1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Poll: Bug deflectors and rain deflectors

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ajw1986, Oct 3, 2013.

?

Bug deflectors and rain deflectors?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2013.
  1. Bug deflector only

11.9%
  2. Rain deflector only

36.2%
  3. Both

25.0%
  4. None, they are all ugly

26.9%
  1. Oct 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
    Agreed. I had mine installed when I ordered my truck, therefore like any Toyota installed equipment it's covered by the warranty.
    [​IMG]

2. Oct 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    ajw1986

ajw1986 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Pitt Meadows, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    06 Money Pit
    They definetly look better on darker trucks, the brownish plastic looks like a turd on my hood. Guess i'm just removing it for now!

3. Oct 4, 2013 at 12:09 PM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx Master Shredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    CDA Idaho/ Deadhorse Ak
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SW TRD OR/ 2015 tundra CM off road sr5
    3in lift, 5100s front and rear, OME 887 springs 2in aal, 285 75 16 Duratracs, mb 352 black wheels, white sport grill, derp'd lower valance, derp'd front toyota emblem white, tinted windows, tinted tail lights, trd shorty antenna, trd hitch cover, trd valve stem caps, trd neoprene covers, trd all weather floor mats, kenwood double din, stampede window visors, flyzeye interior leds, anytime fog light mod, flashlight mod, kool vue intake, LED dome light, Lund bug shield, TRD shift knob,front mud flaps removed, Debadged, truxedo roll up bed cover, led fog light bulbs, led parking light bulbs, led dtrls bulbs, led headlight bulbs, led back up light bulbs, led license plate bulbs, tinted license plate covers, 18" magnaflow muffler, 32in ebay, light bar, coverking neoprene resr seat cover, oem trd skid plate, trd decal on center caps, oem trd exhaust tip, blacked out pinch welds, color matched mirror covers.
    i have both lund bug deflector and stampede rain visors...the more visors the better i saw a first gen with a rear window visor to wonder if there is one made for 2nd gen??

4. Oct 4, 2013 at 12:51 PM
    Konvict KROG

Konvict KROG Live Free or Die Trying

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Old Toyota's, Power Wagon, and a Tacoma
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    I had both on my 2008, loved the rain visors, they were in channel. The bug visor was factory toyota and i took it off, it was a PITA to clean and it wore the paint off in like 6 places accross the front of the hood. It used metal brackets.

My 2012 came from the dealer with both as well, the bug visor i took off (are i think is hte brand) and it is all plastic, no metal clips. The rain/window visors were stuck to the outside of the frame with some sticky crap. When i sold the 2012 i took them off.

My 2013 Currently has both, i took the rain/window visors and put them in the channels (i think they were supposed to be origionaly on the 12) i love them, very nice on hot days and in the rain or sun. i currently have the bug visor on as well, but its becuase the black strip in the front of the hood looks huge on my super white 13, and it broke up the like for my eye. Im not sold on it either way.

5. Oct 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    for sure, it happened to mine. But like another user posted, i had no rock chips on my hood!

my 2008 did have a broken windshield from a rock chip though.

6. Oct 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    i think the silver makes it look worse, it looks like my factory one did on the 2008. The edge of it would always catch stuff (rags, clothes, trees)

7. Oct 4, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Bug deflectors definitely DO NOT damage your paint, at least not all of them. I have the the avs one that attaches on the bottom of the hood, it doesn't touch the front or top and after a year the hood still looks fine underneath. I'm taking it off now just to experiment and see if it affects the mpg's at all.

8. Oct 4, 2013 at 3:46 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    The factory ones with metal clips DEFFINATELY do, just a matter of time.

The aftermarket one like you mention, which i think is the same as mine may not.. After 6k miles i took mine off and there was no damage at all. Its back on now.

Who knows how many mount which way, but there are at least two types :)

The thing i do like about mine is the way it keeps some of the rain off the windshield at hwy speeds. As far as bugs it seems like it directs all large bugs right to the center of my windshield.

9. Oct 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    TheGoat

TheGoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    White 07 SR5 4x4 6spd
    OME 885 springs on 90000 shocks, sway bar removed 1.5" AAL on 285/75/16s
    My truck had a bug guard when I bought it. It already has damaged the paint so I have to fix that when I do take it off. I love my Rain guards though had them on my last taco too.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  10. Oct 4, 2013 at 11:00 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Only if you're a smoker and it's raining.

11. Oct 4, 2013 at 11:21 PM
    Biznitch15

Biznitch15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    José
    Los Angeles/San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    None Yet
    Alright chief, I see you're a sea bee. But I just want to make sure you're not on that piece of shit frank cable correct?

12. Oct 4, 2013 at 11:59 PM
    Konvict KROG

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    i have a strange clausterphobia with vehicles and i almost always have my window open. Thats the only issue i have with it, something left over from iraq, but its wierd. and they keep the rain out :)

they also hide the fact that your windows are open/cracked in the summer for prying eyes when you leave it parked.

I dont smoke

13. Oct 5, 2013 at 12:44 AM
    SWCCBEE

SWCCBEE So Cal Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Santa Rita, GU
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner, SR5, TRD Sport
    WeatherTech floor liners, In process of Debadge, Leveling kit, Tires, Limo tint, Custom TRD SPORT Decal, "ImMrYo" Rear view lifting bar, Ultra gauge, relocated horn.
    Haha!! Nah, I was a Seabee, but I cross rated. No where near the Cable. almost 14 years in and never been on a ship!!

You?

14. Oct 5, 2013 at 6:37 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    I've always thought bug deflectors looked kind of silly. That said the last 2 trucks I have bought had them installed when I got them. And they really did protect the paint quite well so I left them on. And the OE one on my 05 actually doesn't look too bad. Window deflectors are something I usually put on my trucks myself. It's nice leaving the windows cracked on hot summer days without fear of soaking the interior if it rains.

15. Oct 5, 2013 at 6:49 AM
    Echodawg

Echodawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Fremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR DCSB
    Stuff and Things!
    Rain = yes, bug = no.

16. Oct 5, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    This. I have the Weathertech in channels myself. But any in channel will do, as long as you don't get stick on ones you can't go wrong.

17. Oct 5, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    ajw1986

ajw1986 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Pitt Meadows, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    06 Money Pit
    Same scenario here, I don't smoke but I like fresh air in my truck. On cold days I'll even have my window cracked with the heat on

18. Oct 5, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    Frogging

Frogging Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DEREK
    ORLANDO, FL
    Vehicle:
    DCLB 4.0 2wd
    ASV vent visors LED tailgate brake light Weathertech floor mats Wish list:Maxtrac Spindles New leaf pack Extended rear shocks Braided Brake lines Konig countersteer Anodized bronze 285/70/18 tires NST Crank lite pulley setup XTP intake manifold spacer Neoprene seat covers Fiberglass fenders Power sliding rear window 1" Spacers for rear wheels
    i have the AVS vent visors on my tacoma currently and also had them on my ranger. it keeps the car MUCH cooler in the summer by allowing me to crack the window without anyone seeing the windows down. My ranger had the in channel for 10 years with no problems. HAD to have them on the tacoma (in Channel again, much cleaner look)... first mod on it

19. Oct 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    Hugh Morron

Hugh Morron Manic Mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB SR5 4X4 Barcelona Red Metallic
    ARE Cap, AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Ventshades, DTRL delete, ABS/VSC/TRAC disable, Toyota LSD with clutchpacks, N-Fab Lightbar, Hella 700ff lights
    I have the AVS Bugdeflector II and the AVS Ventshades. The bug shields I had on previous trucks worked great. You could see the bugs at night fly over the roof as you are driving. I am less than crazy about the AVS model as I seem to be getting alot of bug splatters on my windshield and not just the huge bugs but small ones too. The ventshades are awesome. Mine are exterior one put on with double sided tape. I have also used these in the past and as long as you clean the paint before you put them on(use alcohol) and you cannot get them back off without breaking them. I also tried one of those hood protectors(Aeroskin) and they are junk. They only protect the area they cover which is 3" across the edge of your hood.

20. Oct 5, 2013 at 7:40 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Assuming tinted windows.... one reason to tint is for privacy and to conceal contents.
    Not sure if it impacts all years and configurations or not, but all you need to do to unlock the door on my RC is pull the interior door handle... that can be done through a 1/2" gap with some creativity.

Products Discussed in

To Top