1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3" pro comp lift

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ajw1986, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Oct 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    ajw1986

ajw1986 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Pitt Meadows, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    06 Money Pit
    I've read some reviews and talked to a member on here who has one about the ride quality. From what I gather the coils they give you are way too stiff. If I bought better coils to go with the lift would it make a big difference? I was just gonna do the billsteins but I want a true 3" lift because I plan on adding an aftermarket bumper in the future. I know this lift is cheaper for a reason, but I am trying to budget due to buying new tires and wheels and would like some more input on this kit.

Thanks guys

2. Oct 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    jr114

jr114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Truck
    Icon Ext travel CO, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Maxtrac Spindles, Icon RR rear w 2"aal.
    Don't go with pro comp. Check out OMEs kits.

I say this with first hand experience. I believe I was one of the first people to install this kit when it came out back in 2008. I hated it. HATED it. Do yourself the favor and learn from my mistake and save yourself money in the long run by lifting your truck right the first time. The shocks themselves suck, so just replacing the springs won't really help. Look at bilstein, OME, icon, fox, whatever. I would just recommend staying away from this kit

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  3. Oct 11, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    When I was looking at lift kits, this is the first one I came across and I thought it wasn't a bad deal. I didn't want to spend too much because I know I wanted to get 32s or 33s. That was before I would stay up late every night researching TW for reviews on this kit. Some people have had success with it, other people hated it like the member above me. I have a friend who had a ProComp lift kit on his first gen, took it off and sold it to buy a toytec lift. He is much happier with the Totytec but now wants to go to OME or Icons/Fox.

I went with OME just so I didn't waste time and money on the Pro Comp to end up getting rid of it like my friend did. Could not be happier with the OME kit.

Here is a guide to everything Lift Kit related when looking to lift your truck:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/11282-tacoma-lift-faq-guide-read.html

Here is a review of ProComp vs 5100s:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/184434-pros-cons-pro-comp-5100s.html

Here is a massive thread on everything OME:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/258245-old-man-emu-questions-answers-pictures.html

Finally, here is my experience with the installation of the OME kit should you choose that route:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/293161-ome-kit-finally-installed.html

Rides AWESOME!! I would buy OME if I had to do it again.

Hope this helps.

4. Oct 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    anotherreject

anotherreject Well-Known Member

Member:
    The general vibe around the interweb is anything pro comp sucks

5. Oct 11, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    ajw1986

ajw1986 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Pitt Meadows, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    06 Money Pit
    Thanks for compiling all this information and thanks to everyone else. I guess i'll just go with either the billy toytec coilover setup or OME. Saw the price of the pro comp and got excited

6. Oct 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    "Saw the price of the pro comp and got excited"

that's how they lure you in....:spy:

Products Discussed in

To Top