1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

suggestions for lower mileage leaf springs...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by prjctTACO, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Oct 14, 2013 at 9:46 PM
    prjctTACO

prjctTACO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    05 pre-runner AC trd
    Ladder Rack
    I just picked up a low mileage 3/1 oem leaf spring, still has an arch to them. Currently riding on flatass 2/1 springs. Its my work truck, with a ladder rack and few hundred lbs. of tools all day long. I chose the oem leafs to try and stay close to stock height as possible.

Please help me decide if I should go with
    -3/1 oem leafs w/ hellwigs 981's
    -3/1 oem leafs w/ firestone airbags
    -3/1 oem leafs w/ AAL. (not sure which one to get)

Please advise, as I'm clueless with all these options. I've searched and searched, and every thread with a install have all positive feedback.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  2. Oct 15, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    prjctTACO

Member:
    bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    05 pre-runner AC trd
    Ladder Rack
    thoughts???

3. Oct 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    slowmachine

slowmachine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alton, NH
    Why not start out with just the 3/1 springs? You may not need anything else.

Mike

4. Oct 15, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    prjctTACO

Member:
    bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    05 pre-runner AC trd
    Ladder Rack
    I've read they cant carry a heavy load. I was thinking the additional parts, were to help prolong the life of the leaf spring, and help with the squating.

5. Oct 15, 2013 at 10:09 AM
    slowmachine

slowmachine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alton, NH
    If they won't handle the load, my first call would be to these guys:

http://www.nationalsprings.com

They are just east of San Diego, which I know isn't exactly in your neighborhood.

Add-a-leafs and helper springs are supposed to be a less-expensive path to higher-load springs, but I don't think they really measure-up. Opinions vary on this. Some folks are happy with them. I don't know anyone who has bought Tacoma springs from National, but they are highly respected among the leaf spring Jeep crowd.

There may be other shops closer to you that can do the same thing. I have bought from Betts Spring (http://www.bettsspring.com) in NorCal, but only coils.

Mike

6. Oct 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM
    PatDig

PatDig Member

Member:
    Belmont NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4 SR5
    Camper Shell... I just bought it! 48k miles
    I have a 2006 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 with a Leer Topper along with the non TSb springs and they were terrible. The truck would bottom out over small bumps in the road etc. I bought the 1.5" AAL from wheelers off-road and my truck absolutely handles better, and carries loads better. However, there site stated it may be less than 1.5" of lift for the Double Cabs, but the back of my truck sat 3" higher than the front after i installed the springs (was level before). Now after about 3k miles it sits at around 2" higher than the front. That said I like the way it looks with the back a little higher than the front, and after loading it FULL of green firewood the other day (think #1,000 at least) it handled the load perfectly and didnt squat very much. Has the work truck stance.

7. Oct 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    prjctTACO

Member:
    bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    05 pre-runner AC trd
    Ladder Rack
    Thats the reason i didnt want to go with aftermarket leafs. I didnt want the ass high in the air.

8. Oct 16, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    talisker

talisker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off Road SR-5 W/1 Ton wood pellets
    Firestone Ride Rite airbags
    I have the 2/1 junk springs. I've got one side that is flat as hell. The other side is fine. The truck sits crooked. I tried changing out the second leaf on the bad side. It helped but didn't completely solve the problem because once I had it apart I realized the main leaf is also weak. I'm going with the Firestone airbags and I'm going to worry about finding springs another day. I realize my situation isn't quite the same as yours but I would not go with the AAL. I'd stick with the 3/1 as long as they are an even pair and do the airbags if I were you.

9. Oct 16, 2013 at 11:44 PM
    prjctTACO

Member:
    bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    05 pre-runner AC trd
    Ladder Rack
    I've noticed that my bed is a bit crooked also. Hopefully the 3/1 will fix this problem. I've decided to go with the firestone airbags, as it seems i have more adjustability.

10. Oct 18, 2013 at 7:36 AM
    talisker

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Now I've found that this is called the "Tacoma Lean" Everyone on this forum talks about how the left side of the truck sits lower than the right due to the gas tank, driver and battery all being located on the left. What kind of half arse deal is this anyway? I'm not impressed. This problem is driving me crazy. It seems that mine is worse than most. Most everyone is talking about a 1/4" to 1/2" lean to the left. I'm more like 1 1/4". It's bad and looks bad! The drivers rear spring is about worthless. 400lbs in the bed will collapse the left rear to the bumper stop while the right will be 3in away from the stop. When changing the second spring I noticed that the arc seemed to be correct on the one I took out, just a slight flare on the ends. The spring just doesn't have any life left in it. Now that I've swapped out the single leaf I can see that the ends of the primary spring a weak as well, making the swap out that I did a complete waste of time and money.

Springs should be one of the single items that you never have to even think about. This is total BS for any truck and I can't believe Toyota has had this problem for years on end, people have even got a name for the left lean.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  11. Oct 18, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    OMD Chevy leaf mod to the 3/1 leafs and then swap the entire pack in.

12. Oct 19, 2013 at 6:59 AM
    talisker

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    I've clicked the link but it takes me to a home page. I've tried entering chevy leaf mod in search but can't seem to find it. What do I look for?

Thanks

13. Oct 20, 2013 at 1:56 PM
    PatDig

PatDig Member

Member:
    Belmont NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4 SR5
    Camper Shell... I just bought it! 48k miles
    The 3/1 springs are also going to make the back of the truck sit higher than the front. From what I see on the road, most all trucks are like this since they are supposed to be able to carry weight.

14. Oct 20, 2013 at 6:49 PM
    talisker

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Thanks!
    Yes, that looks nice.

I got my firestone airbags installed this weekend. I cannot believe how much better the truck drives with them. No more slapping and flapping around back there. It feels firm and tight and it's smooth. I wouldn't have guessed that I'd get a better ride with them. I also don't have any more tacoma lean. 10lbs in the left and 5lbs in the right and the truck is level. Can't wait to load a ton of wood pellets. I may still get the spring fixed but for now I'm on to other problems. Got a weird bend in my rear bumper. I've got to take it off and see if it can be straightened.

15. Oct 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM
    prjctTACO

Member:
    bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    05 pre-runner AC trd
    Ladder Rack
    Nice!! I just installed my 3/1 leafs and low mileage trd shocks today. Also, installed the airbags, but have yet pump them up. So, far with just the new leafs and shocks its rides nice. Probably got a little under an inch of a lift from the original stuff. The original front shock bushings were shot. The bushings were all mangled up.

Products Discussed in

To Top