Notices

Anybody seen this before????

Old 10-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #21
SAXD Taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
SAXD Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
I wouldn't try and hide it if I did it....obviously that frame was about to break anyway. Better on the lift than on the highway.
Very true about it happening on the lift than on the highway. I was just joking about the service tech trying to cover it up with duck tape. But man would that be a sight to see. I imagine it was probably a little humorous an a lot of WTF!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #22
savedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gerald
savedone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
should have told the man no?
No that would be wrong. He insisted so he took the responsibility.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #23
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by savedone View Post
No that would be wrong. He insisted so he took the responsibility.
Good thing he didn't insist you fill the engine with gear lube.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #24
deog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud of
Name: snicklefritz
deog's Tacoma Gallery
Prime example of serious droop travel.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #26
savedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Good thing he didn't insist you fill the engine with gear lube.
Actually I have done that. Remember the engines were a lot different back then. Also many things back then were different. You did what the custumer asked for. The customer's wishes were respected, unlike today. I once put 16 inch inner tubes into four 15 inch new tires at the customers request.

There are many other stories, but we respected the customers wishes regardless of the outcome. Some of those old timers had strange ways and we respected their wishes. I had one customer who we referred to as "top-em off," behind his back of course. He would drive to the station and tell us to top it off, his gas tank, and then drive home, and then back to the station to top it off again. I don't think I ever put more then .30 cents into his tank, but that was his way so we respected his wishes.
I had another that had us change the air in his tires twice a year. We just gave them the service they asked for since they were paying the bill.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #27
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Things must've been very different at that shop. I'll leave it at that.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Things must've been very different at that shop. I'll leave it at that.
Actually it was the people who were different. Respect for one another. Their wishes were respected by all the business community even if their ways seemed strange. It was about respect.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #29
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygreaser View Post
your 02 tundra did that also. Toyota this past spring gave it a new frame at 100k, I could put my hand though some of the holes yet the body was still mint, my daughters 98 forunner with 300k is perfect still ,but our 2011 taco with 21k is already rusting at every welded and riveted bracket with spots of rust pockets lifting under the paint, some pretty bad on riveted brackets ,what's with the made in the usa frames ?
I don't understand why people don't oil or fluid film their frames. I'm in socal but spray mine. Not a spot of rust anywhere.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #30
I've just had an apostrophe.
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
I don't understand why people don't oil or fluid film their frames. I'm in socal but spray mine. Not a spot of rust anywhere.
Realistically, if it's designed and built correctly, you shouldn't have to. My parents have an '85 Dodge W250 for a farm truck, that has lived its entire life in Maine. LOTS of salt on the roads around here. They've never undercoated it once, and the frame is still rock solid. Hell, even the galvanized body panels are still solid as can be (and since it's an 80's Dodge they haven't had any paint on them in probably 15 years).
On the other hand, my '93 Grand Cherokee, 94 Cherokee, '94 Nissan Hardbody, '96 Hardbody, 96 Cherokee, '99 Frontier, and '99 Tacoma ALL have developed frame cancer, despite being undercoated regularly the entire time I owned them.
And my '99 was originally from Arizona...
Old 10-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #31
Trucker
503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
503TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Actually I have done that. Remember the engines were a lot different back then. Also many things back then were different. You did what the custumer asked for. The customer's wishes were respected, unlike today. I once put 16 inch inner tubes into four 15 inch new tires at the customers request.

There are many other stories, but we respected the customers wishes regardless of the outcome. Some of those old timers had strange ways and we respected their wishes. I had one customer who we referred to as "top-em off," behind his back of course. He would drive to the station and tell us to top it off, his gas tank, and then drive home, and then back to the station to top it off again. I don't think I ever put more then .30 cents into his tank, but that was his way so we respected his wishes.
I had another that had us change the air in his tires twice a year. We just gave them the service they asked for since they were paying the bill.

Dude I'm sorry but are you on the same planet as us?? You got some strange ass stories..w/ strange customers....no disrespect to you just sayin
Old 10-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #32
Nfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Nfurtado77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
I know right... luckly I oil my frame with motorcycly chain lube. That shit doesn't cone off anything.
Hey surgie what aal do you have a like your lift height. Are those tires 265/70/17.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #33
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Actually it was the people who were different. Respect for one another. Their wishes were respected by all the business community even if their ways seemed strange. It was about respect.
That's an odd form of respect.

To me, respect for customers means not performing service that has a high risk of damage, like lifting a fully loaded truck. Someone wants their oil changed at 1000 miles, even after they've been told there's no reason to do so? I'd respect their wishes because the only harm is to their budget. Someone wants me to dump gear lube in an engine or patch a sidewall? Not a chance. There's something to be said for mutual respect, too. If a customer doesn't value a professional opinion about a risky procedure, they don't have much respect for the mechanic, IMO.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #34
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelie84 View Post
Realistically, if it's designed and built correctly, you shouldn't have to. My parents have an '85 Dodge W250 for a farm truck, that has lived its entire life in Maine. LOTS of salt on the roads around here. They've never undercoated it once, and the frame is still rock solid. Hell, even the galvanized body panels are still solid as can be (and since it's an 80's Dodge they haven't had any paint on them in probably 15 years).
On the other hand, my '93 Grand Cherokee, 94 Cherokee, '94 Nissan Hardbody, '96 Hardbody, 96 Cherokee, '99 Frontier, and '99 Tacoma ALL have developed frame cancer, despite being undercoated regularly the entire time I owned them.
And my '99 was originally from Arizona...
I think its an upkeep issue. When I lived in oklahoma and they were salting the roads I would wash my undercarage once a week. Yeah it sucks to do the in cold weather but its worth it. I didnt coat it but didnt have any rust issues. Frames arnt made like they used to be, they have to be maintained whereever it is. I use the cheap motorcycle chain lube from walmart on my frame. That shit doesn't come off without a solvent.

@ Nufurtado I have the tsb pack with a tsb aal from toytec. Rides real nice and can hold a lot
Old 10-12-2013, 04:17 AM   #35

Quote:
That's an odd form of respect.

To me, respect for customers means not performing service that has a high risk of damage, like lifting a fully loaded truck. Someone wants their oil changed at 1000 miles, even after they've been told there's no reason to do so? I'd respect their wishes because the only harm is to their budget. Someone wants me to dump gear lube in an engine or patch a sidewall? Not a chance. There's something to be said for mutual respect, too. If a customer doesn't value a professional opinion about a risky procedure, they don't have much respect for the mechanic, IMO.
Like I said things have changed a lot in the last 50 years. Not everyone comes for professional advice. Some just want things done the way they say and we respected that. What is being called respect today is actually a form of dictatorial rule which wants to tell the other feller what is best for them. People who want to rule others. We are seeing this from our government today as well as individuals. We simply respected the customers wishes as it was his money and his vehicle and yes I know that seems strange today.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 503TRD View Post
Dude I'm sorry but are you on the same planet as us?? You got some strange ass stories..w/ strange customers....no disrespect to you just sayin
Yes I know that those seem strange, but I assure you there are the same strange people today, and if you interact with them on a personal bases like we did back then you see and hear a lot of different things.