1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Member Needs Help: Switching from Wrangler to Tacoma!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by burton861, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Oct 21, 2013 at 7:47 PM
    burton861

burton861 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Burke
    Georgia
    Hey guys, as stated above I am a new member here.

I have a 2007 wrangler unlimited (lifted, 35in mickey thompsons, winch, the ultimate off roader) and I am very familiar with jeep forums and websites for jeep parts and accessories.

However, I will be getting a silver 2012 tacoma double cab in the next few days.

My ultimate goal for this tacoma is to put some aggressive tires and wheels on it (perhaps some trail grapplers), with maybe, MAYBE, a slight lift. I just want an aggressive stance and appearance, I do not want to severely sacrifice ride quality, I do not need amazing off road capabilities (I already have that), I do not want an extremely loud ride, and I do not want to lose too much power.

Henceforth, I have a few questions for y'all.

1) Given my goals stated above, what are some of your favorite tire size/lift combos that you have, or have seen? Pictures would be great! (Ive also seen a lot of talk about wheel backspacing in regards to the tires rubbing, which I know little about)

2) What are the best websites for tacoma "stuff"? Are there tacoma specific websites with every upgrade you could ever want for a tacoma? The reason I ask is because there is quadratec.com for Jeeps which is awesome and I would love to find a site like this for my tacoma.

3) In the research that I have done I have already seen tons of tacoma lingo that I do not understand (EX: BHLM, AAL, Satoshi, etc.) if you could point me in the right direction to explain some of this stuff that would be great!

Anything that you can help a new guy out with would be great, and I am really excited to start a new project and enter a somewhat new world with a new truck!

Thanks!

2. Oct 21, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    theTupper

theTupper White and Nerdy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Raeford, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCSB Off Road PreRunner
    AAL = Add A Leaf ...rear suspension "upgrade"
    BHLM = Black Headlight Mod
    Satoshi = dished and meshed grille modification

Check out the free and cheap mod thread for lots more explanations. :)

3. Oct 22, 2013 at 9:48 AM
    burton861

burton861 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Burke
    Georgia
    Thanks for that!

I hate to be just another new guy who asks questions that have already been asked and answered plenty of times on this forum, but I just don't have the time to search through thousands of threads.

Any suggestions for threads about different lift options, tire size, etc?

thanks

4. Oct 22, 2013 at 9:51 AM
    ziggynagy

ziggynagy All Glory To The Hypnotoad

Member:
    Stoughton, MA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Sport AC 4x4 V6 Auto Tow
    Westin step bars, led dome & map lights, tailgate hoseclamp, BluLogic, MetalMiller emblem, 35 tinted front windows, extra OEM d-rings, WeatherTech front/rear
  5. Oct 22, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    Haslefre

Haslefre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    Some flags and center console divider... lots of things on the wanted list.
    Lift for lower price - Bilstein 5100's set at setting "0" and some eibach coils or OME (old man emu) 885x coils. AAL in the rear, or you could go with a better weight hauling rear and get wheelers 3leaf add a leaf which will give you a lift to match the front.

Check out wheelersoffroad.com

Also check out the vendors section on this board. A lot of people have discount codes for TW members.

Tires, depends on the size. Are you getting a sport or off-road? Or just an SR5? If you get 16"s, you can go with 255/85/16 for a tall and skinny approach (with lift) or 265/75/16 for a one size taller than stock. KM2's are popular for the first, and anything is popular for the second.

Wheels are your preference. Go check out "SCS" wheels in the wheels and tires section. He has a few options. Otherwise, Konig Countersteers or offroads are really popular.

Products Discussed in

To Top