1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

UNDERCOATING???????

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RLB TRD, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Dec 4, 2013 at 9:52 PM
    Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    If I was in Mi. Like the OP I would have gone to Ann Arbor and have it done here with CF 3K. I'm pretty sure that FF and CF 3000 are pretty close in what they do having spent many years fighting rust. At sea in salt water environment with 975 degree steam (superheated) running at 1200 PSI through steel pipes and valves, I know a little bit about rust. And like most on here also feel that if you want it done right do it yourself. But after reading the post I would feel comfortable having it done there.

I have a 2013 new rig and after much research went with Corrosion Free 3000. With spray cans there is no way in hell you can reach all the areas that need protection, especially across the top of the frame where there is little room between the bottom of the body and frame. I did the best I could do but next year will pressure wash and retreat with the fluid film extension nozzle on the CF 3k cans.

That also depends on how well 3K holds up over the winter. Eesox is arguably one of the best rust prevention compounds out there for steel, and a gentleman in Maine has done many comparisons on steel wool to come to that conclusion along with several others. When your shooting a high end shotgun that costs as much as your rig most people wear gloves just to prevent the salt in your hands from creating rust on the frame. In the summer anyhow LOL, when it is teens below zero F it is to keep your hands warm. Although anything thicker than golf gloves interferes with trigger pull. Anyways one of the last test that John Boy did was comparing long term treatment of Eesox compared to FF. And IMO this is where subjective vs. objective methodology shows through. If you look at his pictures I personally think FF is as good or better than Eesoz in rust prevention. I am going do to a similar test however with the temperature hitting single digits F as a high will have to modify the methodology he used.

Bottom line is I hope CF 3000 works as well as FF. From what I have read the CF 3000 last longer with mechanical abrasion and the recoat times are 18 months which is longer than FF. It doesn't attract as much road debris as FF. The Website suggest that it doesn't drip after application "on your interlocking stones" which is a direct shot at Krown and to some extent FF. But bottom line is I hope CF 3000 can be as effective as FF at rust prevention with some extra benefits.

Products Discussed in

To Top