1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

To tow or not?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Wire89, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Sep 30, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    Wire89

Wire89 [OP] Member

Member:
    I'd some feedback from those that haul a lot with their Tacoma. I'm looking at a long distance trip with my 05 Tacoma 2wd pre runner dbl cab from Cali to Alaska and back via Louisiana, about 7000 miles. For half the trip I will be loaded with 3 motorcycles totaling 850-900 lbs. two of them in the bed and one on a hitch hauler. I will then have about 300 lbs of gear and two people. I know already this exceeds the payload capacity and will be looking at help springs or bags. I like the idea of keeping everything on the truck instead of pulling a trailer, less drag, less maneuvering hassle, less overall weight, less risk of tire blow out. Question is whether or not this is just too much to ask of this truck on long distance, particularly with th third bike hanging off the tail end?

2. Sep 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    bobbybreach

bobbybreach Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bobby
    westchester NY
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD
    i personally think it will be fine. ive put wayyy more then what i was supposed to in the truck with ppl and gear and i dont think about it. others will say dont do it of course. but if you are that concerned you can always get a AAL and some better springs. but then your looking at spending more money.

3. Sep 30, 2013 at 1:12 PM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    I have a first gen on negative arched leafs and easily tow that much with my boat no problem. Just kill the overdrive on the inclines.

4. Sep 30, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    I was just checking the route you would likely be taking. I know that there is one section of the Alaska highway (97) before you enter the Yukon from BC, that is in fairly rough shape. Or was a little more than a year ago when I went that way.
    Judging from where youre heading from, youll miss that section all together.
    Just make sure your brakes and tires are all good.

Have you travelled to Alaska before?

5. Sep 30, 2013 at 1:37 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    I’d do this with my truck if i was in your situation. but i’d probably have a small trailer for the bikes at least, one thing nice about towing them on a trailer is most of the weight is not on the truck it’s on the trailer. also would not do it with passenger rated tires on the truck if i was to do it. the side walls flex a lot more.

6. Sep 30, 2013 at 1:52 PM
    LoadedTaco

LoadedTaco Kick A$$ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    You should check out this guys build thread. He did a sweet airbag setup in the back. It is not crazy expensive, but it allows him to tow his heavy boat. The Airbags are adjustable bump stops. Seems like an option. You don't want to take a risk on that long of a drive spend the time and do your research.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...tx-proaja.html

7. Sep 30, 2013 at 3:24 PM
    Wire89

Wire89 [OP] Member

Member:
    appreciate the informed responses...truck will be loaded from Cali to Alaska then empty from Alaska to Louisiana (one other concern about the trailer option, just towing empty wait), then loaded again back to Cali. When I say Alaska it's really just a dip over the border in Hyder to unload and start a ride. Never driven in Canada before.
    what brand tires are people liking for such a use/trip?

Products Discussed in

To Top