Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New to TW, stereo question...

Old 03-10-2009, 04:48 AM   #1
RockDoc is on a distinguished road
RockDoc's Tacoma Gallery
New to TW, stereo question...

Hi everyone, I'm new to TW, but this is my second Toyota (first was a '95 4Runner 4x4, solid vehicle w/175k, and no major problems). My 09 tacoma (have had for about 3 weeks) has a stereo problem. While driving, especially on a bumpy road, the stereo will turn off and/or the face light will turn on and off. Not too good w/ stereos but this sounds like an electrical problem. Also, I have the six speakers w/ a subwoofer, shouldnt I have a JBL stereo head, because I don't? Kinda bought the vehicle in a hurry and didnt get too caught up w/ details like that since I needed it for work. I would just go to a dealership, but I don't have time for them to take my truck away for 1/2 a day or more; I guess I might have to wait 'till I'm home. Just wanted some feedback, anything will help...thanks!

btw, really happy so far w/ the 09. Its covered in mud with paper plates, how many of you can say that ;^) Great site you have here, but it makes me paranoid while driving, constantly listening for problems i've read on here!
Old 03-10-2009, 05:00 AM   #2
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
You have the upgraded stereo that is available for about $100 but not the JBL system. Many of us have been having trouble with the stock stereo system, mainly finding the volume knob only works intermittently. I'd take it in for warranty repalcement. My unit has been working pretty much OK but is going to be replaced with an aftermarket unit that has better sensitivity along with the speakers.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
RockDoc's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for clearing that up, but this pisses me off. Why the Hell should I need to deal w/ this problem on a brand new 30k vehicle? Dealers fault? I agree the quality control is slipping...
Old 03-10-2009, 07:34 AM   #5
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW! yeah it sounds like you should call your dealer and talk to them about it. They should just replace it and you will be good.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:42 AM   #6
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW Don't spend too much time listening for problems, if you find one take it to the dealer and let them sort it out, otherwise just enjoy the ride Oh, and how bumpy are the roads you are driving on? Are they bad dirt roads or poor asphalt?
Old 03-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #7
gonzo6up has a spectacular aura aboutgonzo6up has a spectacular aura about

gonzo6up's Tacoma Gallery
i have the volume knob issue on my 09 and i'm getting it checked out at the dealer along with the rear spring tsb. I have never been to fond of toyota factory stereos. But on the bright side that is the only complaint i have for now out of all my tacomas
Old 03-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #8
RockDoc's Tacoma Gallery
The roads are poor ashpalt and some bumpy/muddy access roads. I'm actually in your neck of the woods near Longview, WA right now, so the roads are probably as bad as they are in Spokane! Yeah, if this is the only thing I can initially complain about, its not a very big deal; I just expected the standards to be set high on Toyota, which is why I bought another one without even wasting my time with GM, Ford, or Dodge
Old 03-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
The roads are poor ashpalt and some bumpy/muddy access roads. I'm actually in your neck of the woods near Longview, WA right now, so the roads are probably as bad as they are in Spokane! Yeah, if this is the only thing I can initially complain about, its not a very big deal; I just expected the standards to be set high on Toyota, which is why I bought another one without even wasting my time with GM, Ford, or Dodge

Haha yea the roads here suck butt!! If the stereo is the only major problem that is good compared to the domestics. However I agree with you that I hold Toyota to a higher standard than the domestics with regards to quality fit and finish. Good luck getting that taken care of and let us know how it goes for you