1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering wobble/shimmy intermittent

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Litaker, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Oct 7, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    Litaker

Litaker [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4x4 Manual 2.7L
    2010 toyata tacoma access cab 4x4, 6 lug with new tires stock size and stock steel rims, 3 balances, using hub and lug centric balance and roadforce, - having front end shake and steering wheel wobble at 20-70 mph intermittently. Truck has 12500 miles and has been serviced by the book. slight click when free turning left wheel, but almost unaudible. No wobble with front end raised in wheel at 12 and 6, 9 and 3, or in tierods. unsure if its a wheel bearing, defective rims? I'm at a loss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. Oct 16, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    livnlrn

livnlrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Elkton, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD double cab
    Im having the same problem except mine starts @ 45 to 60mph then stops. just had an alignment & everything was good. Cant figure this out :confused::confused:

3. Oct 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    Litaker

Litaker [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4x4 Manual 2.7L
    An alignment with the camber off or nearly out of spec can cause this. Check your lugnut torque, as under and over torquing can cause a wobble and is common. Also, a rebalance on the tires can cure that along with rotations. Never rotate without balancing. If traditional dynamic spin balance from the hub doesnt fix it, then a dynamic lug-centric balance should cure it. Never a static balance. If you still have vibration, a road force balance can help. In my case, I had 4 defective rims that were out of spec from the getgo. I purchased rims off a 2012 Tacoma (same style and design) and my wobble is gone. Toyota likes to blame any steering wobble on the tires. I believe there are more out of spec rims out there, but doubt toyota will ever own up to it. If your problem persists, there are two service bulletins out to address steering vibration for the Tacoma. Hope this helps. With my background of being a mechanic and tire installer/technician, even I was in disbelief that my new pickup could have 4 out of spec rims, but as with anything automotive, there can always be out of spec and defective parts from the factory.

4. Oct 17, 2013 at 4:01 PM
    Oregon TRD

Oregon TRD "GO DUCKS" Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Steel Panthers bathroom floor!
    Vehicle:
    2005 Mall Krawler
    6" Fabtech Lift, 35" Fierce M/T 17" Eagle Alloy Sim bead locks Naked girls in the bed 10.1" DVD head unit Two 7" Headrest Monitors PS2 in glove box
    Ive been dealing with this shit for 6 years. When I put new tires on....wobble went away. A year later....wobbles back. From 50 to 60 mph it's there. I rotate tires and get an alignment every 2 to 3 months. Still get the wobble.

Hard to ignore, I try to, but it's a pisser. :mad:

5. Feb 8, 2014 at 9:13 AM
    Litaker

Litaker [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4x4 Manual 2.7L
    are you using stock or aftermarket rims, and what kind of tires? any mods?

Products Discussed in

To Top