1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transportation ideas for bikes, dirtbikes, mopeds etc

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cvisinho, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Oct 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    cvisinho

cvisinho [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport DCSB new frame edition
    Bilstein 5100's, Eibach springs, Cali Raised Amber fogs,Cali Raised side projecting ditch lights, 17" gunmetal trd pro reps w/ falken wildpeaks, MESO interior lighting, Alpine ilx Android auto head unit, rear view camera, blue sea fuse panel, mbrp cat back, Morimoto retros in Depos, Ranch cap, triple black clazzios, DIY thin lip satoshi with FJ letters, oem roof rack, AJT climate knobs, slim sub behind rear seat, fosgate speakers all around, thule cap rack
    So I got acouple sweet mopeds a few months ago and im trying to figure out how to transport them in the bed.

Im thinking of making some kind of home made box for the front wheels to go into at the front of the bed.

Has anyone made any custom setup to transport your dirtbikes, mopeds, etc in the bed?
    Or do you just get a couple d rings for the front of the bed and tie them down?

Im thinking something light enough to remove if not needed but I also like to over engineer things so maybe make it so there are a couple compartments for stuff as well?

I certainly have some ideas in my head but I want to see what anyone else has done.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  2. Oct 18, 2013 at 7:09 AM
    cvisinho

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's, Eibach springs, Cali Raised Amber fogs,Cali Raised side projecting ditch lights, 17" gunmetal trd pro reps w/ falken wildpeaks, MESO interior lighting, Alpine ilx Android auto head unit, rear view camera, blue sea fuse panel, mbrp cat back, Morimoto retros in Depos, Ranch cap, triple black clazzios, DIY thin lip satoshi with FJ letters, oem roof rack, AJT climate knobs, slim sub behind rear seat, fosgate speakers all around, thule cap rack
    Friday bump.

3. Oct 18, 2013 at 9:13 AM
    DirtEater

DirtEater Well-Known Member

Member:
    Surprise, AZ
    You should have tie down cleats already mounted in your bed. Just get some tie down straps and cinch them down. They'll be fine. Hauling bikes is easy.

4. Oct 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    Do this but with your mopeds v
    [​IMG]

5. Oct 18, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    I would suggest putting custom bed bar up front with mor tie down points

6. Oct 18, 2013 at 12:20 PM
    ajw1986

ajw1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Pitt Meadows, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    06 Money Pit
    I have D rings in all corners with the bed cleats and I never have an issue. I haul my and my girlfriends dirtbikes quite often

7. Oct 18, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    Snowman11

Snowman11 Supreme Ruler

Member:
    First Name:
    Snow
    Near Philly
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TuRD Sport
    5100 Billies
    X2, adding D rings in the front 2 corners is a MUST for carrying atv's or anything really. The trick is to buy the kit but trash everything but the D rings and mount to your front two corner bolts that hold the bed down. You have to do a little grinding, but it's not a big deal.
    There is a writeup on it if you search.

8. Oct 19, 2013 at 7:39 AM
    cvisinho

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    Im probably going to start with the front d rings for now and a bed bar in the spring. Only got a couple weeks left before i put it away for the winter.

9. Oct 19, 2013 at 7:49 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    I put a loop in the front middle of the box. Then use the factory bed clamp on the other side. Tie down dirtbikes all the time. Does the job for me

10. Oct 19, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    DirtJumper14

DirtJumper14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OR
    5100's, BDF grills and light bracket, big 3 upgrade, ATH bed braces, snugtop xtra vision shell, (bed, shell, hood, rock, front, rear, footwell, glove box, center console led lighting), MESO Gasshole, MESO dome and map lights, Flyeyez center console light, custom fuse panel, TRD CAI, toyota bed mat, 2013 black carpet, 2015 side mirrors, BedRug, AJT key fob, ultraguage, 8 cadillac horns acdf, pop n lock tailgate lock, energy suspension bushings, spicer greasable ujoints, Rigid lights everywhere, kenwood stereo, led tube taillights (red), 2018 T4R trail wheels, rokblok mud flaps, TRD skid plate, RCi gas tank skid plate
    Get this OP. No issues, strengthens the front of the bed so it doesn't flex. CCRSport bed bar. I would not trust the stock rails. Buddies 450 fell out of his regular cab with just the factory rail system.

[​IMG]

11. Oct 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    white08gt

white08gt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Tn
    Vehicle:
    05 dbl cab 4x4 sr5
    toytec lift, fj rims, a.r.e topper
    you know what Mopeds and Fat womenhave in common? they are both fun to ride, you just don't want to be seen on one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Oct 19, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    SixtyDashOne

SixtyDashOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    Collegeville, PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 ArmyGreen TRD Sport, 2007 Regular Cab 4x4
    he is from Rhode Island, where they ride Mopeds.. You are from Tennessee, where you ride your Cousin.... so all is well

13. Oct 29, 2013 at 7:19 AM
    cvisinho

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    hahaha, just spit coffee on my desk.

Yeah ill admit mopeds aren't as cool as Harleys but this thing is a blast to rip around, especially down in the beach areas here in RI where it will be almost all the time in the summers. That's the main reason I bought it.
    It currently gets to 35 but im in the process of a teardown this winter and going with a cylinder upgrade kit. Should be in the 40's by spring time!!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top