1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check Engine light and traction light.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by YankeePirate, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Oct 13, 2013 at 3:38 AM
    YankeePirate

YankeePirate [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lef
    Farmville, VA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5
    3" Lift (Bilstein 5100s, OME 886s, Deaver U402 leaf springs) , KMC 18" Addict wheels, BFG All Terrain T/A Tires, Demello Off-road front and custom rear bumpers, winch, Satoshi Grille. That's it... for now.
    Ok, so yesterday I started her up and the check engine light and traction light came on and stayed on. She feels weird too. Lots of vibration, especially at lower idle, loss of power, lots of vibration in the gear shift. (She is a manual). Normally I would mutter a curse and take her to the dealer (a 2011 she SHOULD still be under warranty) but...

I am in Germany. I took her to a Toyota dealer here for an oil change and they looked at her like I landed a space ship in their parking lot.

Any ideas on what it could be or how best to tackle the international issue?

(Ideas that suggest that this won't be expensive of painful are especially welcome)

In the spirit of complete and total honesty, I am a bit annoyed that I am already having this kind of trouble. She is a 2011... with less than 15K miles.

2. Oct 13, 2013 at 4:13 AM
    Ghost848

Ghost848 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    OME + Dakers, 285/75R16 Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bumper, Columbia overland Dual battery, Super winch,CC stage 4 clutch, bestop supertop, URD TO bearing, BHLM headlights, Cruisin offroad rear bumper, Harrop front E-locker.
    Maybe pick up a code read from your local auto store. Since you have a spaceship and all maybe it will be a worthy investment.:)

3. Oct 13, 2013 at 4:14 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Order something that can read codes(UltraGauge, specific code computer)...Or maybe check out a hobby shop on base for one? Cause the code will narrow it down very quickly...

4. Oct 13, 2013 at 4:30 AM
    slowmachine

slowmachine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alton, NH
    As strange as the Tacoma may look on the outside, the mechanicals should look very familiar to the German dealer service techs. The components are the same, or very similar to, various Toyata models sold around the world. I don't know if their Techstream software is region-specific, but the majority of the diagnostics are OBD II, which is the same everywhere. They should be able to help.

Mike

5. Oct 13, 2013 at 5:17 AM
    Greenpants

Greenpants Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 Tacoma 4 banger
    The tailgate mod
    Hi,
    I just had the same thing happen to me last week. Both of those lights went on at the same time. Went to my local shop. Turns out both of those dash light are on the same circuit. If the check light comes on so does the traction light. They read my code & the oxy sensor on bay 1 was dead. They put in a new one & reset my idot lights. The real bad news was a cost of $300.00 ! Two & change for the part & the bal in labor.

greenpants....mike

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  6. Oct 13, 2013 at 5:18 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    I had a Dodge when I was stationed there and the German Dodge dealerships honored warranties. I would think/hope Toyota would as well. Try a different dealership. Might be worth a trip up to Kaiserslautern where they cater to military folks more.

7. Oct 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM
    smd3

smd3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    spark plug or coil pack, sounds like a pretty classic case of a cylinder not firing.

Source: I've owned a lot of VWs. ;)

If you pull the plugs, one should be be pretty obviously fouled by this point. It could still be a bad plug or coil pack, but that should help you figure out which cylinder it is. (I bet with the p/n the Toy dealership there could get one, I'm sure it's something they use globally)

Reinstall any new plugs with a dab of anti-seize on the threads, and don't over-torque them.

Products Discussed in

To Top