1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First significant accident, what's next?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GAmtber23, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Oct 20, 2013 at 7:38 PM
    GAmtber23

GAmtber23 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma Access cab 4x4
    Window tint, debadged, fog-lite anytime mod, aftermarket taillights, low profile toolbox modded with three mountain bike mounts, JVC dvd headunit, Kicker hideaway, Fox 2.5" IFP with DSM UCA's, Allpro standard (soon to be expedition) leaf pack, 255/85r16 BFG KM2's, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers, powdercoated gloss black TRD offroad rims with color matched center caps.
    I was hoping I would have kept her in pristine shape a little longer but shit happens. Long story short: I took a switchback a little too fast and ran over a hefty metal post when I didn't straighten up fast enough. I know, I know.. SO stupid. Moving forward.. So far it looks like to get her running again all I really need is a new radiator and two hard lines. To get back to where she was it looks like I'll need: a new bumper, skid plate, front most cross member, and most likely the support mounts to the skid plate. I'm fairly mechanically inclined but I have never had to replace a rad. I understand shops use a pump of some sort to flush the fluid through them. Are those necessary? Is there a thread out there to swap one yourself? I only found a brief description of the process but not a detailed walk through. Also, regarding the cross member/frame: would I be okay going to a junkyard and cutting one out to throw back up there? Frame appears to have ever so slightly moved and getting that checked by a professional is the first stop tomorrow. (I've attached an underside picture where the aluminum block bumper attaches to the frame. To me it seems there is a little more gap on one side versus the other but very minor?) I appreciate any advice in advance.

IMAG0512.jpg
    IMAG0513.jpg
    IMAG0515.jpg
    IMAG0514.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. Oct 20, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    No advice but good luck. My experience with home-done radiator replacement has led me to leave that work to professionals. If you're mechanically inclined you may have better luck than I did.

I might add that this is the best kind of accident to have. You hit someone else's vehicle or worse, someone else, and any damage to your truck will literally be the least of your worries as your life is transformed into an unrelenting hellscape of unending legal/insurance horror.

3. Oct 20, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    That bent piece isn't structural. In fact, I cut mine off and tossed it. Look at the dimples in the frame right where the radiator lines up,(6" behind the aluminum bumper thing held on with three nuts) look under there you will see what I mean...those are the "crumple zones". If those are folded the "right" way to fix it is to use a frame puller or replace the frame. The radiator is easy to swap, just don't take the lines loose on the AC condenser. You just pour coolant in, let it run for a few minutes, top it off, repeat...easy peasy. Get a good offroad bumper and skidplate and next time you won't have any damage. Get your alignment checked, if it's not too far off...I'd just fix it and drive it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  4. Oct 20, 2013 at 7:52 PM
    plurpimpin

plurpimpin Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Rad is really easy, you don't need a pump to flush it or anything, just drain and refill once the new one is installed. The radiator blew on my old camry during a road trip and I pulled the radiator and swapped it in the auto zone parking lot in about 45 min. They're a very easy DIY job because it's right at the front of the engine and easy to get to and work on.

If you think you have frame damage I'd get that checked out before spending money on anything else.

5. Oct 20, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    GAmtber23

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Window tint, debadged, fog-lite anytime mod, aftermarket taillights, low profile toolbox modded with three mountain bike mounts, JVC dvd headunit, Kicker hideaway, Fox 2.5" IFP with DSM UCA's, Allpro standard (soon to be expedition) leaf pack, 255/85r16 BFG KM2's, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers, powdercoated gloss black TRD offroad rims with color matched center caps.
    Yes that is very true! Very thankful no one else was involved and will think twice about being reckless next time. Appreciate the good vibes

Are you running a skid plate? I just wonder how you would secure one without that cross member. I have been considering a bumper for some time now and might just spring on one now. I'm just not thrilled for the added loss in mpg's but I think if I go for it I'm going to do it right and regear in addition to a boat load of various armor. Crumple zones are fine thank god. I'm feeling a little better about all this knowing that piece wasn't structural and the ease of swapping the radiator. Thanks man

6. Oct 20, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    GAmtber23

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Excellent news.

I don't think I do but there is about an inch and a half stress mark that caused the paint to flake I'll have looked at for sure. Thanks

7. Oct 20, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    mostly stock
    I'm not running one now, but I'll build another one soon. I keep destroying them. The next one will be modular so it can be replaced in pieces. I don't remember what brand this one is but I bolted it up to the bottom and used a jack on the lip to bend it to fit. You get a lot better approach angle without that cross brace hanging down there. I also welded in a piece of 4" angle to cup the bottom of the radiator....they are too expensive to not protect somehow. The factory doesn't care about that, they care about crash safety ratings. Stuff that crumples like a beer can does well in the tests...but not good offroad. I like to smash stuff, like zombies.
    IMG_0080_63b4ccc53786bd8e0e54499976b1dd7354c75ada.jpg

8. Oct 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    GAmtber23

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    I can do without a skid plate until I learn how to weld and fix that brace.. Do you happen to know the part number, or what the hell I should be searching for to replace the hard lines that are bolted to that cross member? I pinched the top one and assume it needs to have open flow. Also would there be anything else I would need to do when swapping the radiator since I would be changing those out? It appears that the lines appear to lead to the radiator (I didn't check where they come from though) and the small box before the ac condenser that is closest to the grill (not exactly sure what the hell that is lol).

BTW your truck is badass. I was watching a few of the desert runs you had on youtube. Must be a blast haha

IMAG0520.jpg
    IMAG0521.jpg
    IMAG0522.jpg

9. Oct 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    mostly stock
    Hmm, I'm not sure what those are. Mine is a 2005 manual trans, so maybe those are trans cooler lines? I order all my factory parts from these dudes, good prices and even with shipping it's cheaper than going local. It will come apart pretty easy, just take the plastic shroud off and pop the radiator out. Might even get new lines made up at NAPA for the trans cooler or whatever that is. (hope it's not AC, doesn't look like it) PARTS- https://www.google.com/search?q=toy...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  10. Oct 27, 2013 at 6:07 AM
    GAmtber23

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Thanks but fortunately it was just the cross member

Products Discussed in

To Top