Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

5th gear on my automatic

Old 09-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
tucsontoast is on a distinguished road
tucsontoast's Tacoma Gallery
5th gear on my automatic

Hey, all!
First of all, I love my YOCA, but I have two gripes and am wondering if anyone has any info for me. I have the 5 speed auto 2007 4.0 PreRun2wd 4dr with just over 6000 miles . It shifts great 1st through 4th but when it kicks into 5th (at say, normal cruising speed, not under hard acceleration) it feels clunky or sloppy, not tight. This really makes it feel kinda junky to me, like there's slop in the driveline or the rear end, but I'm thinking it's just because it's more of a cruising gear, and much higher so it's more noticeable. I don't beat my truck. Anyone else notice this?
Second, I don't like the "shaky" feel of the suspension when I hit a small pothole or small road ruts, for instance, when I hit a certain bump in my neighborhood the truck is pulled hard to the side of the pothole, and if I was to overcorrect, it would be a problem, however, my 95 Ford 3/4 ton 2wd hits the same bump and doesn't swerve at all, and neither does my wife's 99nissan altima.The truck feels "light and out of touch" with the road in bumpier situations. Anyway, I'm thinking a suspension upgrade from the factory bilstein setup would do the trick and looking for suggestions. I'll add that I want to lift the truck about 3 inches (not including larger tires) but hoping not to spend a mint doing it. Six hundred or less? Do-able?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Old 09-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsontoast View Post
It shifts great 1st through 4th but when it kicks into 5th (at say, normal cruising speed, not under hard acceleration) it feels clunky or sloppy, not tight.
Your 5th is your "over drive" gear hence it has no balls . If you like "tight" (we all do), shift your gear to 4th and leave it there till you are ready for something loose. But dont complain that your truck is thirsty for gas. Switch between 4th and 5th as you deem fit.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:04 PM   #3
Thanks for the response, but it wasn't a complaint so much as a query as to whether this is "normal" or something I should be concerned about and have addressed by my dealer. Maybe you noticed my comment that I figured it was the taller "overdrive" gear, but just wanted a general consensus. Didn't want to find out later that my truck had a "characteristic" not typical of the Tacoma.
Like the quote.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:53 AM   #4
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsontoast View Post
it wasn't a complaint so much as a query as to whether this is "normal" or something I should be concerned about...
Its normal. Nothing to worry about. Get used to switching between 4th and 5th and you'll love it.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
Right on. I was just following the owner's manual too carefully I guess. I was actually messin' with the 3 through 5 gear range off road the other day and it was a blast! Thanks!
Old 09-17-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
Bluestreak is on a distinguished road

Bluestreak's Tacoma Gallery
mine is fine in 5th, matter of fact i run in d all the time, when i need power just punch it, no clunk, just get up and go. really mine works fine all the way around, i live on a bumpy curvy road and it handles great, i can go slow in drive, fast in drive, i can use my gears for performance driving (late for dinner) but really all is good and tight.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:24 PM   #7
I run in D all the time too, but when I'm light on the pedal and the truck is just going through the gears casually, when it gets to fifth there's a slight noticeable loose transition. It doesn't happen every time, but enough to where I'm concerned.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #8
CharlieX is on a distinguished road
CharlieX's Tacoma Gallery
I get that sorta clunky switch to 5th too in light city driving. Often my 07 holds onto 4th for 10 to 15 seconds after I've locked in a cruising speed of say 45, and then decides its time to drop into 5th reluctantly. but up on the highway it's smooth as a whistle.

but you shouldn't have any shaking problems. mine rides beautiful at all speeds (well, when you get around 80mph, it's a little bit of a wild ride compared to my girl's lexus IS250... but it's a truck, not a sports car)
Old 11-05-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
LAOTION IN 4 WHEEL MOTION
TCTACOSURPREME will become famous soon enough

TCTACOSURPREME's Tacoma Gallery
do any of you guys have problems goin up a slight incline, like a bogging feeling around 40-50mph? thats normal too right?
Old 11-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #11
LAOTION IN 4 WHEEL MOTION
TCTACOSURPREME will become famous soon enough

TCTACOSURPREME's Tacoma Gallery
thanks luk, just need some reassurance that i aint having tranny problems or air problems. If its normal then i don't have to worry about it. Just a pain when goin on a slight incline i gotta shift to 4 and it goes up fine. yeah i used to live up in new iberia before i moved up here. i wouldn't have any bogging in LA.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #12
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 09, and don't notice bad shifting from 4th to 5th. However, I do notice that at really low coasting speeds that it really kicks from 1st to 2nd. Almost like it's shifting late and trying to comensate. It usually happens when I do a "rolling stop" at a stop sign.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #13
TacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to beholdTacoTycoon is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
TacoTycoon's Tacoma Gallery
Hey toytec offers a 3 in lift, since you have the DC I would suggest the 885 coil and rear AAL package. As for shocks the 5100 bilstein's appear to have a great rep all around