Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Snow and Winter help

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
xbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Quartermaster
Name: Jim
xbxb's Tacoma Gallery
Snow and Winter help

So what do you put in the bed of your truck to get a little extra weight and help with the traction in the snow? I could use a few ideas. Thanks
Old 10-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Sand, cement blocks. Winter tires.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbxb View Post
So what do you put in the bed of your truck to get a little extra weight and help with the traction in the snow? I could use a few ideas. Thanks
4 sand bags from homedepo. They are 50 pounds and cost $2.50 a piece. If you get stuck. You can put them in front of the tires for traction or poor the sand out and it will melt the snow and give you traction.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
scuba fanatic
kn61408 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: E7 retired
kn61408's Tacoma Gallery
I use 3 80lb sandbags each poured into 5gal buckets with lids. That way I have the weight over the wheels and can access it easily for traction. Hold the buckets in place with ratchet strap. Additionally, have 20lb bag of kitty litter. BTW 2009 DCLB Prerunner sport v6.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
6 forty pound bags of softener salt. 40lbs is easy for this old dog to load. Convience store has it stacked out by the gas pumps. Laid across the bed it doesn't move. Spring comes salt goes to the water softener.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
YESSAHBUD...heyut
mainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ol' Waltah
mainewoodsballer's Tacoma Gallery
2x4 behind the wheel wells tailgate side then sand bags, and of course ice traps
Old 10-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: Canadain bumber technician
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
I now have tire chains , Good year Ultra Grip ICE tires with studs and a 3 quarter inch steel plate that fits in the back of the box . I can still use the box this way . The steel plate weighs about 250 pounds . Living way up North in Canada , and driving over frozen lakes every day on the way to work , I need all the help I can get
Old 10-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
MACHINE is on a distinguished road

MACHINE's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought the shurtrax bladder and filled it today. Time will tell how it will hold up but I like the fact is stays where is should and isn't going to damage the bed like concrete blocks would.

http://www.shurtrax.com/MidsizeCompa...rabber-P3.aspx
Old 10-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Either steel tractor weights or a few 50 lb sand bags. Always at the front of the bed.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
xbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shedxbxb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Quartermaster
xbxb's Tacoma Gallery
I'm getting some terrific ideas guys thanks
Old 10-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
FTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
FTD's Tacoma Gallery
What's snow?

I'm kidding but I've never driven in the stuff. Probably die in the first ten minutes. Make that five.

Never even saw a snowflake until I was in my thirties. That's what living all your life in California does to a person.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
52motorhead is on a distinguished road

52motorhead's Tacoma Gallery
I put a 2004 Summit 800 in the back all winter, works great ! lol
Old 10-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
08TacoTrD is just really nice08TacoTrD is just really nice08TacoTrD is just really nice08TacoTrD is just really nice08TacoTrD is just really nice
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD View Post
What's snow?

I'm kidding but I've never driven in the stuff. Probably die in the first ten minutes. Make that five.

Never even saw a snowflake until I was in my thirties. That's what living all your life in California does to a person.
You poor soul. Spinning tires, drifting left and right and sliding while coming to a stop is something to experience.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #15
YESSAHBUD...heyut
mainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ol' Waltah
mainewoodsballer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHINE View Post
I just bought the shurtrax bladder and filled it today. Time will tell how it will hold up but I like the fact is stays where is should and isn't going to damage the bed like concrete blocks would.

http://www.shurtrax.com/MidsizeCompa...rabber-P3.aspx
Good idea but now you cant use your bed...?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #16
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
3 sand tube bags
blizzaks for shoes
Old 10-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
MACHINE is on a distinguished road

MACHINE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewoodsballer View Post
Good idea but now you cant use your bed...?
It is still useable. It is only 3 inches deep. If I have something light to put in I will just put it on top. If it is a heavy item and I would be worried about puncturing the bladder I will just drain it in my heated garage or lift it out with help.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #18
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD View Post
What's snow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08TacoTrD View Post
You poor soul. Spinning tires, drifting left and right and sliding while coming to a stop is something to experience.
Oh you can't forget the black ice that looks like the road is just wet. That's some scary stuff when it's not expected. I'm sure the first thing you'd do if you first drove on snow and ice you'd crap your pants.

I don't know how I could go without snowing during the year. You think that it would make people better drivers, it really doesn't. Some people still like doing 120 km/h in a blizzard. I've never put anything in the bed of my truck in the 2 years I've owned trucks. I have safety gear, recovery gear etc. But really, it comes down to how you drive.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #19
adam337 is a splendid one to beholdadam337 is a splendid one to beholdadam337 is a splendid one to beholdadam337 is a splendid one to beholdadam337 is a splendid one to beholdadam337 is a splendid one to beholdadam337 is a splendid one to behold
Name: adam
adam337's Tacoma Gallery
i have a leer 100 cap on mine, that is roughly 200 lbs. firestone destination AT tires that are great, but i like to keep a tube of sand in the back in case i encounter an icy slope that i can't make it up. (happened before with a different truck while i had an elderly lady with me... made 2 sand paths up the hill about 50 yrds. or so, and got me going again)
Old 10-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #20
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Sand should be mandatory in all vehicles, including fire extinguisher.

Products Discussed in this Thread