1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

High Clearance Rear Bumper and Towing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AllMountainToy, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Oct 21, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    AllMountainToy

AllMountainToy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab 4X4 TRDOR
    2 3/4 OME Suspension Lift with 885, with trim packer, 1/4" top plate spacer, swaybar relo bracket. Dakar leaf pack with 3rd leaf removed. 285/70/17" BFG AT. XD Wheels with 4.5 BS, Best Top Soft Top, Undercover winch mount with Warn 8k winch (with synthetic line), Pioneer touchscreen double din head unit. 4X innovations welded sliders. roof mounted DVD system.ATO dual battery tray with dual yellow tops. Rugged ridge isolator kit.
    Hello All!

I reviewed the "bumpers" thread for 2nd gens several times and have been following a few threads on aftermarket bumpers.

Here is my situation and questions.

Situation: I have a 2011 DC Off Road with the factory tow package rated at 6500 lbs. WITH the factory rear bumper still. I am looking at getting a high clearance bumper.

Question: What high clearance bumper has an integrated hitch receiver that has a tow rating the same as the factory rating?

I have seen a couple that do have the integrated receiver but the rating is only 5k to 5500 lbs.

Thanks for any input.

2. Oct 21, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    AllMountainToy

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2 3/4 OME Suspension Lift with 885, with trim packer, 1/4" top plate spacer, swaybar relo bracket. Dakar leaf pack with 3rd leaf removed. 285/70/17" BFG AT. XD Wheels with 4.5 BS, Best Top Soft Top, Undercover winch mount with Warn 8k winch (with synthetic line), Pioneer touchscreen double din head unit. 4X innovations welded sliders. roof mounted DVD system.ATO dual battery tray with dual yellow tops. Rugged ridge isolator kit.
    Nada? They don't exist?:confused

3. Oct 21, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    Most after market fab bumpers aren't tow rated bc of the expense to get them tested. But seeing the welds and craftsmanship of the guys that put out top notch products on here I wouldn't hesitate to tow the 6,500 lbs that the factory hitch is rated to.

4. Oct 21, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    mandzach

mandzach Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a Relentless HC bumper with a hidden hitch behind the license plate. I can tell that after inspecting this bumper, it's design, it's material and welds - it is significantly more substantial than my OEM hitch setup.

If you go with one of the well known companies you have nothing to worry about.

5. Oct 23, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    AllMountainToy

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Thanks all for the input

6. Oct 23, 2013 at 1:05 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Towed a 1st gen cummins frame and drivetrain minus cab and axles about 300 miles no problem.

Products Discussed in

To Top