1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Asbestos in brakes???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoMan1911, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Oct 17, 2013 at 5:01 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    add to the list all the transmission clutches , manual and auto .
    Come to think of it , I remember insulating my fathers attic with Zonolite back in the 80,s . We both coughed and gasped for days after the job was done . No resparators were worn .
    Now, I mix Cyanide ,Potassium Amyl Xanthate,Copper , Vanfroth and caustic every day and have to wear a full body suit with an SCBA . Things sure have changed

2. Oct 17, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    You've got to die of something, right?

In all seriousness, you're more likely to die from crashing your vehicle than from contracting cancer from the brake pads. I'm pretty sure you are exposed to more/worse carcinogens fueling your vehicle and changing the oil...

3. Oct 17, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    Safety third! That's my motto.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  4. Oct 17, 2013 at 7:15 PM
    Razgriz

Razgriz wtf am i reading

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 White TRD 4x4
    When you walk into the fancy hotels and office buildings and see the green rock on the walls with the white streaks. thats serpentine, and the white veins are asbestos.

Surprise.

5. Oct 17, 2013 at 7:26 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I've done a bit of reading on the subject. There are three types of asbestos, the most common one is "non hooked" asbestos. The other two types are far less common and far more dangerous due to the hooks on the fibers. Brake pads are going to have the less threatening stuff in them.

Professional mechanics nowadays have options for containing the stuff better than in the past, but I know a lot of guys in their 50's that are still walking around just fine after a lifetime of working on cars. Most of them have a cigarette dangling from their lips as well. That's not to say it won't catch up with them, but from what I have read you almost have to be exposed to it on a constant daily basis AND smoke for it to kill you.

Bottom line: don't give washing the truck a second, or even first thought when it comes to asbestos.

6. Oct 17, 2013 at 7:34 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Whaaaaaat ?

all asbestos dust exposure is bad , bad in varying degrees maybe , but bad

- This is the most commonly used form of asbestos and can be found today in roofs, ceilings, walls and floors of homes and businesses. Chrysotile asbestos also was used in automobile brake linings, pipe insulation, gaskets and boiler seals. Although it is more prevalent, some studies show it takes more exposure to chrysotile than other types of asbestos to develop related diseases.

http://www.asbestos.com/asbestos/types.php

7. Oct 17, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    mostly stock
    See, it's just a Marlboro asbestos filtration device.

8. Oct 17, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    The tar lining their lungs prevents the asbestos fibers from hooking into the tissue.

9. Oct 17, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    By spraying the wheel with wheel cleaner or water, the dust is washed away without becoming airborne.

For servicing drum brakes, before you take off the drum, saturate the inside with brake cleaner, as shown by EricTheCarGuy at 2:09:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=195JUby2Uy4

10. Oct 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2

11. Oct 17, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Same page

12. Oct 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    Scary thing about asbestos is that the little hardware store sanding masks don't catch the fibers, neither do the filters in a standard vacuum cleaner.

What makes me mad is there are so many people in my past that never said a word, or even told me it was BS and there was no way anyone could get hurt by inhaling the stuff. I remember my high school auto shop teacher telling us that asbestos was outlawed in new brakes and it was perfectly okay to grind pads and shoes down on a bench grinder to "arch" them to a turned brake drum, or prevent squealing by grinding the corners off of disc pads. My understanding now is that there was one year (1994?) that car brakes were asbestos free, after that the ban was quietly lifted. I was doing brake jobs in the school shop from 94-97, and there was usually someone arching brake shoes in there with me.

Can't do anything about it now. Just go forward and resolve to stay away from the hazards. :eek:

13. Oct 17, 2013 at 9:17 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    mostly stock
    You guys are pussies. EVERYTHING causes cancer, even disneyland. Heart disease kills more than cancer, but you don't see warning labels on cheeseburgers.
    [​IMG]

14. Oct 17, 2013 at 10:04 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Not yet. Mesothelioma doesn't develop until 20-50 years after exposure:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesothelioma#Signs_and_symptoms

15. Oct 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I probably have a couple pounds of excess sawdust and other assorted crap in my lungs and body

16. Oct 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Lol , if you do the math , 40+ hours a week for 25 years , I probably float

17. Oct 17, 2013 at 10:37 PM
    Ulysiss

Ulysiss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ulysiss
    La Puente, SGV
    Vehicle:
    2013 Long Bed, PreRunner, TRD Sport
    Guys I'm in the industrial insulation trade work as a contractor for Exxon
    Mobile I'm a asbestos supervisor and i could tell you that asbestos is dangerous one fiber that can only be seen through a polarized microscope can scar your lungs and cause asbestosis asbestos is everywhere that popcorn ceiling in your house contains asbestos some big rigs still contain asbestos in there breaks driving down the freeway with your windows down is bad too and if your car does not come equipped with a hepa filter does you no good either your breaks should be fine but like every one else is saying our lungs were not meant to inhale any type fiber fuck even dirt can give you cancer and the latency period yes could take up to 20 years but that all depends on your own anatomy smoker have a 50 chance of getting cancer asbestosis if exposed to asbestos and some people could be exposed to it for along period of time and die in there sleep it just depends on the person

18. Oct 18, 2013 at 5:47 AM
    Brandon###

Brandon### Well-Known Member

Member:

Mesothelioma has a latency period of 20 to 50 years.

Sounds like the same stuff I here everyday. "It hasn't killed me in the past x years, so it must not be as bad as everyone claims."

It won't kill you today, tomorrow, or 10 years from now.... It will catch up to you eventually though when you're trying to enjoy retirement.

Keep on huffing asbestos if you want. You will be a statistic

19. Oct 18, 2013 at 7:12 AM
    western88

western88 Chris b.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    ny countryside
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 4x4 taco Barclona Red
    beather mod Bugsheild backup light mod egr vent
    beathing someone's fart is a hazdous to heath.. it is super fine turds that floats in air.. surely you can die from it.

20. Oct 18, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    Ulysiss

Ulysiss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ulysiss
    La Puente, SGV
    Vehicle:
    2013 Long Bed, PreRunner, TRD Sport
    true story

Products Discussed in

To Top