1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

bilstein 5100 @ 2.5 vs ome ride quality

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cfish4422, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Oct 16, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    cfish4422

cfish4422 [OP] Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB
    Sounds good, I appreciate it.

2. Oct 16, 2013 at 12:30 PM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    I was going to get the 5100's and set them @ .85 with my stock off road coils. But then after a lot of research I decided to go the 5100's set @ 0 with the OME 883x coils. Wow what a difference !! I am so glad I went that rout. The ride is awesome and I got just the right lift. I only wanted to level the front and only run the 5100's out back.

3. Oct 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM
    Mingecutter

Mingecutter Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Central Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB MGM
    WeatherTech DigitalFit FloorLiners Toyota OEM Bed Mat K&N Drop-In Air Filter Center Console Organizer UltraGauge Pop & Lock Tailgate Undercover Flex Tonneau WickedFlow 13" Muffler WickedFlow Exhaust Tip AntennaX Euro-style shorty antenna Bilstein 5100s, front & rear OME 884x coils Progressive 3-Leaf AAL
    That's great to hear. Same initial thoughts here, except I'd like a bit more lift in the front, so I'm gonna go with OME 884x and billie 5100s all around. Should give me about 2" lift in the front on my DCLB. Wheeler's progressive 3-leaf HD AAL in the back (to maintain a bit of rake as well). I should be good to go with this. I've read nothing but positive reviews on similar setups, and hopefully, I stay away from vibes/alignment issues with only 2" of lift.

4. Oct 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    Yea I think from what you said that you will not be disappointed. I know I was impressed with the out come !!!

5. Oct 16, 2013 at 2:22 PM
    Snake~

Snake~ Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    Autolumination Yellow fog light bulbs, Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, tailgate security mods, TRD skid plate, DeeZee bed mat, Armor Lid tonneau, OEM roof rack, TRD center caps, Satoshi grille, Sockmonkey tailgate decal
    1.75 and .5 spacer equals about 2.5 of lift on the drivers side and 1.75 and .25 spacer equals about 2.25 of lift on the passenger side

6. Oct 16, 2013 at 2:24 PM
    2006TRDSPORT

2006TRDSPORT 2006TRDSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Felton, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4WD
    I have the Bilstein 5100's set at 2.5, great ride for the last 2 yrs. Alignment is great & tire wear is great. No issues

johner357 likes this.
  7. Oct 16, 2013 at 2:41 PM
    Drinknmolson

Drinknmolson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wheat Ridge, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 DCSB sport
    OME!! Done! End of discussion!

Your welcome

8. Oct 16, 2013 at 3:16 PM
    2006TRDSPORT

2006TRDSPORT 2006TRDSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Felton, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4WD
    I have OME shocks in the back, great shocks! I would not be opposed to some OME in the front eventually but for now the Bilstein 5100's have served me well! :)

9. Oct 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM
    PnoyBOS5

PnoyBOS5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 PRERUNNER
    Maxtrac 4'' Spindes -Bilsteins 5100 @ 1.75" - All Pro Expo Leaf Pack - Extended Rear Shocks - PC 5001 wheels - 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs - Debadged -Red emblem - AFE Pro Dry-S Filter
    Bilsteins at 1.75 super smooth.. I want to bump to 2.25 ... Go with 5100's!

10. Oct 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    cfish4422

cfish4422 [OP] Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB
    I am leaning towards the OME 885x with nitro 9000 shocks, but not completely sold yet. The reason I am thinking of going this route is due to not preloading the coils, which in my mind makes me think rougher ride.

TacoFMS is the only one that actually addressed my initial question, which was is there much of a difference in the ride between the two. He stated that in his opinion the billies ride similar to a spacer lift, which I am trying to avoid. I'm sure there are plenty of people here running billies that disagree with that though. For all of you that say the ride with the OME's is so much better, is this referring to when off roading? Or driving down the highway, and all other everyday driving? This truck is my dd, so it will see plenty of highway, it will also see a lot of gravel roads, lease roads, and oil well locations. None of this is too terribly rough, so will going with OME's still give me a significantly better ride for this application?

11. Oct 16, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    Drinknmolson

Drinknmolson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wheat Ridge, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 DCSB sport
    I have not run anything other than stock or OME, there are many reasons most important to me is quality and reputation like toyota OME is proven. I cannot comment on ride quality of billy's i can however tell you that my truck is also a DD i hit highway on ramps hard and fast so i am at 70 by the time i am in traffic and these are clover leaf on ramps the handle is awesome especially for a lifted truck! Sure the ride is more stiff than stock but i want and expect that in a performance suspension. I dont off road as much anymore but when i have the suspension articulates well in the rocks and absorbs the whoops and bumps of logging roads. Overall huge improvement on and off road compared to stock and this is 2 different vehicles, 97 4runner and now 10 DCSB.

I promise you will love OME!

12. Oct 16, 2013 at 8:43 PM
    Tacomamba

Tacomamba Well-Known Member

Member:
    albq
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Edition Black
    Supercharger Roof rack Tube step Entune Tailgate mod ATC Camper OE Skid Plate K/N filter don't need anything else
    Just buy the Baja kit for 1500 from factory. I have the product number and you do not need a vin anymore like you use to before as long as you have the product number.

In addition the Baja setup has coils , add leaf and suspension with reservoir. I love the ride and the ride height. I love the setup even though my mods are minimal on my Baja as I already have it loaded. Even with factory subwoofers. Good enough for me and my awesome family.

Baja Dat.

Watch out for people selling fake suspension kits and call them Baja. They may be Baja style but they definitely are not exactly the tuned and valanced Baja edition suspensions.

13. Dec 13, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    justchil

justchil Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    WV
    Vehicle:
    13 AC TRD OR
    I realize this is a two month old thread but more feedback? Only plus to 5100's = adjustable. I plan on a full 3" lift or very close and it seems the OME's have a better rep.

Wish I could afford to go all out with Icons. PS: Are you guys doing 3" adding a diff drop? I'm seeing mixed feelings about dropping diff's on 2nd gens.

14. Aug 24, 2014 at 6:42 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Going to revive this one...

Decided on OME, but what spring? 4.0 AC with no armor (yet). Ideally I want to do the front before the back. I have Ride Rites and no TSB (yet) in back. Will 884s give me bro lean? Also, will the 884 be enough to support a winch on a CBI front hitch (next mod) and full skids (will be awhile before this happens). I know I should do full OME in one shot, but trying to spend $ in smaller chuncks. Opinions please... Thank you

15. Aug 25, 2014 at 12:11 AM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    I had Billie 5100's set at 2.5 w/stock springs on my 09 DCSB and it gave me a great looking the lift. However, for ride was definitely significantly stiffer. I have a full ome lift on my 12 DCSB and it looks great and rides better than factory in my opinion. If you can only afford to go the Billie route, go that route; it looks good, but the ride will be stiff. I would recommend saving up and getting the OME.

Products Discussed in

To Top