.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #58
ultravista is on a distinguished road
ultravista's Tacoma Gallery
I posted the same question regarding the temp/auto dim. My 2014 Offroad has the standard mirror, nothing else. Has anyone made progress with Toyota and/or their dealer addressing the problem?
Old 10-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #59
ultravista is on a distinguished road
ultravista's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #60
MX81 will become famous soon enoughMX81 will become famous soon enough
MX81's Tacoma Gallery
I think we're on our own here.

Does anyone know what Gentex # would be a plug and play that included temp gauge ? I have emailed asking, but yet to hear back.

Products Discussed in this Thread