1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

question about tire pressure

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ajw1986, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Oct 12, 2013 at 8:28 AM
    ajw1986

ajw1986 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Pitt Meadows, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    06 Money Pit
    My tires say max 70 PSI. I've been running them at 60, is this bad? Should I be running them at full PSI? Or even less than 60?

2. Oct 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    nut

nut she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    you should be running them at 32psi or whatever it says on your door.

3. Oct 12, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    :eek:

60psi?? Did your kidneys fall out yet?

Look on your door jam...I think the recommended is like 29psi. I run around 32psi....

Aside from the kidney part ...LOL 60psi can't be good for proper and long tire life/wear.

4. Oct 12, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    That's crazy to run that high :eek: Read the owner's manual or check the driver's door jam.

5. Oct 12, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
  6. Oct 12, 2013 at 8:51 AM
    Buckoma

Buckoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    Pay no mind to what the door or owners manual say and put them at whatever you want to achieve your desired comfort, mileage, and needs. Running a 60 max tire at 50psi won't hurt it but I wouldn't go lower than 35-40 for everyday use because it's obviously a heavy duty LT tire and designed for higher than average pressure. I second the chalk test as a good rule of thumb.

7. Oct 12, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    +1 I run heavy duty LTs at 50 psi based on my tire guy's advice. Otherwise they'd really bring my MPGs down. My P rated winter Blizzaks "chalked out" between 36 & 38 psi.

:wave: Hi Chris. :eek: :)

EDIT: I air down the LTs for any real off-road use...then air back up.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  8. Oct 12, 2013 at 9:18 AM
    TxFireman

TxFireman Factory Pilot

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC-SB TRD-OR, tow package, entune/nav
    That should be fine. Remember too that max tire pressure is set for tires that are at normal cool temp, not warm/hot from driving. Door jamb pressures are likely just for what tires come on the truck, so if you have different tires, etc, that likely doesn't even apply anymore.

My wifes 285's have a 60psi max, and I run them at 50-55 max.

9. Oct 12, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    rickcrna

rickcrna Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 AC SR5 4WD I4 Auto MGM
    I fail to see the logic in this statement....perhaps there is no logic. The recommended tire pressures found on the door jam or owner's manual apply to the majority of tires likely to be used on the vehicle. Certainly it makes sense to adjust these recommended pressures slightly according to conditions, preferences, comfort, etc.

I have NEVER, EVER seen published any recommendations to use the maximum pressure listed on the tire sidewall as a reference point. Only imbeciles and morons would over inflate their tires to be close to the maximum pressure on the sidewall.

10. Oct 12, 2013 at 10:05 AM
    MajKong

MajKong Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2008 4X4 Access Cab 4cyl
    Seatbelt Buzzer turned off, Bed Mat, Illuminated 4X4 switch, Intermittent Wipers, Fumoto drain valve, LCE header, fog lights
    This is good advice. The MAX pressure listed on the sidewall is what the manufacturer says is safe for the tire.

Now I have to add rickcrna to my ignore list!

11. Oct 12, 2013 at 10:19 AM
    ecr6cyl10

ecr6cyl10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    10 Prerunner Dble Cab Offorad
    Defiant Light bar with 12" LED light bar and 2 Rigid dually floods. 3" Icon lift in the front with TC UCA's and 1.5" add a leaf in the rear [url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/198098/cat/500][img]http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/medium/My_Truck54.jpg[/img][/url]
    Everything depends on the load rating. The trucks come stock with a p rated tires and most guys run Load Rated "D" or "E" for after market tires. Based on the load rating charts at discount tire unless you are pulling a trailer your tires will give you the best ride at around 35psi. I have 285/75/16 LR-D and I run them at 32 works great and run them at 20 offroad.

12. Oct 12, 2013 at 10:20 AM
    ecr6cyl10

ecr6cyl10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    10 Prerunner Dble Cab Offorad
    Defiant Light bar with 12" LED light bar and 2 Rigid dually floods. 3" Icon lift in the front with TC UCA's and 1.5" add a leaf in the rear [url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/198098/cat/500][img]http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/medium/My_Truck54.jpg[/img][/url]
    Max pressure of the tires is how much it will hold for max lbs

13. Oct 12, 2013 at 10:22 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Search "Chalk Test" ;)

14. Oct 12, 2013 at 10:53 AM
    Buckoma

Buckoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    If you want to blindly and obediently follow whatever a sticker on a door says then have at it. Some people like to use their brain to determine their own needs and desires.

I have LT's that are rated at 50psi max. I run them at 40 or 45 depending on my mood and air down to 18 when wheeling. I have reasons for choosing an LT tire and keeping it at those higher pressures.

15. Oct 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    TxFireman

TxFireman Factory Pilot

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC-SB TRD-OR, tow package, entune/nav
    There not "over inflated" until you've surpassed the pressure, or unless you're vehicle weight isn't enough to make good contact at that psi.

This imbecile has perfectly flat wear on all tires, on all 5 of my four wheel drives. My newest tires, minus the taco, are around 3 years old. I don't replace tires with the junk that comes stock. Maybe you do, but I run different load ratings. My wifes 285's are the only set that have a max of 60, and the 50 psi range is what seems to be working best with them.

I could also say that only an imbecile would run well under, and create the heat and friction needlessly. However, when you start ponying up the money for my tires, I'll run whatever pressure you would like me to. ;)

16. Oct 12, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    chunt5

chunt5 Senior Citizen Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chuck
    Cumming, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB, Prerunner, SR5, 4.0
    A co-worker of mine had an oil change at a tire dealer. The tires that we had on our company vans had a max pressure of 60 PSI. The door sticker was 35 PSI. The service tech at the tire dealer told him he should be running 60 PSI in his tires because of the load that he carried and put that much pressure in them. Two days later a tire blew and he had a bad wreck. That was almost 20 years ago and he is still on disability. I had the same van and tires and always ran 35 PSI with no issues. Caution should be exercised when running the tires close to max.

17. Oct 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    You evidently do not have stock tires. The recommended tire pressure on the door panel is for stock tires, not C or D rated tires. Follow the tire recommendation, not the door recommendation. Too low of tire inflation causes too much side wall flex, the tire to over heat, and a possible tire failure. Follow what the tire says. By the way 60 is within the range of a 70 Max tire, but 32 to 35 is not. Always check and inflate tires when they are cold (before they have been driven any distance).

18. Oct 12, 2013 at 1:00 PM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    I used to be in the tire business. The reason that tire blew was because it had been run previously at too low a pressure and the tire was damaged from the heat that was generated. When the proper pressure was added the tire no longer could handle it because of prior damage. Max Tire ratings are not where the tire blows. Under federal law they have to be able to far exceed the max pressure marked on the tire. Most can handle a pressure nearly double the rating although it is not recommended to drive on them like that and if they have ever been grossly over inflated or under inflated they need to be replaced.

Tire ratings are where the tire preforms properly with the least amount of heat generated under proper load ranges. Too much Under or over inflation can cause the tire to break down internally and separate and or break the internal belts or cords. All street tires should be run within 5 Pounds of their recommended Max pressure for HYW use to insure safety depending on load. No load 5 under is fine. Heavy load max tire pressure. Over loaded 5 over will work, but it is never recommended to overload in weight a tire max load range.
    Personally I always cold air my tires to the max plus as much as 5 on the front and the max on the rear even without a load. I have NEVER had a problem. In the summer sometimes I back that off because of Texas heat, but I never run them below 32, cold aired, on the HWY and they are rated a max 35 cold aired.

If you do off road and under inflate your tires for traction you should NEVER run those tires on the road again as they have been subjected to internal damage by the under inflation. Yes you may get away with it, but you may not also and the consequences could last a lifetime. You should have two sets. One for off road and one for HWY if you under inflate your tires for off road.

As for chalking tires I would not recommend it for HWY use if you are after safety and if the chalking puts you outside the parameters of the tire manufacturer recommended pressure. The manufacture of the tire does not say to chalk the tire for proper inflation. They give a tire pressure for the tire so I suggest it be followed within 5 pounds. Chalking will violate the warranty if you end up outside the recommended tire pressure.

If you have any questions about a particular tire and how low or how high you can inflate and remain safe and under warranty you should contact the tire manufacturer not the car dealer.

19. Oct 12, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    +1

Navy tests at Pax River determined that the speed at which hydroplaning will begin is directly proportional to the inflation pressure. This is without regard to fancy tread patterns... they help very little. All that matters is that the tread depth is less than the depth of the water (any tire will hydroplane once the water is deeper than the tread).

"Speed (in knots) = 9 X the square root of the tire pressure (in psi.)"
    "Speed (in mph) = 10.4 X the square root of the tire pressure (in psi.)"

28psi = 55mph
    32psi = 59mph
    50psi = 74mph

Higher PSI, contrary to the myth, actually improves wet traction.

Door sticker inflation recommendations apply:
    A - To the OEM tires only
    B - Are a compromise between ride comfort, performance, tire life, and fuel economy.

20. Oct 12, 2013 at 3:04 PM
    Canazes9

Canazes9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 Dbl Cab TRD Sport / '12 Dbl Cab Offroad
    LT tires are not P metric tires. Pressure requirements are different.

Read: David

Products Discussed in

To Top